• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Car Starts Loud... Then Quiets Down after 45 Sec. Or So.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
So I have quiet mode set in the settings and have a time from 12:00 AM to 11:30 PM , the best I could do.
When I start the car it's loud and then quiets down after maybe 30-45 seconds or so.
Doesn't matter if remote or in the car pressing start.
Any ideas?
Is this normal?
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
It's very annoying, the older 4.6 engines never did this. Supposedly it has to do with emissions or something.

It's funny that some people think it's obnoxious, and then you have people that LOVE it and post videos of it as a badge of honor.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
When the car is in quiet mode, it definitely shouldnā€™t be loud when it starts. If it is then your car isnā€™t in quiet mode. Iā€™d double check the valve and make sure itā€™s fully closed before starting.

The reason it will start ā€œlouderā€ and then settle down is the rpmā€™s. It helps build oil pressure quicker and itā€™s louder in all modes and then quiets down per whatever mode you are in.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
So I have quiet mode set in the settings and have a time from 12:00 AM to 11:30 PM , the best I could do.
When I start the car it's loud and then quiets down after maybe 30-45 seconds or so.
Doesn't matter if remote or in the car pressing start.
Any ideas?
Is this normal?
My car does the exact same thing. Pretty loud when I first start it, but quiets down in about the same time frame. It's in quiet mode when I start it.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Normal, this engine cranks loud, especially a cold start, 45 seconds to get the juices flowing. Quiet Start or not, that's as quiet as your gonna get. BTW Quiet Start does not work with remote start

Last edited:

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
There is a TSB for the quiet start issue when using remote start. Contact your ford dealer and ask them to make an appointment to do the update that fixes the quiet start issue, they should know what you are trying to do. The TSB Reference number is 24-2047.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
When in quiet mode and using the start button, the intensity of the sound should be lessened.

The behavior, where the car starts at a higher RPM, then settles down after 30-45 seconds, will continue. The car will still start loud in Quiet Mode, but should not be as loud as in Normal Mode.

This characteristics involving the higher RPM at start is for emissions. It helps bring the cats and O2 sensors up to temps quicker than they would otherwise. Startup also has an secondary benefit of helping to clear condensation from the exhaust.

Last edited:
OP
OP

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Thanks all for the excellent information. I wasn't sure. FWIW, it doesn't bother me at all, I was just wondering. I guess I fit into the "badge of honor" crowd. :like:

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My son-in-law is an engineer with another manufacturer. He said that on their cars the execs asked to have it "start" in quiet if it was set that way, although he said that they argued that people buying a performance car like the initial rev in normal at start up, they programmed the cars to start in quiet mode.

He said that Ford opted to give us what he and the other engineers on his team argued for. We hear the initial louder rev at start and then it shifts to quiet mode quickly.

To the original poster, yes, your car is completely normal. It is acting just how it was programmed.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
how programmed != desired.

IMO quiet mode should be quiet(ish) on startup - all flaps closed and throttle cracked only enough to hit the startup RPM. 10 seconds of elevated RPMs (1300 or so) then quickly drop to 1000-1100. If it's not doing that then it's programmed WRONG.

Nothing pissed me off like the startup of my camaro - it started in full-on race mode bark regardless of setting. FOAD you damn engineers.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I prefer it louder......like waking up the neighbors. Wifes former 06 GT Vert had O/R exhaust and would shake the house when started in the mornings......nice....šŸ˜

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
My neighbors all love it when I start in loud mode.... I usually get texts that it sounds good- I also give them warnings when it will be an early morning start

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Must be whiney millennial (insert current day of the week) again ...
Sponsored