• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Yeah, I can understand why the mustang branding is controversial, but the mach-e is objectively a great vehicle. It's fast as hell for a crossover, good looking, great chassis balance and steering from what I've heard, it's relatively reliable and well built. Most of all, it's not really an SUV, it's basically a electric Focus rs with mustang badges on it, a high performance hot hat h that enabled Ford to keep making the V8 mustang we all know and love while everyone else is having to kill their pony cars.

If it replaced the mustang coupe, I'd be more pissed, but I'm not against the idea of multiple mustang models.
Turn the suv into a coupe drop a home generator into the frunk and admit the other is the one it wants to be when it grows up (matures) and we could have some fun.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Yeah, I can understand why the mustang branding is controversial, but the mach-e is objectively a great vehicle.

1— It's fast as hell for a crossover, good looking, great chassis balance and steering from what I've heard, it's relatively reliable and well built.

2– Most of all, it's not really an SUV, it's basically a electric Focus rs with mustang badges on it, a high performance hot hat h

3– that enabled Ford to keep making the V8 mustang we all know and love while everyone else is having to kill their pony cars.

4– If it replaced the mustang coupe, I'd be more pissed, but I'm not against the idea of multiple mustang models.
1– no one is saying the Mach e isn’t a good little ev suv. It’s just not a mustang and shouldt be called one.

2– A reworked focus or kuga platform is not a mustang platform any more than the pinto was a mustang platform, hence why many don’t count the mustang 2 as a true mustang. A lot of parallels in these two moments in history. But at least the mustang 2 was a 2 door, long hood, short deck CAR.

3– It’s time we stop parroting ford’s desperate marketing justification for calling it a mustang.

the Mach e and lightning aren’t “saving the mustang.” If anything they are saving the f150 which is the real CAFE boat anchor. But you don’t hear Ford naming the suv an f150. That would make the same amount of sense as calling it a mustang (none).

The mustang sales numbers are in line with the Mach e. And that’s an suv - the major selling category according to ford. But it only sells sports coupe numbers. Meanwhil the f150 sells entire mountains worth. In the grand scheme, the mustang isn’t doing much damage to Fords CAFE numbers. No enough volume - especially when the vast majority are… ecoboost four bangers.

The real culprit is f series. But you don’t hear ford acting like that needs saving.by naming an suv an f series. Meanwhile, the f series truck has an electric model. And is still a TRUCK. Not only that, Ford marketing got that one right, taking a truck trim from the past and reappropriating it. Good job too as “lightning” is electricity. Hood name for an ev. That was the right way to do it.

if Ford wanted to tack on some beloved heritage to the suv, they could have made the bronco and ev and people would go for it. No crapping on an icon for cheap marketing points (for the ev only. The mustang gets its prestige diluted), etc. it’s the same type of vehicle. This would have sold in far better numbers than the Mach e - if “saving the Mustang” (a misnomer established by now) was really the goal.

naming an f150, an ev, or a Bronco “Mustang” doesn’t help it at all. It’s the same fleet CAFE standards regardless of model name.

In the end, the old Ford leadership thought they could add some shine to a new EV SUV by tacking on a mustang sticker. In reality, they simply ably accomplished t
devaluing the actual mustang. Maybe they figured the mustang would endure it. Idk. But current sales numbers, especially for a hot-off-the-press comprehensive redesign, seem to indicate otherwise. Hard for some to get excited about the hot new thing when Ford is telling them, “that’s not the hot new thing. THIS is. They’ve got some me work to do fixing that mess.

4– now that Farley is in place, we don’t need to worry about the real mustang so much. It may end up electric, hydrogen, hybrid, or alien technology, but it will be recognizeable as an honest to goodness mustang. Not some poor excuse.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang Mach-E GT & 24 Dark Horse
Based on your username I’m guessing you’re an unbiased source. It’s a boring electric suv that’s not even that fast, it’s also not a mustang.
I own both so obviously I'm biased. I'll say it again. They're both really great cars. Both are definitely mustangs. If you don't believe me then just call up ford and ask them.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty SOLD
I own both so obviously I'm biased. I'll say it again. They're both really great cars. Both are definitely mustangs. If you don't believe me then just call up ford and ask them.
The sad logic of our day, just because Ford calls it a mustang doesn't really have anything to do with it.

“I don’t think the Mustang name can be applied to any form,” Castriota says. “I certainly wouldn’t envision a Mustang pickup, for instance. Or a Mustang commercial van. But I think vehicles that can capture performance, moving people fast and free…” he trails off. “We feel that it’s definitely worthwhile exploring the other potentials for our great brands.” Jason Castriota.

"The car needed a profile boost. And as the small skunkworks group analyzed the problem, it determined that the best answer was to draw from Ford’s extant icons. “It became readily apparent to the team that this car needed to be a Mustang,” Jason Castriota.

You're being led down the garden path if you think the mustang name was added to the mach e for any other reason than brand recognition to boost sales and to fire people up and get them talking about it. As the saying goes there's no such thing as bad publicly. If you like your mach e congratulations, but it's not a mustang, if a 4 door electric suv can be a mustang than anything can. "If everybody's somebody than no one's anybody"

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The sad logic of our day, just because Ford calls it a mustang doesn't really have anything to do with it.

“I don’t think the Mustang name can be applied to any form,” Castriota says. “I certainly wouldn’t envision a Mustang pickup, for instance. Or a Mustang commercial van. But I think vehicles that can capture performance, moving people fast and free…” he trails off. “We feel that it’s definitely worthwhile exploring the other potentials for our great brands.” Jason Castriota.

"The car needed a profile boost. And as the small skunkworks group analyzed the problem, it determined that the best answer was to draw from Ford’s extant icons. “It became readily apparent to the team that this car needed to be a Mustang,” Jason Castriota.

You're being led down the garden path if you think the mustang name was added to the mach e for any other reason than brand recognition to boost sales and to fire people up and get them talking about it. As the saying goes there's no such thing as bad publicly. If you like your mach e congratulations, but it's not a mustang, if a 4 door electric suv can be a mustang than anything can. "If everybody's somebody than no one's anybody"
dang bro. You didn’t have to do him like that! Pulled out the history books and everything.

Great post.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang Mach-E GT & 24 Dark Horse

dang bro. You didn’t have to do him like that! Pulled out the history books and everything.

Great post.
Take a history lesson on the marketing of the mustang. It was originally marketed as a practical, fast fun, family vehicle. It's target market was even women. The Mach-E's performance is pretty great for what it is. Saying that the Mach-E is not a mustang is like saying the Urus is not a Lamborghini.
Sponsored