• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse WRECKED in transit!!!!

OP
OP
rchandler9

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
rent one for 3+ days and make sure. I was "enamoured" to a degree as well till I drove one. Nyet!
I have driven several of them. And one of them I was able to take for the afternoon.

I will say that the DH drives just as well. It puts the power down well too. Not as well as the C8 but VERY good for a mustang. The Technology is better in the DH. Sound system is way better in C8. DH engine/exhaust sound is head and shoulders above the C8. But no matter what, the DH will never be a mid-engine sports car. And I like the hard top convertible of the C8.

With all that being said I would be a DH owner if it had not been wrecked in shipping. I liked the DH enough to purchase. But having to wait another 6mo-who knows how long for another one. I will just pickup a C8 and be happy. They were/are equal in my eyes (given the DH is about $10-15k less). And to add, I would choose a DH (premium) over a 1LT C8 if they are at the same price.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Unfortunately, most dealers or transport services don't care about how passionate we are about them.
Deal with privately owned transport services. They may not be passionate about the cars they haul even though some are worth over a million but they do care about their insurance rates. They document the car when they pick it up and note every scratch. If the customer finds any damage, the service has to cover it out of there profits or with an insurance claim. Damage could easily cost them what they made on the run so they are very careful about it.
Rails on the other hand are union and who knows which of the many hands that handled the car caused the damage.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Deal with privately owned transport services. They may not be passionate about the cars they haul even though some are worth over a million but they do care about their insurance rates. They document the car when they pick it up and note every scratch. If the customer finds any damage, the service has to cover it out of there profits or with an insurance claim. Damage could easily cost them what they made on the run so they are very careful about it.
Rails on the other hand are union and who knows which of the many hands that handled the car caused the damage.
Union made used to mean we are trained better, do better jobs, take more care and get paid better.

Last edited:

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Back in the 60's and 70's the quality of workmanship on American cars was pretty bad. I had cars with huge body panel gaps and trim pieces that were as much as 1/4" off from panel to panel. We just pretty much laughed it off and accepted it. That's just the way cars were made. Enter the Japanese and things changed drastically. Workmanship and quality became more important to American buyers. I'm not saying every Japanese car was great, but they certainly shook up the auto industry. It irks me when people say it's not big deal or that's just the way it is. It doesn't have to be that way. It's that way because we as consumers accept it. I know it's difficult to turn down a vehicle that you've waited 5 or 6 months for with "minor" damage. In my humble opinion, accepting these issues is part of the problem. Why make an effort to improve something if we as consumers just toss it up to the building or transporting process? If I accept it, so will the next person, and so on and so on. That's the way they look at it. Good for you rchandler9. :like:

Last edited:

OP
OP
rchandler9

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in the 60's and 70's the quality of workmanship on American cars was pretty bad. I had cars with huge body panel gaps and trim pieces that were as much as 1/4" off from panel to panel. We just pretty much laughed it off and accepted it. That's just the way cars were made. Enter the Japanese and things changed drastically. Workmanship and quality became more important to American buyers. I'm not saying every Japanese car was great, but they certainly shook up the auto industry. It irks me when people say it's not big deal or that's just the way it is. It doesn't have to be that way. It's the way because we as consumers accept it. I know it's difficult to turn down a vehicle that you've waited 5 or 6 months for with "minor" damage. In my humble opinion, accepting these issues is part of the problem. Why make an effort to improve something if we as consumers just toss it up to the building or transporting process? If I accept it, so will the next person, and so on and so on. That's the way they look at it. Good for you rchandler9. :like:
Thank you. It was VERY hard to not accept it. I loved the car. But minor damage is not okay for a new car in my opinion. And my gut was telling me that that minor damage they told me about was going to become major damage I would have to deal with for years!

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Maybe to you. To me it was wrecked, and what I think was the only thing that mattered.
Totally agree. But how you describe it here matters to everyone who reads it. We think a wrecked car has far more damage than a panel that got ripped off the bottom, and pulled a couple clips off the bumper. Not saying your choice didn't make sense to walk away because it mattered to you. It just doesn't sound like the car was in any way wrecked ("destroyed or severely damaged").

