• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Base seats?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
As others have said, I hope that the Dark Horse gets the Shelby Recaros, but I don't see that happening for some reason. The standard Recaros were okay for me, but they still didn't seem to have enough lateral support.
Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
The GTI retails for more than 30K, doesn't it? I just looked at GTI prices a few days ago and even the used ones were over 35K.

But anyway, the Mustang GT with base seats costs about the same as the GTI, I believe. They are close. If the GTI came with a ~500 HP NA V8 engine I would agree with you that the Mustang should give you a better interior for the money. But the GTI comes with a powertrain for a car that should cost less than 20K but with really good interior and exterior quality.

I personally prefer Ford's formula with the Mustang. I would like better seats with more adjustability and better interior materials, but I don't want to pay more. I'd rather have the same seats that are acceptable but not great with more money put into the powertrain and keep the price low.

I'll buy a front engine rwd coupe with a decent V8 and poor interior any and every day vs a FWD car with great panel fitment and a nice interior but a crappy engine. Especially when the price is similar.
the gti weighs 3k lbs give a little. A v8 would offset its whole geometry. The ea888 is very capable and a tune alone will put down 400hp. Show me a 20k car new that can do that without blowing. Comparing the two cars is kinda like saying You like apples over cereal. The mustang seats are pretty lame and always have been. A 60k car and you can't adjust the height of the thigh on a recaro? It's not even lower lol. Mustangs seats since 2015+ and some would argue before that have been the weakest part of the car. Compare the mustang Recaros to the Camaros recaros and you'll see what I mean (lower, heated and cooled, power adjustability, more adjustability)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
the gti weighs 3k lbs give a little. A v8 would offset its whole geometry. The ea888 is very capable and a tune alone will put down 400hp. Show me a 20k car new that can do that without blowing. Comparing the two cars is kinda like saying You like apples over cereal. The mustang seats are pretty lame and always have been. A 60k car and you can't adjust the height of the thigh on a recaro? It's not even lower lol. Mustangs seats since 2015+ and some would argue before that have been the weakest part of the car. Compare the mustang Recaros to the Camaros recaros and you'll see what I mean (lower, heated and cooled, power adjustability, more adjustability)
Not sure what new 20K car you are talking about. I think the Mustang GT and GTI aren't far apart in price and the GTI engine is garbage compared to a 5 liter V8. I didn't bring up the GTI. VW saved money putting a cheap engine in their car and put more money into the interior. If you prefer a better interior over a better engine, suit yourself.

The Camaro definitely has some good things about it. Seats are probably one of the better things. The Camaro engines are ok (way better than a 2.0T, but not that great compared to the Coyote), the shifter is meh, the clutch is not that great, visibility is terrible, trunk usability isn't that good. But hey, they put really sticky tires on it and stiffer suspension than the Mustang. So those two things are good.

I can see the argument that when you buy all the options and get a $60K Mustang, Ford should throw in better seats for free. Since Ford doesn't do that, you have to decide if the other things about the $60k car are worth it.

I own an older Mustang GT I bought used with base interior. I paid a lot less than a new GTI. No tune required and it makes more than 400 HP with no reliability concerns. My driver seat has a cigarette burn on it. So maybe I should stay out of threads talking about the interior. Because to me it's a NON-FACTOR.

Who knows, maybe when Ford changes the Mustang into an EV they will put in better seats. It would make sense, when you aren't getting a good engine, they have to give you something.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Not sure what new 20K car you are talking about. I think the Mustang GT and GTI aren't far apart in price and the GTI engine is garbage compared to a 5 liter V8. I didn't bring up the GTI. VW saved money putting a cheap engine in their car and put more money into the interior. If you prefer a better interior over a better engine, suit yourself.

The Camaro definitely has some good things about it. Seats are probably one of the better things. The Camaro engines are ok (way better than a 2.0T, but not that great compared to the Coyote), the shifter is meh, the clutch is not that great, visibility is terrible, trunk usability isn't that good. But hey, they put really sticky tires on it and stiffer suspension than the Mustang. So those two things are good.

I can see the argument that when you buy all the options and get a $60K Mustang, Ford should throw in better seats for free. So you have to decide if the other things about the $60k car are worth it.

I own an older Mustang GT I bought used with base interior. I paid a lot less than a new GTI. No tune required and it makes more than 400 HP with no reliability concerns. My driver seat has a cigarette burn on it. So maybe I should stay out of threads talking about the interior. Because to me it's a NON-FACTOR.

Who knows, maybe when Ford changes the Mustang into an EV they will put in better seats. It would make sense, when you aren't getting a good engine, they have to give you something.
Im not sure what 20k car you were talking about lol

" But the GTI comes with a powertrain for a car that should cost less than 20K "

I wasn't going into the whole camaro visibility (which honestly its perfectly fine) etc. Strictly seats as topic of the convo. Ford could put better seats in the mustang, but they dont to cut corners and save cost.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Im not sure what 20k car you were talking about lol

" But the GTI comes with a powertrain for a car that should cost less than 20K "

I wasn't going into the whole camaro visibility (which honestly its perfectly fine) etc. Strictly seats as topic of the convo. Ford could put better seats in the mustang, but they dont to cut corners and save cost.
If you don't talk about the entire car, criticizing seats alone doesn't make sense. Of course if you are a manufacturer and you make a car with a really cheap drivetrain, you can afford to put better seats in it at a given price.

