• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dealer Test drive refusal?!?!

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Was the car in the showroom? Did it look perfect? Was it staged?

Sometimes an anal dealership is not a bad thing. Means they have been treating the car like their baby, which is exactly like how you will treat it.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for letting you test drive but sometimes their are other themes at play. I am sure you are aware of some of the posts on here about spacers being left on suspension, under body strakes missing, crooked spoilers... I want a dealer who respects the car and prepares it with care.
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Was the car in the showroom? Did it look perfect? Was it staged?

Sometimes an anal dealership is not a bad thing. Means they have been treating the car like their baby, which is exactly like how you will treat it.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for letting you test drive but sometimes their are other themes at play. I am sure you are aware of some of the posts on here about spacers being left on suspension, under body strakes missing, crooked spoilers... I want a dealer who respects the car and prepares it with care.
When I was shopping for a 2016 Z06, it was sitting in the middle of the showroom floor. They opened the big glass walls/doors and got it out so I could test drive it. That was a $110K+ car.

Guess what? I bought it. Had they not let me test drive it, I would have walked.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
While reading this thread, I thought of the mileage at pick-up thread.

https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/how-many-miles-were-on-your-car-at-delivery.159332/

Every situation, individual and dealer is going to be different.

From the perspective of the salesperson and the dealer, I can understand their position. They probably get people walking in all day wanting to drive a car like a DH. The bad experiences from walk-ins involving DH-like vehicles might have out-weighed the good, causing the dealer to implement the policy on those types of cars.

Did they have only one DH or several? That could have influenced their decision as well. They might have struggled to get it at the time and wanted to keep the mileage and appearance as best possible. Being a black car, it's going to highlight every blemish picked up along the way.

It reads that you didn't have a relationship or history with this dealer or the salesperson; it's one factor of many. Having a previous purchase relationship can open doors not available to others.

I think the salesperson did fail in attempting to sell you anything. "I'm sorry, we have a standing policy: walk-ins don't drive some of our more specialized models, like the DH. But let's do this: you can study, sit and adjust the show model as much as you like, to get a feel for it. While you're doing that, I'll bring around a nicely-optioned GT and we'll go for a drive." During that test drive, I'd point out some of the distinctions, in an attempt to up-sell you to the DH.

Agree with @JAM486HP : in the end, they did you a favor. The car wasn't the spec you wanted anyway. You're better off placing an order.

My experience was along the lines of @Q6543 : I knew I wanted my car, my spec. It was my first Mustang. Didn't test drive one. Didn't sit in one. Negotiated a price, placed the order, shook hands and left. Since receiving the car, I've not had a moment of doubt or regret.

YMMV.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
You could just find another dealer to test drive one at. I am not sure what the point is whining on the internet.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Wow, I guess it's hit or miss. I did the same drove up in my new Raptor, which is worth more $$$ than dark horse. Lol Go figure...
But it’s from the same fam, for all they know, you test driving from another. Show up in a jewel from a competitor and let them come to you. Just kinda browse around and make faces but show interest. Sorry to say, since i really dont know you but, aint handing the keys over to some kid that just rolls up and walks in.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 23 Bronco Sp, 12 Boss, 66 V8 Coupe
so i had this kind of experience when i purchased my Boss 302. so the town where the dealership is has a college, and its a pretty popular college in this area of PA, so i asked about a test drive and they had a no test drive policy. the car was sitting in the showroom also. due to the local college they had kids come in all the time and want to test drive cars and then leave...after awhile the caught on and shut things down.... not all cars have this policy but the Mustangs did. of course when they saw me i was not the young kids and he understood and explained to me why and asked if i was ok with that... they went out of their way to do what they could. so i think in some cases there are valid reasons.... in my case i accepted and was glad, because i drove out knowing i was the only one other than the service tech who drove the car. and it only had 9mi when i picked it up.
my normal dealer who i buy cars from will let me drive anything that comes in (unless its already sold) no matter what car/truck it is. they know me, they trust me, and they know i will come back again.
that is the dealer you want to have. not the one solely for $.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who thinks a potential customer should spend $40K to $80K (or more) without test driving is being nothing short of unreasonable.

And stereotyping people based on how they look - too young - why is that OK? Should we ban others from test driving, too, because of the color of their skin because we believe they have a higher propensity to steal? Come on ...

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who thinks a potential customer should spend $40K to $80K (or more) without test driving is being nothing short of unreasonable.

And stereotyping people based on how they look - too young - why is that OK? Should we ban others from test driving, too, because of the color of their skin because we believe they have a higher propensity to steal? Come on ...
Why do yung’ns pay more in car insurance…

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do yung’ns pay more in car insurance…
The same reason minorities pay more in car insurance: Higher risk group.

However, both are stereotyping. Being young doesn't mean you're a poor driver. Being a different race doesn't mean you steal cars. This is not rocket science.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
I ordered my 24GT convertible before the cars were released, so I couldn’t test drive one. When my car was delivered they wanted me to test drive before I accepted delivery. I have a relationship with this dealer, and the salesperson.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same reason minorities pay more in car insurance: Higher risk group.

However, both are stereotyping. Being young doesn't mean you're a poor driver. Being a different race doesn't mean you steal cars. This is not rocket science.
Why bring up groups vs behavior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium (sold). 2017 mustang GT premium
Hey guys,

I built my dark horse online about 100x.. and decided to goto a dealer that has 1 in stock locally, it's black, everything which I'm not a huge fan of, even black calipers... but decide to just go and look at it. Ya never know.. maybe go home w it afterwards instead of waiting 9 months to be built... I really want Atlas Blue metallic, premium package, non HP package, 10 speed and blue calipers, this is my vision!!!
So I get to dealer and want to look at stang, and really want to test drive it to see how it feels, especially the recaros which I hate.. but I'm open minded lol. I ask salesman for test drive and he flat out refuses, goes on about some dealership policy...
I have never had any ford dealer refuse me a test drive on mustangs before. I've test driven GT500s and my Roush stage 3 car before i bought, Mach Ones and even my Raptor before i bought... I even driven the Raptor R..
So I explain to him that I am not willing to drop $70Gs on a visual only, I need to drive the car, maybe just go around the block, not a 5 mile test drive. He blatantly tells me No... I respectfully walk away and tell him forget it, done deal...
Has anyone ever had a Ford dealer refuse a test drive before? I mean I drove up in my new F150 Raptor and stated numerous times that I have a sincere interest in there DH and def not a tire kicker.. I'm shocked... saddened actually.

Anthony
I totally agree with you But also think … you are ordering one and have never tested it either

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why bring up groups vs behavior
You literally stereotyped young drivers (i.e., "some kid") based on behavior: Bad driving is a behavior. Stealing a car is a behavior.
But it’s from the same fam, for all they know, you test driving from another. Show up in a jewel from a competitor and let them come to you. Just kinda browse around and make faces but show interest. Sorry to say, since i really dont know you but, aint handing the keys over to some kid that just rolls up and walks in.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You literally stereotyped young drivers (i.e., "some kid") based on behavior: Bad driving is a behavior. Stealing a car is a behavior.
Henry McCarty (September 17 or November 23, 1859 – July 14, 1881), alias William H. Bonney, better known as Billy the Kid, was an American outlaw and gunfighter of the Old West who is alleged to have killed 21 men before he was shot and killed at the age of 21.
Sponsored