• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse poorly received??

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I don't think the gears are too tall at all with the 3:73 rear. Hell, I had to tune my 2017 PP car to hit 60 in 2nd. Thats a pain in the ass. In the DH you are shifting into third at around 68mph. Its honestly where it should be, and stock for stock the acceleration of the two isn't close. I've read more complaints that the gearing is too short. To me they got it right, it's nice to downshift to 2nd if you want a quick jump from 55/60...instead of just laboring through third gear (which I had to do in my 17).
Bigger numbers are SHORTER gears. Smaller number are TALLER gears.
Sponsored

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I've never driven or ridden in a 1LE or a G6 Camero, but it's well documented that it was just an overall better chassis for track/spirited driving. Chevy did everything BUT make it irresistible.... I never at any time looked at one of those cars and said, "damn thats a sweet car". And for every generation the chassis was in advance the interior was two generations behind.
The visibility issues were a legit complaint. As was the infotainment screen that was tilted down. Rest of the interior was pretty basic I agree and I hated the position of the vents being right next to the gear shift.

My biggest complaint and the reason I sold the car is at low speeds it was hard to drive and see. Plus it made my wife carsick because she couldn't see past the fenders.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP
Bigger numbers are SHORTER gears. Smaller number are TALLER gears.
Sure. Comparatively to the 24GT, 23Charger, and 23Camero a DH is geared shorter. Its geared higher than my 17 GT which was just stupid. They were trying really hard to get respectable 0-60 times on 435 HP back then.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
A Ecoboost V6 would make it faster but kill the spirit as in no V8 sound ! The 7.3 truck motor would need a aluminum block too make it feasible so I think this is a pipe dream too.A Coyote with more bore would be perfect and about time to combine the best of both worlds...High rpm top end with the missing bottom end to mid-range Torque.But Ford does not want to invest any money as the machine tools and casting foundry to make a new block with wider bore spacing...With Camaro and Challenger gone they though we dont have to and go all cheap keepng the same chassis,body,engine but slap a new face , taller rear fenders , touchscreens And give it a new name...As for the Camaro SS1LE I had before the chassis is great as in NEUTRAL as in no over- or understeer which makes it easy to drive and gives you confidence as it is like going on rails...Much better than any C7 Corvette.But it does not rotate so its not playful or fun.The LT1 is basically a pickup truck engine that makes decent power but its no exciting sportscar engine that explodes going up into the rpm range...It basically makes linear power and pulls as hard at 3000 as it pulls at 6000 rpm where the party is over.The interior is full of super cheap hard plastic and after a year I had all kinds of groans and rattles...Even the headliner made noises if you can believe it...Quality is definitely nothing worth writing home about...Useless rear seats with about one inch of legroom , small trunk with super small opening and ZERO outward visibility , I drove tanks in the military so I was used to it or not ,LOL , and you know why the Camaro is gone for good...Now in a Challenger WB after all the crap I read about it being a big boat and such was the biggest surprise...Undoubtedly the best looking by far ,as also the most comfortable and practical with nice interior if you go for the plus and carbon/suede package , I was surprised how much fun the engine and handling are...TORQUE and rotation into turns and the Tremec is a joy too...Of course 500 lbs less and 50 hp more would make it even better...Therefore looking forward to the Boss 5.8 for 2027...LOL For $75K without any ADM and some Recaros that dont feel like vise grips ! We all can dream...LOL

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Ecoboost V6 would make it faster but kill the spirit as in no V8 sound ! The 7.3 truck motor would need a aluminum block too make it feasible so I think this is a pipe dream too.A Coyote with more bore would be perfect and about time to combine the best of both worlds...High rpm top end with the missing bottom end to mid-range Torque.But Ford does not want to invest any money as the machine tools and casting foundry to make a new block with wider bore spacing...With Camaro and Challenger gone they though we dont have to and go all cheap keepng the same chassis,body,engine but slap a new face , taller rear fenders , touchscreens And give it a new name...As for the Camaro SS1LE I had before the chassis is great as in NEUTRAL as in no over- or understeer which makes it easy to drive and gives you confidence as it is like going on rails...Much better than any C7 Corvette.But it does not rotate so its not playful or fun.The LT1 is basically a pickup truck engine that makes decent power but its no exciting sportscar engine that explodes going up into the rpm range...It basically makes linear power and pulls as hard at 3000 as it pulls at 6000 rpm where the party is over.The interior is full of super cheap hard plastic and after a year I had all kinds of groans and rattles...Even the headliner made noises if you can believe it...Quality is definitely nothing worth writing home about...Useless rear seats with about one inch of legroom , small trunk with super small opening and ZERO outward visibility , I drove tanks in the military so I was used to it or not ,LOL , and you know why the Camaro is gone for good...Now in a Challenger WB after all the crap I read about it being a big boat and such was the biggest surprise...Undoubtedly the best looking by far ,as also the most comfortable and practical with nice interior if you go for the plus and carbon/suede package , I was surprised how much fun the engine and handling are...TORQUE and rotation into turns and the Tremec is a joy too...Of course 500 lbs less and 50 hp more would make it even better...Therefore looking forward to the Boss 5.8 for 2027...LOL For $75K without any ADM and some Recaros that dont feel like vise grips ! We all can dream...LOL
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
My understanding of long blocks vs. crate engines is you're more likely to use a crate engine if you're doing a custom build but if you're just replacing an engine in a vehicle, you're more likely to use a long block.

