• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse vs Shelby

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Funny thing is, it was Ford who made Shelby. Back when he was a broke dick former oil prospector and chicken farmer, he went to Ford hat in hand asking for some cash and engines to develop a car that would eat the Corvette for lunch. Thus began the "Powered by Ford" Cobra, and the Shelby marque.

Needless to say, both companies profited tremendously from the joint venture. It is said Lee Iacocca turned to Shelby in 1964 and asked if he could sportify the new Mustang, to which ol' Carroll replied "I don't know, it's a secretary's car..."

So now that Shelby does nothing more than put badges and special paint on cars, I would venture future collectors could consider a Ford in the same realm as a Shelby, except there's 3 important factors in determining the value of a collectible:
1. Is it enjoyable and desirable? (DH yes)
2. Is it well preserved? (DH maybe)
3. Is it rare (DH, not really)

As long as the DH remains plentiful, it won't compare against hard to find Shelby variants. And that's where it ends. Remember: Craftsman tools also commanded a premium in the past, but now they're just a badge...
oh yeah, no doubt here Ford can easily carry that status, just look at the GT, thing sold for 400+k from factory, these days you would be hard pressed to find one under a million. the Mustang GTD is most likely going to be the same thing.
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
the body is another area. The 350 and 500 look completely separate from all other mustangs with extensive body work.
This one is huge- the GT350/GT500 are actually wider then the standard GT - the front height is lowered something like 60mm compared to Mustangs - so the radiator support is custom to GT350s and GT500s made from a carbon fiber composite

So Ford made the hood lower and fenders wider compared to a Mustang GT

Speaking of that - the R rear spoiler is actually carbon fiber as well- I believe buying the spoiler new from Ford is like 8K or 9K or something crazy like that .....

I mean Jay Leno not only bought a 350- but loved the motor so much he bought an additional motor to put on display

The funny part is we are all discussing in here while the majority of the population- if you parked a Dark Horse next to a GT350 next to an EcoBoost lowered on wheels with a spoiler- they would just think nice Mustang when they saw all 3 lol

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
The Dark Horse is just a performance trim level much like the Bullitt or Mach 1. Respectable and special? Yes... ...but don't make yourself look like a šŸ¤” by saying it is a more special vehicle than an actual Shelby.
Letā€˜s seeā€¦ There is the Dark Horse, then there is the S, the R, the GT4, the GT3, the NASCAR, the Funny Car and the Super Car, ALL derived from the Dark Horse. This goes waaay beyond just a trim level AND waaay beyond Shelby.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, Subaru Forester, 1971 Chevelle
Interesting how the 350 is gone but certainly not forgotten. It set the bar so high the Mach guys and Dark Horse owners are still trying to beat it down. I like all 3 but no way I'd replace my 350 with either.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Letā€˜s seeā€¦ There is the Dark Horse, then there is the S, the R, the GT4, the GT3, the NASCAR, the Funny Car and the Super Car, ALL derived from the Dark Horse. This goes waaay beyond just a trim level AND waaay beyond Shelby.

NASCAR??? umm....ok so the Dark Horse is the Ford Taurus of Mustangs!! Hell I should have bought a Taurus when I had the chance....I mean they derived NASCARs off it so it MUST be good

S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Shelby 1706018940847

Wait wait you said drag car......OK no not the Ford Taurus ....the Dark Horse is the Pinto of Mustangs!
S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Shelby 1706019041151

Yep your right- the Dark Horse is much more like Fords fine other race car based vehicles - the mighty Taurus and often overlooked Pinto then the much inferior Shelby

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting how the 350 is gone but certainly not forgotten. It set the bar so high the Mach guys and Dark Horse owners are still trying to beat it down. I like all 3 but no way I'd replace my 350 with either.

Shelby living rent free in some peoples heads lol

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PS you all know I love the Dark Horse too....Im just messin with you like I would any other family member

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing with the 13 and 14 GT500, same thing with the 07-09 GT500, same thing with the Boss 302, same thing with the SVT cobra terminator, same thing with the SVT cobra R. Every generation has its benchmark car.

The reason it's the Dark Horse vs the GT350 is because Ford hasn't released their Ford Performance top of the line mustang yet. From the rumors though, that will most likely also be a Dark Horse S.

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
Yep your right- the Dark Horse is much more like Fords fine other race car based vehicles - the mighty Taurus and often overlooked Pinto then the much inferior Shelby
Just like Fake News taking things waaay out of context. The comparison is not even closely relevant.

No one is saying the Shelby is inferior but its time has come and gone. Itā€˜s time to move on and the name plate that will lead the charge going forward is Dark Horse. Ford is 100% committed to making that a success. Itā€™s the right agenda at the right time.

And letā€™s be clear about something, the name Mustang always precedes the name Shelby and Shelby wasnā€™t always with Ford, so keep that in mind when you start rattling sabers.

Last edited:

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
I would say it was Voodoo that did that. ;)

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just like Fake News taking things waaay out of context. The comparison is not even closely relevant.

No one is saying the Shelby is inferior but its time has come and gone. Itā€˜s time to move on and the name plate that will lead the charge going forward is Dark Horse. Ford is 100% committed to making that a success. Itā€™s the right agenda at the right time.

And letā€™s be clear about something, the name Mustang always proceeds the name Shelby and Shelby wasnā€™t always with Ford, so keep that in mind when you start rattling sabers.
Funny because Dark Horses are selling below sticker and 4 year old Shelbys are still selling over sticker ....yep their time has definitely come and gone.... I mean all of these Heritage Edition cars selling for way over 100K ....

PS I still love the Dark Horse but you guys are cracking me up- there are no threads on the GT500 or the GT350 forums about how their cars are the better then xxxx Mustang lol

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And letā€™s be clear about something, the name Mustang always proceeds the name Shelby and Shelby wasnā€™t always with Ford, so keep that in mind when you start rattling sabers.
Yes ...I can feel your anger...use it and strike me down...turn to the Dark side of the Horse!

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
Sweet Shelby bro :crackup:

After '68 Carrol Shelby had nothing to do with anything Ford was doing. He just slapped his name on anything he could make money off of. Pretty good gig that guy had going all those years. People paid hard earned cash for that snake badge. I bought the GT350 because of the mechanical package, not because it had snakes and stripes and the name on it. I would have preferred that it had been a Mach 1 or a Boss 320 etc.
S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Shelby 1989-Dodge-Shelby-CSX-VNT-14-1997601394

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny because Dark Horses are selling below sticker and 4 year old Shelbys are still selling over sticker ....yep their time has definitely come and gone.... I mean all of these Heritage Edition cars selling for way over 100K ....

PS I still love the Dark Horse but you guys are cracking me up- there are no threads on the GT500 or the GT350 forums about how their cars are the better then xxxx Mustang lol
https://www.gt350.org/threads/opinions-gt350-vs-dark-horse-r.8484/
First page of the general tab on the GT350 forums
https://www.gt350.org/threads/would...0-for-the-2024-mustang-dark-horse.8226/page-4
Second page of that tab

https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/dark-horse-perfect-american-track-car.207620/
While there are topics of the DH on the GT500 forums, you are correct in that nobody is really comparing the apple and orange here, that's going to be reserved for the GTD obviously.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
Something to ponder. How much did the purchaser have to pay for the Shelby name on their Mustang? Whatever that was, would you rather have had that money put into further performance enhancements, higher quality interior, better panel fitment and paint quality, or a lower price?
Sponsored