• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Are the S650 Key Fobs "Motion Sensing"?

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I have been reading that some manufacturers are using motion sensing key fobs. If the fob isn't moved for ~60 seconds, the fob stops transmitting. This prevents fob Cloning.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the EU/UK Ford fobs are now, but that doesn't mean the US made ones are!
I had read that EU/UK were onboard with this strategy. Not sure why US isn't. The Fobs are engineered in the US!

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
if they are motion sensing, Rotunda makes no mention of it except on the part MR3Z-15K601-BB where it mentions a motion sensing and jamming feature. someone would have to do some testing to find out if there is motion sensing

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if they are motion sensing, Rotunda makes no mention of it except on the part MR3Z-15K601-BB where it mentions a motion sensing and jamming feature. someone would have to do some testing to find out if there is motion sensing
I read about one test where you put the Fob on the ground near the vehicle so that you can open the car door (as a distance test). Then leave the Fob on the ground for "some time" - 1 to 2 minutes and then try to open the door without moving the Fob. If you can't open the door, the Fob is motion sensing.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I would think Ford would want to state this in some of their literature as a benefit. The only reason I would think they wouldn't have this feature is cost savings.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think Ford would want to state this in some of their literature as a benefit. The only reason I would think they wouldn't have this feature is cost savings.
Agree.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
There is a very good reason for motion detection in the key fob. They communicate with something like Bluetooth and while the transmitter power is only somewhere around 2 milliwatt, that is enough to run the battery down pretty quick. Accelerometers are now small solid state devices and you only need to wake them up every once in a while to see if the direction of the fob has changed. If it has, turn the transmitter on for a few minutes. If not, leave the fob off to conserve the power.
I have to older fob which would get about 10 years out of a battery. They simply didn't transmit unless you pressed a button. They worked but it's different having a car that knows you're approaching.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
just tested it, there is no motion sensing. i put my keyfob on the ground for 2 mins and it still unlocked with the keyless entry

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Had a headache last night so I wasn't firing on all 8 but there is a second way the FOB might function. The car could broadcast are you there? When the FOB hears it, it responds yes I am. If the FOB only responds when it hears it' id being called and it responds with a different ID. It would be very difficult to get the information needed to fake the FOB.
If this exchange takes place at a frequency less that 200MHm, I have the equipment to detect it. If they use bluetooth, that is well out of the range of what I have. I would suspect bluetooth as you don't need much of an antenna and parts are off the shelf but I think tire sensors run at a much lower frequency so that is vey possible.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Not sure if this is what you mean. When I put the fob in my pocket and go out to the garage, I hear my stang churp and the doors unlock.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if this is what you mean. When I put the fob in my pocket and go out to the garage, I hear my stang churp and the doors unlock.
Nope. That is what the Fob is supposed to do. However, if you put the Fob down and it remains stable/not being moved, it is supposed to stop transmitting until it is moved again. If the Fob has this feature. Otherwise, the Fob never stops transmitting and can be cloned by a scanner.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Do not believe Mustangs are on any hot lists.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Do not believe Mustangs are on any hot lists.
This. Dodge Challengers and Chargers are more prone to car jacks than Mustangs.
Sponsored