• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Hi fellow Aussies

An S650 will be my first Pony.
I'm obsessing over stupid stuff (?) like number plate size options and holders.

Unless PPQ plan to introduce new Mustang themed plates in the next few months, I'll be going for slimlines plates.

Irrespective, I don't want to bend the front plate to suit the bumper:

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames S650-Front-Plate-Raw

S550s pictured below to illustrate the point of the topic:

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames S550-Front-Plate-Raw

Years ago on 6G the guys were raving about the Aussie made Lakin plate holders (which are no longer available due to the death of the proprietor).
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...er-discount-code-mustang6g-lakinplates.31343/

I have never seen them, but I also read of forums that Aussie Ford dealers fit fugly plate holders.

Some use a DIY solutions, like using rubber grommets (brilliant and simple!):

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames S550-Front-Plate-Grommet

This new listing on Car Sales caught my attention:

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames S550-Front-Plate-Holder

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames S550-Rear-Plate-Holder

From the front photo above, it appears the front plate still has to be bent.
Is that true, or an optical illusion?

If the front plate is kept straight, can anyone advise what Brand, model and where they're available from?

Or any other currently available solutions (like what the Lakin holder did)?
Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi fellow Aussies

An S650 will be my first Pony.
I'm obsessing over stupid stuff (?) like number plate size options and holders.

Unless PPQ plan to introduce new Mustang themed plates in the next few months, I'll be going for slimlines plates.

Irrespective, I don't want to bend the front plate to suit the bumper:

S650-Front-Plate-Raw.jpg

S550s pictured below to illustrate the point of the topic:

S550-Front-Plate-Raw.jpg

Years ago on 6G the guys were raving about the Aussie made Lakin plate holders (which are no longer available due to the death of the proprietor).
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...er-discount-code-mustang6g-lakinplates.31343/

I have never seen them, but I also read of forums that Aussie Ford dealers fit fugly plate holders.

Some use a DIY solutions, like using rubber grommets (brilliant and simple!):

S550-Front-Plate-Grommet.jpg

This new listing on Car Sales caught my attention:

S550-Front-Plate-Holder.jpg

S550-Rear-Plate-Holder.jpg

From the front photo above, it appears the front plate still has to be bent.
Is that true, or an optical illusion?

If the front plate is kept straight, can anyone advise what Brand, model and where they're available from?

Or any other currently available solutions (like what the Lakin holder did)?
Any advice appreciated.
Hi Alm. Those look like the Kingpin brackets. Plastic and dirt cheap but good and available from Autobarn. The dealer put them on my car but I managed to get the Lakin before they were no more. The small amount of bend required of the plate to conform with the bumper is looked after when tightening down the plate.

JWM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Mustangs yet
I didn't realise Phil had passed away ... That's a real shame, he was a great guy to deal with, I bought several brackets off him for different cars.

Glad to find this thread. Personally, don't think it's stupid at all, I don't want some hideous bracket on mine either! I don't know if the Mustang will compare, but on the 996 I had - which was the most curved bumper of anything I've owned - Phil made me a bracket that fitted (to some degree) that curve and bending the plate to fit it was actually what looked best - so worth having a play around when you get the actual car I think... I'm hoping I can get the dealer to NOT fit plates so I can do that.

OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only just discovered these!

Flow Designs number plate brackets are 10x the cost of the plastic Kingpin brackets, and are obviously aimed at the prestige end of the market.

https://flowbrackets.com.au/

I guess you get what you pay for; CNC milled aluminium and anodised black along with stainless steel hardware vs plastic.

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames DSC04508_6e8952f5-19dd-4852-bde4-69c11a136e47

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames imperspective_8c23910f-dc7f-4fcb-b86c-c76ac3ee33cb

Wide mounted spacers should accommodate the front bumper bend, and the black TORX dress bolts should almost be invisible with the white on black plates.

Not cheap, but very tempting....

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
Only just discovered these!

Flow Designs number plate brackets are 10x the cost of the plastic Kingpin brackets, and are obviously aimed at the prestige end of the market.

https://flowbrackets.com.au/

I guess you get what you pay for; CNC milled aluminium and anodised black along with stainless steel hardware vs plastic.

DSC04508_6e8952f5-19dd-4852-bde4-69c11a136e47.jpg

imperspective_8c23910f-dc7f-4fcb-b86c-c76ac3ee33cb.jpg

Wide mounted spacers should accommodate the front bumper bend, and the black TORX dress bolts should almost be invisible with the white on black plates.

Not cheap, but very tempting....
That does look awesome. Expensive like you say, but good find.

OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have already purchased a set of slimline (372 x 100mm) plates ready to go.

PPQ (in QLD) have a black Friday sale (surprise surprise) with 15% off right now.
I'm considering getting another plate made for the rear, but a "normal" sized (372 x 134mm) plate.

I think this will fill the space better, and a slimline would sit stupidly high.
#FirstWorldProblems

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames carbonized-gray-2024-mustang-gt-s650-2-

When you have some pride in what you do, it's important things look "just right".

What is everyone else doing?

Last edited:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have already purchased a set of slimline (372 x 100mm) plates ready to go.

PPQ (in QLD) have a black Friday sale (surprise surprise) with 15% off right now.
I'm considering getting another plate made for the rear, but a "normal" sized (372 x 134mm) plate.

I think this will fill the space better, and a slimline would sit stupidly high.
#FirstWorldProblems

carbonized-gray-2024-mustang-gt-s650-2-jpg.jpg

When you have some pride in what you do, it's important things look "just right".

What is everyone else doing?

I went with the stupidly high look.
S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames PXL_20220430_030750261

OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the stupidly high look.
PXL_20220430_030750261.jpg
Hey PK.
Appreciate you posting that - you've convinced me to proceed.
I guess it safe to assume there won't be much difference with the S650.
(The Yankee plates haven't magically changed.)

It's $70 (after BF discount code applied) for a set of standard re-style plates, so bugger all in the big scheme of things.

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames Capture.JPG

S650 Mustang Aussie Number Plate Holders/Frames Capture2.JPG

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
I bought some PPQ plates 3 days before that damned sale lol...
I ordered thin plates front and rear.
I will have a black car with black plates and i personally dont like different size things and on a black car, its black paint with black plate with black diffuser so it should look less obvious than white for example.
I had Lakin plates on my yellow S550.

I might get those expensive ones, or ask my father in law to fabricate something for me! lol

Reactions: PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I bought some PPQ plates 3 days before that damned sale lol...
I ordered thin plates front and rear.
I will have a black car with black plates and i personally dont like different size things and on a black car, its black paint with black plate with black diffuser so it should look less obvious than white for example.
I had Lakin plates on my yellow S550.

I might get those expensive ones, or ask my father in law to fabricate something for me! lol
Yes I'm with you with the slimline front and back. Just seems a sleeker, more modern look.
Sponsored