• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Check engine light came on. 24 GT 6spd 7600mi

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Check engine light came on this morning while driving to work. No loud pop, no smoke, no nothing but something is definitely wrong.

Anywhere past quarter to half throttle it feels like the engine gives up and I lose most power. I just had its first service a couple weeks ago and now I got to take it back on the 1st for this, bummer. Has anyone experienced something like this? Kept it under 4k on my commute and am not looking forward to the drive home. Will keep it off until the service.

This is my first Mustang in a decade and I have been loving every minute so far until this point. I will come back and update the thread with what the dealer says. Hoping it’s just a tripped sensor and nothing major.

S650 Mustang Check engine light came on. 24 GT 6spd 7600mi IMG_0113

Edit: Here’s what pops up in the app.
S650 Mustang Check engine light came on. 24 GT 6spd 7600mi IMG_0116
Sponsored

OP
OP
unfairslide

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry you have go through this on a new car

First new car purchase too 😂 hoping it’s nothing major but that’s just the way life goes sometimes.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The computer has determined, probably incorrectly that engine damage will occur if you push the engine hard so it has placed the car in limp mode. It will not allow you to push the engine until the problem is corrected. Check engine lights come on for many reasons and I have seen a few as the result of a smog canister failure. That failure wouldn't result in engine damage but it sure wouldn't pass a pollution test. You should get the car to the dealer as soon as possible but it's likely the failure can be easily corrected under warranty and better now than after the warranty expires.
By the way, even if the light goes out, the code will remain in the computer. Things like this would happen if you didn't properly tighten the gas cap. It would take about four drive cycles for the error to self clear but the code would remain in the computer.

OP
OP
unfairslide

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
The computer has determined, probably incorrectly that engine damage will occur if you push the engine hard so it has placed the car in limp mode. It will not allow you to push the engine until the problem is corrected. Check engine lights come on for many reasons and I have seen a few as the result of a smog canister failure. That failure wouldn't result in engine damage but it sure wouldn't pass a pollution test. You should get the car to the dealer as soon as possible but it's likely the failure can be easily corrected under warranty and better now than after the warranty expires.
By the way, even if the light goes out, the code will remain in the computer. Things like this would happen if you didn't properly tighten the gas cap. It would take about four drive cycles for the error to self clear but the code would remain in the computer.
Can’t be a gas cap as these cars do not have one. But I’m hoping it’s something simple they can reset. Got the earliest appointment I could at my dealer and will not be driving it until then. If I get a scanner can I erase the code?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Can’t be a gas cap as these cars do not have one. But I’m hoping it’s something simple they can reset. Got the earliest appointment I could at my dealer and will not be driving it until then. If I get a scanner can I erase the code?
I don't recommend you erase the code unless you understand exactly what it is. There are bad codes that could result in destroying your catalytic converter or could result in engine damage. If you erase it, the dealer will be unable to read it. I am not sure on newer cars but older cars stored the codes in RAM and removing the battery connection would clear the codes. People would try that to get through the pollution test but they were caught by the fact the computer didn't have enough run time to verify the engine condition.
We currently have a Crown Vic that we are bring back to life after sitting for a long time. The first problem appeared to be an injector problem due to old fuel. Then we had a bad oxygen sensor and now a vacuum leak. Hopefully it will stop trowing codes because we don't have much time on the 30 day temporary plate.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
if you have connected vehicle data active, send me your VIN and i can see what codes it's been setting

scainerrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I don't recommend you erase the code unless you understand exactly what it is. There are bad codes that could result in destroying your catalytic converter or could result in engine damage. If you erase it, the dealer will be unable to read it. I am not sure on newer cars but older cars stored the codes in RAM and removing the battery connection would clear the codes. People would try that to get through the pollution test but they were caught by the fact the computer didn't have enough run time to verify the engine condition.
We currently have a Crown Vic that we are bring back to life after sitting for a long time. The first problem appeared to be an injector problem due to old fuel. Then we had a bad oxygen sensor and now a vacuum leak. Hopefully it will stop trowing codes because we don't have much time on the 30 day temporary plate.
The newer vehicles store the codes and will display as a permanent code

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Check engine light came on this morning while driving to work. No loud pop, no smoke, no nothing but something is definitely wrong.

Anywhere past quarter to half throttle it feels like the engine gives up and I lose most power. I just had its first service a couple weeks ago and now I got to take it back on the 1st for this, bummer. Has anyone experienced something like this? Kept it under 4k on my commute and am not looking forward to the drive home. Will keep it off until the service.

This is my first Mustang in a decade and I have been loving every minute so far until this point. I will come back and update the thread with what the dealer says. Hoping it’s just a tripped sensor and nothing major.

IMG_0113.jpeg

Edit: Here’s what pops up in the app.
IMG_0116.jpeg
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Have that thing towed to the dealer on fords dime!

bmbl-bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
First service a couple weeks ago. Did you check the oil level. The GT is a little unusual as it holds 10 qts. of oil. Have read many instances where oil change experts at dealerships (not) have screwed up on the amount of oil needed to do it correctly. Just a thought.

OP
OP
unfairslide

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
First service a couple weeks ago. Did you check the oil level. The GT is a little unusual as it holds 10 qts. of oil. Have read many instances where oil change experts at dealerships (not) have screwed up on the amount of oil needed to do it correctly. Just a thought.
I checked it cold the next day and it was looking fine. Can’t trust the random tech to fill it up haha
Sponsored