That's why the base Fiesta ST had a far better interior than a base Mustang GT for a much cheaper price. The FiST was cheap everywhere, small wheels, small engine small brakes, etc. etc. It's nothing to do with Ford vs. some other manufacturer. Well, I guess it is in a way. Some manufacturers you have to get a really expensive model to even have the option of a V8. Ford is the exception in that regard.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
If you don't talk about the entire car, criticizing seats alone doesn't make sense. Of course if you are a manufacturer and you make a car with a really cheap drivetrain, you can afford to put better seats in it at a given price.

That's why the base Fiesta ST had a far better interior than a base Mustang GT for a much cheaper price. The FiST was cheap everywhere, small wheels, small engine small brakes, etc. etc. It's nothing to do with Ford vs. some other manufacturer. Well, I guess it is in a way. Some manufacturers you have to get a really expensive model to even have the option of a V8. Ford is the exception in that regard.
fair enough. I actually think the Camaro is the better car overall in that regard. 46k for a SS 1le with a tremec, pdr, handling suspension etc is just superior. Comparing it to a mach1 you have a higher seating position, more cost, less features. Though totally agreed the 5.0 has more character, better sound, the shift feel and clutch is better in the mustang. It's really trade offs. They build these cars these ways for these reasons. Camaro found the short comings of the mustang and made those strong points and made them perhaps not so great in other regards (trunk space etc). But I thought this thread was about seats in cars which is my biggest complaint on the mustang.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
fair enough. I actually think the Camaro is the better car overall in that regard. 46k for a SS 1le with a tremec, pdr, handling suspension etc is just superior. Comparing it to a mach1 you have a higher seating position, more cost, less features. Though totally agreed the 5.0 has more character, better sound, the shift feel and clutch is better in the mustang. It's really trade offs. They build these cars these ways for these reasons. Camaro found the short comings of the mustang and made those strong points and made them perhaps not so great in other regards (trunk space etc). But I thought this thread was about seats in cars which is my biggest complaint on the mustang.
Yeah Chevy cheaped out on the engine. DI without port is asking for long term trouble. The SS 1LE isn't a bad package. If the car had better ergonomics and a good engine I would have bought one. Well I didn't really like the clutch or shifter either. Or the visibility - I felt like I was in a cave all the time. Oh and that stupid 1-4 shifter lockout is one of the worst GM issues. So annoying. I hated that in my Z06. I do agree Camaro seats are better than the ones in the Mustang. I think the base MSRP of the 1LE is $49,590 though, not 46.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Difference between a Camaro and a Mustang is that you donā€™t need a shoehorn to stick a purse in the trunk

and you have more than 1 cubic inch of interior storage

also am I taking crazy pills or am I the only one that prefers the Mustang Recaros to the Camaroā€™s? Donā€™t care about automatic adjustments as much as I care about the ergos, and thankfully the thighs are raised compared to the hip/ass portion, at least when you lower them all the way

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Yeah Chevy cheaped out on the engine. DI without port is asking for long term trouble. The SS 1LE isn't a bad package. If the car had better ergonomics and a good engine I would have bought one. Well I didn't really like the clutch or shifter either. Or the visibility - I felt like I was in a cave all the time. Oh and that stupid 1-4 shifter lockout is one of the worst GM issues. So annoying. I hated that in my Z06. I do agree Camaro seats are better than the ones in the Mustang. I think the base MSRP of the 1LE is $49,590 though, not 46.
there's been no long term reliability with the lt1 engine which was the c7 engine as far as carbon build up goes Base msrp is actually 45k. I've bought two of them. The lockout is easily defeated with a $3 device or simply rev the car to 3k rpm when shifting out of first. Hardly an issue tbh. But again different strokes for different folks I think the Camaros clutches are absolute trash though. Which brings me here once again for my fourth mustang. This is primarily a drive sometimes car for me and track purposes. There's really not a better car for 45k that will track like a SS 1le. The mag ride let's it be a cruiser on the way home. Also the ELSD and more adjustability with drive mode tuning. Hopefully the new mustang corrects that though

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Difference between a Camaro and a Mustang is that you donā€™t need a shoehorn to stick a purse in the trunk

and you have more than 1 cubic inch of interior storage

also am I taking crazy pills or am I the only one that prefers the Mustang Recaros to the Camaroā€™s? Donā€™t care about automatic adjustments as much as I care about the ergos, and thankfully the thighs are raised compared to the hip/ass portion, at least when you lower them all the way
It's going to depend on the person. The mustang Recaros left me with a right leg in pain for a day cause my legs sit above the thigh support, seats fully lowered etc. shorter legs may not notice it but again if the adjustability was there this wouldn't be a topic of convo.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
We can argue about that until the car comes out lol. I think (for the better), Ford should/could have at least offered a more advanced/expensive seat next to the standard and recaro seats we have known since 2015.

I am pretty sure they would have sold a lot. Referring again to this beauty here from the BMW M4. If they'd offered anything similar to that for an additional 4K as option...
--> shut up and take my money.

S650 Mustang Base seats? bmw m4 sitze.JPG

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
It's going to depend on the person. The mustang Recaros left me with a right leg in pain for a day cause my legs sit above the thigh support, seats fully lowered etc. shorter legs may not notice it but again if the adjustability was there this wouldn't be a topic of convo.
Makes sense when you put it like that

Iā€™m 5ā€™11ā€ with what Iā€™d consider normal leg proportions, my issue with the Camaroā€™s seats is more to do with the lack of lateral bolstering. It feels built for heavier folks
Sponsored