• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Car cover or not?

KarKy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford & Toyota.
Hi everybody!

I have my new GT PP in grabber blue NPP, since the end of march. Im in love!

Sadly, my garage is in the back of my house and it's really difficult to reach,
without scratching my car on several trees it pass SO TIGHT and i have to climb on a big sidewalk..

So, i can store it in the winter( im from Canada) but for now impossible for her to be a Garage queen...

My question is, what is the best option for me...
I have already try to ask my city if i can put a ''summer car shelter'' in my driveway but it's forbidden in the summer here..

So, Car cover or not? What are the pro and the cons?

Sorry for my english, im a french guy..
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Salut,

Congrats. Grabber Blue Metallic is what all the cool kids drive. :giggle:

Is there a chance the trees or shrubbery could be trimmed back?

Outside car covers can present a few concerns.

First, placing it on the car, the car should be clean, as in just washed. I would not put a cover on a car which had been driven or outside for any length of time. Grit and dirt, however slight, would be rubbed across the surfaces while becoming embedded in the cover material.

Once the cover is on, the weather, primarily wind, could cause the cover the slap against the body or move across it. For brief periods, maybe not a big deal. But over longer periods or significant weather events, the rubbing or slapping could be an issue.

Finally, there's a concern of moisture, if the cover will trap it, especially if on dirt or grass. If on concrete, trapping moisture would be less of a concern. If you decide to cover the car outside, read the company's information how the cover handles rain, water and humidity in-general.

By going without, you can use sealants and waxes to protect the paint. Several companies make fine anti-UV products to support leather and vinyl. Tint could help protect the interior further still.

Many leave their cars outside year-round and experience no long-term issues.

Indoor car covers are different in materials; they are not intended to be used outside and are often softer. The one I'm using is a combination of felt and microfiber.

Same rules for taking on and off apply though: Place the indoor cover on top of a freshly-cleaned car. I do cover my car for Winter storage. Once on the car it might be removed enough to get access to interior or under hood for checks. Otherwise, it stays completely on until Spring.

When removing the cover for storage, I fold the sides in a way where the outside surface of the cover meets another outside surface. I fold it in on itself. Long-term, I think this helps keep the inside and outside separated, to avoid any dirt contamination of the material.

Bonne Chance.

Edit: An additional thought...If using an outside car cover in the front of the house, in view of passersby, that might not be a good idea. Uncovered, "Cool car." Covered, "Hmmm, what's under the cover? What high-value item do we have here?"

Last edited:
OP
OP

KarKy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford & Toyota.
Salut,

Congrats. Grabber Blue Metallic is what all the cool kids drive. :giggle:

Is there a chance the trees or shrubbery could be trimmed back?

Outside car covers can present a few concerns.

First, placing it on the car, the car should be clean, as in just washed. I would not put a cover on a car which had been driven or outside for any length of time. Grit and dirt, however slight, would be rubbed across the surfaces while becoming embedded in the cover material.

Once the cover is on, the weather, primarily wind, could cause the cover the slap against the body or move across it. For brief periods, maybe not a big deal. But over longer periods or significant weather events, the rubbing or slapping could be an issue.

Finally, there's a concern of moisture, if the cover will trap it, especially if on dirt or grass. If on concrete, trapping moisture would be less of a concern. If you decide to cover the car outside, read the company's information how the cover handles rain, water and humidity in-general.

By going without, you can use sealants and waxes to protect the paint. Several companies make fine anti-UV products to support leather and vinyl. Tint could help protect the interior further still.

Many leave their cars outside year-round and experience no long-term issues.

Indoor car covers are different in materials; they are not intended to be used outside and are often softer. The one I'm using is a combination of felt and microfiber.

Same rules for taking on and off apply though: Place the indoor cover on top of a freshly-cleaned car. I do cover my car for Winter storage. Once on the car it might be removed enough to get access to interior or under hood for checks. Otherwise, it stays completely on until Spring.

When removing the cover for storage, I fold the sides in a way where the outside surface of the cover meets another outside surface. I fold it in on itself. Long-term, I think this helps keep the inside and outside separated, to avoid any dirt contamination of the material.

Bonne Chance.
Merci! for your complete answer!

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
I have had my car since January, no longer have a garage unfortunately. Its ceramic coated, if you hand wash, it with a good, lubricated car wash it's easy to keep clean. I live in the northeast near the ocean, I have covered it, but the wind can be a pia. At the moment it looks better than when I drove it home. Probably clean it more than most, but it's easy to keep clean and i enjoy cleaning it. Neighbor's think I'm nuts!:crazy:

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Hi everybody!

I have my new GT PP in grabber blue NPP, since the end of march. Im in love!

Sadly, my garage is in the back of my house and it's really difficult to reach,
without scratching my car on several trees it pass SO TIGHT and i have to climb on a big sidewalk..

So, i can store it in the winter( im from Canada) but for now impossible for her to be a Garage queen...

My question is, what is the best option for me...
I have already try to ask my city if i can put a ''summer car shelter'' in my driveway but it's forbidden in the summer here..

So, Car cover or not? What are the pro and the cons?

Sorry for my english, im a french guy..
Purchase a CHAINSAW.
Problem Solved.

BobU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have usd a car cover for my last three cars. It is not the ideal solution but can work.

As mentioned earlier you can only use it when your car is clean. The trick is to not get dirt and grit on the inside of the cover.

You need to get a custom outdoor cover to get a tight fit in order to avoid the cover rubbing your paint when it is windy.

The first cover I used was from WeatherTech (https://www.weathertech.ca/en/ford/...odystyle-option/convertiblewithantennapocket/)

The one I have now is from Ford. I bought it for my 2017 S550 Convertible EcoBoost and It fits on my 2024 Convertible GT.