• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Asking Salesman for an “OTD price” before order is built

FrankAR15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS Fsport, Toyota 4Runner, Genesis coupe
Anyone ask the salesman for an Out the door price before your special order has been delivered?
Just to see what fees they plan on attaching to the sale….
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Idk man… seems beyond petty.. like if a few hundred or thousand discrepancy is a deal breaker I’m not trying to do business with that person…

we have a saying in my friend circle….. “you gonna buy the car or you not gonna buy the car…. He not gonna buy the car”

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Completely fair - they gonna ask for more I’m gonna ask for less, that’s how the game is played

s650.j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP
My dealer gave me a printout with an exact price, including fees. I don’t see the issue with transparency. If a dealer is willing to hide a discrepancy of a few hundred or even thousands of dollars then I wouldn't want to do business with them anyway.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Anyone ask the salesman for an Out the door price before your special order has been delivered?
this should have been done BEFORE even placing the order.

The going rate currently in metro DC is 10-12% below MSRP + TTL/fees.
Unless your order is something wierd, cross-shop the likes of Koons or Ourisman Manassas to see if they have your build on their lot already and you can bargain accordingly.

Also you have your choice of (below-market) Ford interest rates available to you.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I got one, but never had to ask for it. My salesman printed it off for me when I placed my order and stuck to it. If he hadn't I was going to request it, though.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

I did cause I went with my own financing and wanted to have everything ready to pick it up as soon as it got off the truck. But I didn't do it to see any hidden fees.

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
Goodness yes, you must have full details in writing.

If a trade-in is part of your deal, beware of an overly generous valuation of the trade relative to wholesale values when you’re doing a factory order. On my original deal for the order, my trade was valued at roughly $7k over current wholesale book value listed at the time, with a caveat that they would re-appraise at delivery. Naturally, my trade had “dropped“ in value by $7k (25%) during the 5 months I waited for my order and they reappraised it at exactly book value.

Not much to be done about this, except to manage your expectations.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
This is how I’ve bought every car for the last 10 years. I make sure I have an out the door price before I even show up to discuss price. If I need to test drive, I test drive then leave and email or call to finalize pricing. I had a bottom line price on my Mustang order, and the dealer tried to add a doc fee. I told them I wasn’t paying, they said it wasn’t negotiable, and I walked away. They called me 10 minutes later and agreed to a lower price than initially negotiated. If they won’t give you an OTD price, then find another dealer.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
this should have been done BEFORE even placing the order.

The going rate currently in metro DC is 10-12% below MSRP + TTL/fees.
Unless your order is something wierd, cross-shop the likes of Koons or Ourisman Manassas to see if they have your build on their lot already and you can bargain accordingly.

Also you have your choice of (below-market) Ford interest rates available to you.
You mentioned Koons, what a pile of crap dealer. I did get my dark horse from them, but the flat lies and lack of follow thru is unmatched. Had to get Ford corporate involved three time over dealing with them to include "six months wait" to get title and plates. After Ford got involved, paperwork made it here in days. Even then never got any receipt or ownership documents. Had to get Ford involved again just to get a receipt for the car. On your note, no 10-12% below msrp.

Avoid them at all costs.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
First dealer I went to using X-Plan required me to sign all kinds of paperwork and then proceeded to pack the car with crap like Vin etching etc to the tune of ~ $1500 extra. The dealer refused to give me copies of the paperwork. I cancelled the order and got my $500 deposit back... The second dealer I went to with X-Plan, a local mom and pop place, gave me copies of everything and between the time I ordered the car the price increased as well as a charge for the spare tire. When I picked up the car I was charged the original price, no spare tire charge and a $1000 rebate on top of that.. No extra crap added on to the car. Point is, be careful.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Absolutely ask for that out the door price OP.
Help them be transparent.... otherwise they won't be.

If you don't like the OTD including their fees, you can change to a different dealer that won't charge those fees. Make sure you are happy with your deal before your car arrives. Hell, some dealers will still agree to an OTD but then try to upcharge you at time of pickup.

Enough with the stealerships. Don't be surprised if they try to pull a fast one on you. Once they see the car is built and on its way, they are looking for a quick sale and will maximize profits as much as possible. They got you by the short and curlies as you stare out the window looking at your beautiful new car.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
You mentioned Koons, what a pile of crap dealer.
hey, I didn't mention them because of their unreproachable business practices, but rather tendency to have a bunch of units on the lot. I've found Koons to be hugely variable depending on which branch/brand you're dealing with.

Also Mr. Koons just sold out to private equity company so policies/behavior may have been adjusted to "maximize share-holder/investment value".

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
and the dealer tried to add a doc fee. I told them I wasn’t paying, they said it wasn’t negotiable
in VA the "doc fee" must be charged on all transactions, if even one person is charged it. Of course you do just like you did and have them discount the car price to negate.

In MD by law it's "not required" and they even have to post a sign on EVERY entrance attesting to that fact. I've bought in MD twice and both times they refused to waive the doc fee, but I would only agree to a price that negated it. I haven't tested forcing them to strike the line-item entirely.
Sponsored