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Union used to mean we are trained better, do better jobs, take more care and get paid better.
It should mean that but even from the start union management had to provide better working conditions and better pay. Granted some jobs were pretty bad and unions were needed to protect the members from mistreatment.
In the private sector, often your job is tied to your performance. I knew if I didn't deliver my absolute best, I would be looking for a job and a few times, I was looking for a job because management didn't do it's absolute best. Water over the dam.
Anyway, I kind of like how the carpenters union and some of the other trades function. You call from the hall and if they don't do the job, you send them back to the hall. When they return to the hall they are at the back of the queue. This gives them and incentive to be as valuable on the job as possible so they will be the last to be sent back. It makes everybody happy except the person who does a poor job.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in the 60's and 70's the quality of workmanship on American cars was pretty bad. I had cars with huge body panel gaps and trim pieces that were as much as 1/4" off from panel to panel. We just pretty much laughed it off and accepted it. That's just the way cars were made. Enter the Japanese and things changed drastically. Workmanship and quality became more important to American buyers. I'm not saying every Japanese car was great, but they certainly shook up the auto industry. It irks me when people say it's not big deal or that's just the way it is. It doesn't have to be that way. It's the way because we as consumers accept it. I know it's difficult to turn down a vehicle that you've waited 5 or 6 months for with "minor" damage. In my humble opinion, accepting these issues is part of the problem. Why make an effort to improve something if we as consumers just toss it up to the building or transporting process? If I accept it, so will the next person, and so on and so on. That's the way they look at it. Good for you rchandler9. :like:
The Japanese cars and trucks of the time were durable and better built. We had a blacksmith come out to shoe our horses and he had that little truck loaded down like it was much bigger. He said it was the best truck he ever owned. I have noticed the Fords I am getting now are solid. No rattles, body flex or anything that indicates a weakness. Some of that is due to racing. It used to be body flexing was part of the suspension. They figured out that if the body was stiff and all the flex was in the suspension, the car would track and grip the road better. American cars have greatly improved but unfortunately they gave away much of the market before they figured it out.

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
My DH took 3 months to deliver! I sent a message to my salesman today stating I wanted my deposit returned due to the 3 months my DH was in shipping, and because I was afraid something happened to it. 20 min later I get a picture of my DH being delivered…coincidence? I think not. I go to pick it up this evening and they inform me that at some point in the shipping process one of the splash/aero shields had been ripped off. I was told the car was okay to drive, per mechanic, and the part had been ordered (to be delivered and fixed the end of January).

I test drove the DH and LOVED it! Amazing vehicle. I have recently been cross shopping C8s due to the drop in prices. I like the DH just as much as any C8 I have driven. Tech is incredible, sound is INCREDIBLE, and design is amazing.

After the test drive I noticed the drivers side headlight had condensation in it. I checked under the front bumper and saw where the shield had been ripped out! Yes, literally ripped out. I then pushed/pulled on the bumper itself. On the driver side it would move approximately 4-6mm away from the hood and 1/4 panel under pressure. It also made a terrible squeaking sound.

I checked one of the other s650 GT on the lot and the bumper was solid.

I informed my salesman and the sales manager of the issues and refused delivery until all of this is fixed.

At this point, I am unsure if I want to take delivery of a wrecked car at all!

What would you do?

IMG_2804.jpeg

Edit:
I refused delivery of the car completely. My dealer returned my deposit and told me I could order another with no deposit.
That is a tough situation. Sounded like the dealership did everything right. Unfortunately when there are delays in shipping it can be from a ton of issues. We've had issues where cars sit for a comparable amount of time and its because of a dead battery at the shipping yard.

I personally wouldn't be scared of it if everything was fixed right (it would still be quicker to get everything fixed than having to wait 5-6 months for the next dark horse order) but I understand some people don't feel that way.