Here are what are the main differences between a long block and crate engine, in my opinion:

https://accessories.ford.com/2018-20-mustang-5-0l-coyote-460hp-mustang-long-block

You're likely to have all those components from your original engine for an engine replacement.

The average owner (who is not a mechanic) is not going to pull his engine, swap over all the parts onto a long block, and re-install the engine. Therefore it would be quicker, cheaper and easier to replace with a crate engine, then maybe sell some of the remaining components.
Really? Once you have the engine out of the vehicle, it takes a 1-3 hours of labor to remove and re-install most of these components. The exception is the intake manifold/throttle body because you have to remove that to secure the engine to the engine hoist.

For a ~$4,000 price difference between a Mach 1 long block and a standard 5.0 Coyote crate motor, I'd pay the 1-3 hours of labor to have the components swapped over.

This long block assembly DOES NOT include:
  • Intake manifold/throttle body
  • Fuel rails/fuel injectors
  • Water pump pulley
  • Alternator
  • Exhaust manifolds
  • Flywheel/flexplate
  • Engine wiring/PCM

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
https://www.macmulkin.net/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&model=Corvette&trim=Stingray Coupe 1LT,Stingray Coupe 2LT

MacMulking is advertising ~126 in stock and inbound C8 1LT and 2LT coupes with $3,500 to $4,000 off MSRP these days. Some of them have advertised prices in the $72k-75k range. The discounts and incentives will only get better. This makes it a tough sell for a DH Premium with HP and Recaros.
I see very few DH Premiums with HP on Autotrader. Less than 20 nationwide it seems. Even less if you want the manual. Seems like its the right time to buy a C8. Which C8 are you leaning towards?

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I see very few DH Premiums with HP on Autotrader. Less than 20 nationwide it seems. Even less if you want the manual. Seems like its the right time to buy a C8. Which C8 are you leaning towards?
I personally think the best package for C8 is 2LT with Z51 unless you are going Z06 or ERay. The 1LT has nicer leather than a premium mustang but you don't get the cameras and vented seats. 3LT I didn't think was a worthwhile upgrade.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Really? Once you have the engine out of the vehicle, it takes a 1-3 hours of labor to remove and re-install most of these components. The exception is the intake manifold/throttle body because you have to remove that to secure the engine to the engine hoist.

For a ~$4,000 price difference between a Mach 1 long block and a standard 5.0 Coyote crate motor, I'd pay the 1-3 hours of labor to have the components swapped over.
99% of Mustang owners don't have the tools and skills to do an oil change, have never bought or sold anything in a private party transaction, and don't keep a vehicle past 75,000 miles.

I don't doubt you can change an engine, and I know I can, but I have never once sat around contemplating one new car over another based on short block replacement cost.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Everyone on here has made excellent points i find the 650 to have the same issue the s550 did at launch. Unrealistic expectations, remember all the 2015 mustang rumors, it was focking out of control from 500hp 5.0 direct injected V8 to all aluminum body panels. Basically it was out of control so much so that a lot of people where extremely disappointed with the final car till guys started throwing mods at them. Realizing hey this gen 2 is a really strong engine other than the crank sprocket ⚙. It also didn’t help that the mustang gt even with the performance pack was rather soft it wasn’t a boss 302 replacement at all. We are seeing the same issue now but to a lesser degree, i think the 2024 mustangs in general are the best out of the box ever only really being negative about the looks “gt needs a splitter bad” or crappy high priced tags

I also found it funny how people made fun of how the 2024 looks bringing up all the crap that people said about the 2015s, literally the same memes

i love being on the forums for 20 years hahaha

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.macmulkin.net/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&model=Corvette&trim=Stingray Coupe 1LT,Stingray Coupe 2LT

MacMulking is advertising ~126 in stock and inbound C8 1LT and 2LT coupes with $3,500 to $4,000 off MSRP these days. Some of them have advertised prices in the $72k-75k range. The discounts and incentives will only get better. This makes it a tough sell for a DH Premium with HP and Recaros.
Had a C7 Z06. Would not want another Corvette, C7 or C8, unless it was a Z06. Hard pass on a non FI C8.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP

Any DH buyer can stretch it to a C8. I considered a C8 for a while. Honestly the DH is better looking (In my opinion), has a manual (which I refuse to give up), and has an option to Whipple if I get bored. If a C8 had a manual I that's where my $$ would have gone.