• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Electric drift handbrake retrofit?

Mulletdaddee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 06 mustang drift car
Hello, I'm currently in the market for a s650 GT to use for daily and occasional drift use. I would like to get a base model for the smaller brakes so I can run 18's mainly due to drift tire sizes/availability/cost but I really don't love that I have to get a Performance pack to get the electronic drift brake so I'm wondering if anyone knows what part numbers I would need for the retrofit and if it would be possible to use FORSCAN to update the infotainment sys to include the functions for drift mode to use it properly.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I am not sure that is an issue. I think all the 2024s come with the ability to have a drift brake. I am not into wearing out tires in a hurry but I think you need to set up the correct app and then the hand brake functions as a drift brake. Look at page 407-408 in the manual.

Mrswear2god

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I am not sure that is an issue. I think all the 2024s come with the ability to have a drift brake. I am not into wearing out tires in a hurry but I think you need to set up the correct app and then the hand brake functions as a drift brake. Look at page 407-408 in the manual.
You need the pp to get the hand brake instead of the button

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
You need the pp to get the hand brake instead of the button
I am not sure on that point because I haven't seen a GT and my non handling package Dark Horse has the handle. It appears you get it no matter what with the Dark Horse.
It does pose the question as to if the app is present in the GT without the PP. If it's not, things get a little more complicated.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
in theory you can retrofit the drift brake, but in reality it would require replacing the center console, getting all the parts for the handle, and replacing the center console+dashboard wiring harness, due to a different pin layout between drift brake and regular parking brake. labor times for the wiring harness alone are likely in the 18 to 20 hour range

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
I'm also almost positive you have to get the PP to get the drift brake. I love my S650 but the one thing I absolutly hate is the fake hand break. I just can't get used to the brake not have the master cylinder feel. I know it actually works but not hearing that clicking sound when I pull it up makes me cringe almost every time

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Someone should gen up an accessory with a weighted spring that you would set in place to flip [the] switch but then the software question comes up …

FazeJena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Gt Premium
I bought a GT with no PP but Brembos so I have two brakes on my rear tires. I want to assume there is something you could do to get a drift brake but I'm not sure how to

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I'm also almost positive you have to get the PP to get the drift brake. I love my S650 but the one thing I absolutly hate is the fake hand break. I just can't get used to the brake not have the master cylinder feel. I know it actually works but not hearing that clicking sound when I pull it up makes me cringe almost every time
I would rather have a cable operated e-brake as well, but I love the fact that I can grab and pull a handle over the button. Haven't used the drift brake feature yet. Still breaking her in with just 290 miles on the odometer.
Sponsored