• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Exhaust Pop

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
Hi everyone. I've had my car for a little over a week and I've been going easy on it for the most part. The few times I've gotten it up to around 80 and 90 I hear a lot of exhaust popping. Loud and constant like rocks hitting my windshield almost. Not sure if that's an issue or not. Car doesn't show any issues so far. Just wondering if thats normal. Also worth noting it's the 10 speed.
Sponsored

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Hi everyone. I've had my car for a little over a week and I've been going easy on it for the most part. The few times I've gotten it up to around 80 and 90 I hear a lot of exhaust popping. Loud and constant like rocks hitting my windshield almost. Not sure if that's an issue or not. Car doesn't show any issues so far. Just wondering if thats normal. Also worth noting it's the 10 speed.
If it's the normal exhaust popping, it's a beautiful thing. Mine pops and gurgles more than my s550 did, and it sounds wonderful. Usually happens when engine braking or quick shifting.

If it's something else, that's more concerning.

OP
OP
RadBadChad

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
If it's the normal exhaust popping, it's a beautiful thing. Mine pops and gurgles more than my s550 did, and it sounds wonderful. Usually happens when engine braking or quick shifting.

If it's something else, that's more concerning.
I hear it when breaking too. But like I said when I get up to speed I hear a lot of pops.

slowjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT base manual
do you have the active exhaust option?

OP
OP
RadBadChad

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
I'm not sure if it's something fordpass would show. Also I had the exhaust in sport mode but normal drive mode.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Good old fashion backfiring. It happens when you back off on the gas and a little unburnt fuel makes its way into the exhaust. It the old day you would be rolling down the road and turn the key off and on resulting in a very satisfying bang. I don't recommend recreating it because those cars didn't rely on electricity for everything and sometime you would blow up the muffler.
In this case it seems to be cause by the engine not instantly adjusting to backing off on the fuel. As long as the bang is small, it 's not going to cause damage.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Mine gets an occasional pop when it's decelerating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RadBadChad

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
I'll have to see if it keeps happening.

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
I drive my DH in sport exhaust. It does pop a lot when I down shift or take my foot off the gas. I feel it's normal and it doesn't bother me at all, I like it.

I never did notice it at 80 mph. I will listen for it though.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
ford had said somewhere along the line after the grand reveal that the exhaust was refined for the 2024 model and that the cars factory tune would give it more tone and pops. I'm at 2,000 Miles on my GT and I've had crackle and pops the whole time, i absolutely love it and i don't think it has any negative effects to the car at all.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Is it a paint can rattle under heavy acceleration or pops and crackles when lifting after heavy acceleration?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I have AE. When decelerating and especially in Sport Mode, I'll get crackling and popping. :inlove:

Does the mode driven in make a difference in what you're hearing? Can you post an audio?

Last edited:

SM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT premiuim. 2023 Ford Expolorer ST
one of the benefits of driving a car with a high compression engine.

OP
OP
RadBadChad

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
I drove it in normal mode on the way to work this morning and got up to 85 and didn't hear a thing. I also did it on a different road. Yesterday I was in sport mode. It legitimately sounds like rocks hitting my windshield nothing like the normal exhaust pop I hear when decelerating. Closer to a crack than a pop. Fordpass doesn't show any issues.
Sponsored