OP
OP
rchandler9

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree. But how you describe it here matters to everyone who reads it. We think a wrecked car has far more damage than a panel that got ripped off the bottom, and pulled a couple clips off the bumper. Not saying your choice didn't make sense to walk away because it mattered to you. It just doesn't sound like the car was in any way wrecked ("destroyed or severely damaged").
I can see how you read it as more damaged than wrecked. If the shield was the only issue I would have felt the same. But after my evaluation of the car there was potentially much more damage to the front end. The front end of the Dark horse has many coolers and additional Track "stuff" built into that same area. I did not know what all could or was effected. But I did know that the whole front drivers side was loose and squeaked (comparted to the other s650 GT on the lot and the passenger side of my DH). This is when I decided that the car went from "damaged" to "wrecked". My biggest concern and the reason I walked away is because my gut was telling me that I would be dealing with many more issues. And issues that the dealer was not open to investigating to soothe my suspicions. Hopefully this clears up why I chose "wrecked" and not just "damaged".

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
I can see how you read it as more damaged than wrecked. If the shield was the only issue I would have felt the same. But after my evaluation of the car there was potentially much more damage to the front end. The front end of the Dark horse has many coolers and additional Track "stuff" built into that same area. I did not know what all could or was effected. But I did know that the whole front drivers side was loose and squeaked (comparted to the other s650 GT on the lot and the passenger side of my DH). This is when I decided that the car went from "damaged" to "wrecked". My biggest concern and the reason I walked away is because my gut was telling me that I would be dealing with many more issues. And issues that the dealer was not open to investigating to soothe my suspicions. Hopefully this clears up why I chose "wrecked" and not just "damaged".
Totally understand why you walked away. Respectfully disagree that it was anything akin to wrecked. But the word definitely evokes strong sentiment about a high level of damage.

OP
OP
rchandler9

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a tough situation. Sounded like the dealership did everything right. Unfortunately when there are delays in shipping it can be from a ton of issues. We've had issues where cars sit for a comparable amount of time and its because of a dead battery at the shipping yard.

I personally wouldn't be scared of it if everything was fixed right (it would still be quicker to get everything fixed than having to wait 5-6 months for the next dark horse order) but I understand some people don't feel that way.
Thanks for the reply. I walked away more because the dealership did not offer to look into the additional damage that I brought to their attention. The skid/aero plate was only a small portion of why I walked away. Had it only been that, I would have the car today, and been a very happy man.

To be fair it is much easier for you to say that because you personally know everyone at your dealership that would have evaluated the car. I was not that fortunate. I met all of them face to face for the first time that evening. It was VERY hard for me to walk away. But I feel that I made the right decision.

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
Thanks for the reply. I walked away more because the dealership did not offer to look into the additional damage that I brought to their attention. The skid/aero plate was only a small portion of why I walked away. Had it only been that, I would have the car today, and been a very happy man.

To be fair it is much easier for you to say that because you personally know everyone at your dealership that would have evaluated the car. I was not that fortunate. I met all of them face to face for the first time that evening. It was VERY hard for me to walk away. But I feel that I made the right decision.
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I get where you are coming from.

Americancoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
My DH took 3 months to deliver! I sent a message to my salesman today stating I wanted my deposit returned due to the 3 months my DH was in shipping, and because I was afraid something happened to it. 20 min later I get a picture of my DH being delivered…coincidence? I think not. I go to pick it up this evening and they inform me that at some point in the shipping process one of the splash/aero shields had been ripped off. I was told the car was okay to drive, per mechanic, and the part had been ordered (to be delivered and fixed the end of January).

I test drove the DH and LOVED it! Amazing vehicle. I have recently been cross shopping C8s due to the drop in prices. I like the DH just as much as any C8 I have driven. Tech is incredible, sound is INCREDIBLE, and design is amazing.

After the test drive I noticed the drivers side headlight had condensation in it. I checked under the front bumper and saw where the shield had been ripped out! Yes, literally ripped out. I then pushed/pulled on the bumper itself. On the driver side it would move approximately 4-6mm away from the hood and 1/4 panel under pressure. It also made a terrible squeaking sound.

I checked one of the other s650 GT on the lot and the bumper was solid.

I informed my salesman and the sales manager of the issues and refused delivery until all of this is fixed.

At this point, I am unsure if I want to take delivery of a wrecked car at all!

What would you do?

IMG_2804.jpeg

Edit:
I refused delivery of the car completely. My dealer returned my deposit and told me I could order another with no deposit.
Dude that sucks. I ordered mine and it came in with a chip in the paint on the driver's side quarter. I refused delivery. And went to another dealer and bought the exact same spec
Sponsored