• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DH OR WAIT NEXT S650 SHELBY !!!

lx_7mood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX92,COBRA04,DH
MY ORDER OF DH IS finally arrived at the dealership ( 700A, EMBER BLUE, A10, NO recaro's, NO HANDLING PACKAGE ) exactly what i wanted, its my first ever coyote, honestly i like the exterior look of S650, love the dash screens, but a little confused wether i should go for it, or wait to see whats the upcoming variants of the s650( boss, shelby,...etc ) , specially with every body is telling that the DH is heavier and slower than previous s550, its not gonna be my daily drive car, plan for going to track and drag just to have fun, GUYS NEED YOUR HELP TO DECIDE. THANKS!
Sponsored

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
The other cars s650 variants will in increase In weight. So I would not make that an issue. As far as it being slow, I wouldn't say slow. People were expecting the s650 to to come put like it was on steroids and stuff. The many issue for hate is the price that it. They improved the handling of the car and what not. But if you want to wait, there is notting wrong with that.

But you also have to ask yourself how much will dealerships mark that car up tbh. If I were you, I would test drive a Mach 1 then test drive a dark horse and go from there. You are going to have to same issue by the time you wait on the next s650 variant, you might wait again for the next one. If you think you can get the next variant at MRSP then I'd wait.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
The DH is not a straightforward win like a GT350 or Porsche GT4. This has to do a lot with your previous car experience, budget, and most importantly your desires for the car. Me personally, I wanted a car that had close to GT350 handling yet with a different look and a more reliable motor. If all this EV stuff wasn't going on I wouldn't care about a reliable or proven power train. The DH checked my boxes. Any future variant are likely to be more expensive and potentially more fussy on the outside. I prefer a simply aggressive look.

Based on your spec, my suggestion is to wait. You should be able to pick up your spec in a year or so if you don't like the variant.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
MY ORDER OF DH IS finally arrived at the dealership ( 700A, EMBER BLUE, A10, NO recaro's, NO HANDLING PACKAGE ) exactly what i wanted, its my first ever coyote, honestly i like the exterior look of S650, love the dash screens, but a little confused wether i should go for it, or wait to see whats the upcoming variants of the s650( boss, shelby,...etc ) , specially with every body is telling that the DH is heavier and slower than previous s550, its not gonna be my daily drive car, plan for going to track and drag just to have fun, GUYS NEED YOUR HELP TO DECIDE. THANKS!
Last month, I found a car with those exact same options sitting on a dealership literally across the street from Flat Rock Assembly Plant where it was built.

Only you can decide. I wanted the DH (not the blue one above), so I bought it!

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
My DH has been on order since the 1st of September (through my dealership in VA Beach). But lately, I've been looking at C8's ever since I've discovered that the DH's straight line performance it not what I thought it would be...only Motortrend said that the DH (with an automatic) could do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds...however, I haven't found one DH owner posting this (or even a video) that backs this up. So it seems that the DH is an excellent handler, but in the straights it falters somewhat (probably due to it's immense weight of 4000lbs). Even though it boasts 500HP, 418lbs of torque is not exactly a lot (when compared to the Camaro SS with 460lbs of torque and the C8 with 470lbs of torque...albeit a 6.2L motor). You would have thought the Ford engineers could have come up with 525 or even 550 horsepower and increased the torque another 30lbs or so. Then it could pretty much beat the Camaro SS in the quarter mile. I think they may have hyped up the DH a little too much and then some dealers are asking up to $20K as an added market adjustment (luckily my dealer is charging the MSRP)...but just look at Autotrader and you'll see about 450 DH's for sale across the country (and Canada). Bottom line: they're not selling as quickly as Ford would have hoped...it might be due to the added market values, but also the fact that the DH really isn't that much faster then the standard GT. Some dealers are starting to post DH prices below the MSRP...but they will have to go even lower to unload them. If you fully load a GT (performance pack, etc.) despite being 14 HP less than a DH, that GT will pretty much keep up with DH in a straight line.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The dark horse is ok. It’s basically a GT performance package. The dark horse actually seems like it would have been the successor to the GT, but Ford decided to squeeze its customers for a few dollars more by calling it a new model.

