• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bleeding Brakes?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'm going to have to bleed my brakes as I'm replacing a caliper due to some cosmetic damage.

I already have a replacement caliper and everything to normally do the swap and bleed the brakes.

I know you have to enter the Brake Service Mode, which you can do manually. I only need to do this to remove and install the need caliper.

I have the Ford Service Manual and it just states to bleed using the diagnostic scan tool following the on-screen instructions. Videos I have seen of this make it look very easy to do.

I'd be ok buying a scan tool or even using Forscan to do the Job. There is not much information on scan tools that are affordable and if they and Forscan even have the ABS bleed option. I can buy the latest Forscan obd connector and see later this week. I even have a few emails to some scan tools to see if they have this function as most don't even list the newer Fords.

I have seen some limited information with the method to bleeding the 6 piston Brembos that differs from the normal way.

I know some track their cars will bleed the brakes a lot and was wondering if they had any input.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Is service mode only required if you set the e-brake before power off?

WayneK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Isn't service mode only needed if you are changing e-brake pads? I use a pressure bleeder on all my cars using the normal procedure. ABS has minimal amount of fluid so I have never activated it and 3 of my cars are 20+ years old and I've never had a problem with the system. Can someone confirm that to do a bleed service mode is required?

OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Isn't service mode only needed if you are changing e-brake pads? I use a pressure bleeder on all my cars using the normal procedure. ABS has minimal amount of fluid so I have never activated it and 3 of my cars are 20+ years old and I've never had a problem with the system. Can someone confirm that to do a bleed service mode is required?

No according to the service manual it is needed during any brake service. You need to enter "brake service mode' because we have electronic brake booster and electronic
parking brakes

As far as having the vehicle in "brake service mode" for bleeding I would think you don't need to as it will reduce brake system performance. I just mention it because I will be removing and replacing the caliper.
I will edit my original to reflect that.

One tip when changing pads on a modern vehicle never be tempted to manually force the pistons back in without opening the bleed valve.
You may think you're saving time without having to bleed the brakes after a pad change but abs controllers can be damaged in the process.

Is the e-brake a separate pad / shoe or is it integrated into the rear brakes ?
This is not true. You do not have to bleed the brakes /open the bleed valve when changing pads.

The e-brake is a separate caliper on the rear altogether.
Sponsored

Last edited: