• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse Handling Pack Overkill?

Pdaddy1280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT on order
Thinking of possibly foregoing my order and trying to find a Dark Horse after seeing an Ember blue one over the weekend. It looks way better in person than I even imagined it would! They’re still asking for too much ADM for the one I saw locally, but it got me wondering if the handling pack is too much if I don’t plan on tracking it regularly.

Can anyone with more knowledge than I have break down in newby terms what the advantages and disadvantages (other than price) are of the handling pack? I have already seen comments about the stock tire life being extremely short. Is the track pack worth the extra money? Thanks.
Sponsored

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Thinking of possibly foregoing my order and trying to find a Dark Horse after seeing an Ember blue one over the weekend. It looks way better in person than I even imagined it would! They’re still asking for too much ADM for the one I saw locally, but it got me wondering if the handling pack is too much if I don’t plan on tracking it regularly.

Can anyone with more knowledge than I have break down in newby terms what the advantages and disadvantages (other than price) are of the handling pack? I have already seen comments about the stock tire life being extremely short. Is the track pack worth the extra money? Thanks.
I went with the 700a, never gave any thought to the performance package as none of these tires last, and the PP ones are even more cash.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
I did not order the handling pack on my DH. I may never track it. I also did not want the bigger/stickier tires that would wear out much quicker. I like the splitter and wing of the HP. But figured I could add that later if I want. Just didn’t seem like I would utilize the extra 6k of options.

OP
OP

Pdaddy1280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT on order
Would replacement tires would last longer than the stock tires? I don’t think I need the handling pack but I do really like the wider tires.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It depends on what you're attempting to do with the car. I see four levels.

Tracking a lot: you probably know enough by now you could tailor the car to your style and the track. You're going to install your own bits to suit you. The HP option has little value.

Tracking often: you could benefit from the initial, additional bits, especially the coolers. You might make some parts enhancements over time, or enjoy as-is.

Tracking occasionally: A sweet spot. Few times a year you hit the track and have a blast. The car needs no additional changes. The car is probably not your DD. It's most often weekends, Holidays and Fun Fridays.

Tracking never: if the car is something your going to hold onto, it's special to you, having one of the rarer options can be appreciated in several ways. Other than the looks, your fondness of the car and a portion of the additional performance, the option will not add much if anything to the driving experience.

Regarding the existing HP tires, if the Owner will be driving on the street for any length of time, it's in their best interest to have another set in mind or at the ready. While one can drive and wear them out, the original HP tires are going to be slinging a lot of rocks against the body.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram

There's one a few minutes from my house that they will sell for MSRP, I just looked at it a couple days ago. They're being super careful with it, wouldn't let me test drive it unless we agreed on a deal first. Blue Ember, handling package, premium, automatic. I know they sell remotely and ship. If you call ask for Steve Mikus.

https://www.jimshorkeyford.com/new-White+Oak-2024-Ford-Mustang-Dark+Horse-1FA6P8R06R5502556

S650 Mustang Dark Horse Handling Pack Overkill? IMG_6248

S650 Mustang Dark Horse Handling Pack Overkill? IMG_6249

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
You ordered it how you wanted it on your car. So i would get it because this is what you wanted and it will feel like you settled without it. I'd much rather regret getting it and knowing i can take off what i didn't like than trying to add this stuff later.

Cost is high still even if you try to add all the stuff in the aftermarket. I have heard a few people complaining about how much it cost to add these options aftermarket. So its not as cheap as people thought.

As for tires, you can just put some ps4s or a different tire on them. I don't understand the complaints on not getting it because of "sticky tires" when they can be replaced. Just save them, sell them, use them until they are done and put a street tire on.

I have had my mine with the HP for 2 days and I like it. I don't plan on tracking the car a lot. But I like the car the way I got it and couldn't be any happier with sticking with my original built. I was reading what people were saying and almost took the HP off. But decided I ordered it for a reason.. as a gift to myself for hard work. I'm not taking off anything. I just need something to protect my front splitter lol.

But get what you want and what you like. It's your money and if you liked it the first time then get it. I will say only change your mind if financially things have changed or if you have an opportunity to drive a DH with and without the HP. Then make a decision of that.

Sorry for the long post 😅

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
If you are already spending $68,000 whats another $5,000 in the big picture. I look at as the end of an era, so Ik git, but skipped the Recaro seats after the dealer had me sit in a Mach 1 with them.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Definitely overkill for anyone not planning on taking their DH to a track at least once in a blue moon, and especially overkill for anyone who doesn’t know a thing about driving, like how to trail brake or whatever

The improvements would be lost

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
No such thing as overkill : )

I take my car on road trips... cup 2s ..carbon fiber wheels and all
Sponsored