If you want a car to be excited about, wait for the performance models.

Think Mach 1 vs. gt500.

good things come to those who wait.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Seems to be the same thread over and over again. Just go get a C8 or 2018 GT350. I got no problem with that. Don't beat yourself up, those are solid cars. Here is a recent video of headers adding about 30HP. Stuff is coming so pick your lane and go.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Your are obviously not exited so I would wait…By then you will see what other variants will bring to the table or still can pick up a DH for less money because the economy is only getting worse and prices are finally coming down with dealers sitting on inventory ! I was in the market for a DH too but expected a little more in the engine (Torque) and chassis (beat alpha) department especially for the money Ford asks for it…Maybe a new Boss will solve that problem as the last Boss 302 and Boss Laguna Seca were pretty exciting cars when they came out…I would still take the over a GT350 despite their live axle because of reliability and engine sound despite their live axle…

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
There is always something new coming .... Fortunately we never know what is going to happen

It could be like the guys who bought the last year of the 4.6 just to have the Coyote launched next year or it could be like those who could have bought one of the last 5.0s but got stuck with the 96 4.6 car ...

If you like it ...buy it....

Yeah the GT500 is faster- but not everyone likes it better
Same could be true for the Dark Horse- they might launch something that could be faster...but the Dark Horse might provide a better driving experience

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. Cut & paste the same boilerplate whine. Just another day here on Mustang7G.com.

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium, PP
The DH is Ford's attempt to maximize profits on the Mustang. If they can establish a performance variant that doesn't require them to pay Shelby a licensing agreement, there is more profit in it for them.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
I'd wait until after the 60th anniversary in April. I doubt Ford would pass up the opportunity to reveal something at that show. I'm thinking something with a 5.4 in it.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
If there wer anything of note coming for 60th we’d know by now.

again…60th anniversary is
Not a thing, they’re doing a gay revival tour.

CT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Next Shelby will be $100k+

if that’s in your budget rock and roll.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 Lightning
I am going to make a guess here about the next performance mustangs. Purely my own ideas and no inside knowledge, but as a collector.
  • My personal opinion is that they will release a 60th anniversary "appearance package" with maybe a few optional addons like special wheels, graphics, badging, and a certificate. These packages always do well and depending on exclusivity do very well in the collector market. GT350R Heritage Edition is an example of this.
  • I think it is too early to release a performance variant to compete with the Dark Horse yet. Ford went all in on the Dark Horse racing concept and it is doing well so I think they will need at least 3 years to establish the brand before higher end performance models will be released. Not including the GTD which is a class by itself.
  • I do not believe Ford will release a Shelby for a couple more years, not because of licensing but to maintain exclusivity. They want to build the Dark Horse brand up and that will take a few years. The cost of the licensing is a non-issue, although expensive it will just be added to the cost and the MSRP will reflect it. Shelby American sells Super Snakes and other variants for anywhere from the low $100k range to the $200K range all day long. Ford knows people will pay well into the $100K range and they will have lines to buy them and they will sell out. Shely hasn't even released a vehicle based on the gen 7 yet and I thought that would be announced after the release of the Whipple supercharger for the 24 model.
  • The Mach 1 previous iteration was a direct replacement for the GT350 and held the spot until the Dark Horse was released as a similar package with different branding. There is no licensing issue but Mach 1 would compete with Dark Horse for the same market segment.
I would think some things Ford could do to sweeten the pot for us enthusiasts could be:
  • Add the Tremec DCT to the Dark Horse as an option. They could even make it expensive and it would still sell very well.
  • Add the Tremec 3160 as an option for GT PP. Anyone on this forum that wants a manual would probably opt for this regardless of price.
  • Add an option for a setup package to prepare the vehicle for the FP800S package like upgraded axles, bigger brakes, sway bars and springs, extra cooling upgrades, etc. Also add an appearance option for setup package also. Then you could offer the FP800S package as a dealer installed option so that it could be financed with the car.
That was just my ramblings. I think the Dark Horse is going to be the performance variant for a couple more years. I don't think Ford will add a new engine anytime soon so we are going to have the 5.0 and maybe a 5.2 engine. I'll bet they do not release another supercharged version because of emissions rules.
Sponsored