• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 Mustang GT

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
That does seem to be very logical. I wonder if anyone with the tick has had to change valves or make adjustments to the top end and the sound disappeared?
I am not sure it can be manually adjusted because everybody uses hydraulic lifters which are self adjusting. Getting away from manual adjustment means you rarely hear of burnt valves today. It used to be common to send a head off to the shop for a valve job.
Higher viscosity oil or some of the oil additive might reduces some of the racket but additives make me a little nervous. Running 40 weight oil probably wouldn't be an issue unless it's in a cold climate. I used to run 20-50 weight oil in my Falcon and never had issues with it but that was in Arizona and California where the coldest it gets is hardly cold enough to freeze water.
Sponsored

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I am not sure it can be manually adjusted because everybody uses hydraulic lifters which are self adjusting. Getting away from manual adjustment means you rarely hear of burnt valves today. It used to be common to send a head off to the shop for a valve job.
Higher viscosity oil or some of the oil additive might reduces some of the racket but additives make me a little nervous. Running 40 weight oil probably wouldn't be an issue unless it's in a cold climate. I used to run 20-50 weight oil in my Falcon and never had issues with it but that was in Arizona and California where the coldest it gets is hardly cold enough to freeze water.
Yep, I know we can’t adjust the valves but was just curious if there were aftermarket valves that someone has used in an engine upgrade kit. Maybe different cams or anything changed that no longer produces the tick after they changed out something on the top end.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
tick happens happens when engine warmed up to 180 degrees and oil pressure is below 40 psi ..noise coming out of the oil pan area
I’m curious if anyone has had the tick happen and runs Amsoil. Or if they have the tick running a 5w40 oil. Is it with certain oil brands, filters, or does it happen with all oils and weights.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tick happens happens when engine warmed up to 180 degrees and oil pressure is below 40 psi ..noise coming out of the oil pan area
As the oil warms, it gets thiner and with lower oil pressure, the lifters get less oil to replenish what leaks out of them under normal operation. I am not sure if you could hear it elsewhere but there is a direct path from the lifters, through the oil return passages to the oil pan for the sound to travel.
Also when the engine runs faster, it makes more noise masking the ticking.

G-Ray 0341

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
This is the noise from my passenger side valve cover. Never heard this sound before. Once again, 1st change has been completed and car has 920 miles on a Dark Horse. It’s not a constant sequence, definitely moved everything and made sure it wasn’t just something rattling against the vale cover.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the noise from my passenger side valve cover. Never heard this sound before. Once again, 1st change has been completed and car has 920 miles on a Dark Horse. It’s not a constant sequence, definitely moved everything and made sure it wasn’t just something rattling against the vale cover.

Very end of the clip is valves. if you listen carefully you will hear a repeating pattern indicating some of the valves are clicking while others are not. You would hear it far better if the valve cover was removed. That is why I am so familiar with it because I have heard engines running with the valve cover off and it's much clearer. Maybe listing through the oil filler hole?
Anyway, the rate the noise repeats is a big clue. So many clicks in a short period of time can only be the valves.

G-Ray 0341

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I am talking about the on and off rattling noise through the entire video. I can hear the faint sounds of the valves.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am talking about the on and off rattling noise through the entire video. I can hear the faint sounds of the valves.
As I mentioned, my hearing isn't the best and I was born with limited hearing. Not enough for hearing aids but not near normal. I couldn't hear much in most of the video but the valves came through loud and clear at the very end.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV

What I hear sounds like the injectors firing and also what sounds like static when scrolling through the radio channels. I think that’s what Dena posted about earlier as to what it would sound like. The constant ticking are the injectors firing. Exactly what my old DI GM engine sounded like. That static rattling I’m not sure

G-Ray 0341

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
What I hear sounds like the injectors firing and also what sounds like static when scrolling through the radio channels. I think that’s what Dena posted about earlier as to what it would sound like. The constant ticking are the injectors firing. Exactly what my old DI GM engine sounded like. That static rattling I’m not sure
I hope it’s all normal, just checking if anyone else has experienced these noises yet. I am familiar with the tick from my 19 GT. This sound is just different. Will just keep enjoying it until something happens I guess. I will have my local dealership listen to it and let everyone know if it’s out of the ordinary. Thanks for the responses.

G-Ray 0341

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
What I will say is the static y’all are hearing is what I am talking about and it’s coming from the motor. I just can’t pinpoint the exact area on the front of the passenger valve cover it’s coming from.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
What I will say is the static y’all are hearing is what I am talking about and it’s coming from the motor. I just can’t pinpoint the exact area on the front of the passenger valve cover it’s coming from.
If you have a long handle screwdriver you can place it on the motor in various spots and put your ear up to the handle. It can help pinpoint where the noise is coming from if you locate the spot. It’s not high tech but it works. Keep us updated on what the dealer says

JS1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, hayabusa

Sounds like the intermittent idler pulley noise my toyota 3.5 makes.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Sounds like the intermittent idler pulley noise my toyota 3.5 makes.
Pretty sure it ain’t but I’d be tempted to pull the pcv and see if it makes any diff. Pull the engine cover and look for something small with enough space to vibrate freely, sounds more plastic / external than metallic internal.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue

I had my car looked at for this exact noise a month back. The master Tech explained to me it was the Check Valve on the PCV. Essentially there is a small metal ball on a spring to open/close the PCV valve. As the car runs it open and close in no orderly fashion, just as it needs. So this is no real threat or thing to worry about, is kind of annoying though.
Sponsored