• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Based on the title I was hoping for something beyond another showroom video lol

13GTCSMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT with PP1. 2021 F150 King Ranch
Still NOT happy Ford decided not to have fog lamps on the 24 model. Just looks off without them!!!

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
This says LA auto show, but it looks like the Charlotte auto show I just got back from. Regardless, seeing the car in person did not change my opinion at all. All of the stuff that bugged me in pictures bugs me in person. I don't think it's a bad looking car, it just doesn't really do anything for me. When I first saw the S550, I thought it looked great. This just makes me feel "meh." I don't like how there's gloss black on the grille and hood vent, but then matte black on the lower corners of the fascia and lower grille. I also don't like the decision to make the gloss black grille section extend down into the front bumper. I personally think that looks terrible, but that's obviously just my opinion. And this is really nit-picky, but I don't like how the driver's side lower front vent is real, but the passenger side is blocked off.

I'd still like to see a Dark Horse in person as I like that front fascia better, even though I think the plastic eye black under the headlights looks awful...

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I also went to the LA auto show this past weekend and have to agree; seeing the car in person didn't change my opinion at all. I don't hate the car or even dislike it and I do think the strange rear end is slowly growing on me but I still think the car is a let down.

I'll try to be as objective as I can.....The S550 came out with a brand new chassis, multi-link IRS, and bigger/better brakes to name a few changes. The IRS was the real game changer in this new platform; easily outperforming the performance models of the S197.

8 years later, Ford announces a "new" generation though it was widely known it would not get a new chassis. Little bummer but the S550 chassis was great so not the end of the world. However, being a "new" generation, I was expecting some other large change to warrant a new generation and drive consumer demand. I was really hoping for double wishbone suspension in the front or substantial weight loss, or something.

Looks aside, we didn't get much. The way you interact with the infotainment is new but the electronic features are unchanged. We get 20+ hp which is nice but not substantial. Suspension is unchanged, brakes are mostly unchanged, weight is unchanged, transmission is unchanged. There just isn't really anything substantially new about this car over the S550 models.

My opinion: this car will seem old very quickly. I hope I'm wrong with future special models but comparing base GT to base GT, it seems all Ford did was put new clothes on the S550 and call it a new car but it's basically the same thing underneath.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
With Challenger/Charger going full electric, and Camaro potentially just going, I'm just glad there IS a next gen Mustang.

Does it deserve to be called an all new generation? Probably not. For me it's more like the change from 2009-2010/11. Upgrades to engine and chassis, all new panels albeit instantly recognisable as the car that went before.

I suspect marketing wanted to call it a new generation. At least it's not quite as hard to swallow as calling an EV SUV a Mustang........

Previous new generations have had completely different project names, too. Fox, SN95, S197, S550......I think it's telling it only jumped one digit to S650.

But, as I stated at the start, I'm just glad we've got another ICE generation to enjoy, Dodge and GM pony fans aren't quite as lucky as us.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
The Mach E is not a Mustang. I will never be convinced otherwise.
Ok, got that out of my system...

I will say, it was almost alarming at how many EV's are coming out now. I'd say easily more than half the LA auto show was full electric.

I don't have anything against EV's directly but as a society, we are SO far away from them being the norm and yet they are being pushed so aggressively.

1. If you can charge at home, cool, but if you live in an apartment, you're screwed for charging. You going to park at the mall for an hour to get 80%?
2. Newsom declared this summer that in 2035, CA will no longer sell gas cars........the very next day, CA residents get a request to not charge their EV's because there is not enough power.
3. Ford Lightning announced and initially instant torque on a truck sounds extremely appealing. Consumers try to tow within towing capacity and get 1/6th the estimated range.
4. Early Teslas are starting to need battery replacements.....$26,000!! And without the battery replaced, the car is useless. So they don't last as long, WAY more expensive to maintain long term, and have essentially zero resale value if you don't do the battery replacement.

Society is not ready for EV's.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I also went to the LA auto show this past weekend and have to agree; seeing the car in person didn't change my opinion at all. I don't hate the car or even dislike it and I do think the strange rear end is slowly growing on me but I still think the car is a let down.

I'll try to be as objective as I can.....The S550 came out with a brand new chassis, multi-link IRS, and bigger/better brakes to name a few changes. The IRS was the real game changer in this new platform; easily outperforming the performance models of the S197.

8 years later, Ford announces a "new" generation though it was widely known it would not get a new chassis. Little bummer but the S550 chassis was great so not the end of the world. However, being a "new" generation, I was expecting some other large change to warrant a new generation and drive consumer demand. I was really hoping for double wishbone suspension in the front or substantial weight loss, or something.

Looks aside, we didn't get much. The way you interact with the infotainment is new but the electronic features are unchanged. We get 20+ hp which is nice but not substantial. Suspension is unchanged, brakes are mostly unchanged, weight is unchanged, transmission is unchanged. There just isn't really anything substantially new about this car over the S550 models.

My opinion: this car will seem old very quickly. I hope I'm wrong with future special models but comparing base GT to base GT, it seems all Ford did was put new clothes on the S550 and call it a new car but it's basically the same thing underneath.
To be fair, the main change, outside of the brand new chassis that was due after essentially 10 years of the S197 being in production, was the move to an independent rear suspension. But that was almost a necessity—as opposed to some groundbreaking engineering innovation—for the Mustang to keep up with its competition. Asking for an upgrade from a MacPherson strut setup to double wishbone is like asking to raise the cost substantially with diminishing real-world returns. You don’t find that kind of front end outside of high end vehicles (I know Honda’s been an outlier) for a reason.

But the 15-17 basically had a dressed up S197 powertrain combo, not far off of the small changes we see from Gen 3 to 4 Coyotes.

So the value proposition is traditional early-stage new-Mustang: you get a new body on a modified existing chassis (see SN95 and S197 for precedent) with new tech to bring it online with the current market trends.

I know that you don’t like this car and you reserve the right to your own opinion, but I think you need to apply some more perspective.

The Mach E is not a Mustang. I will never be convinced otherwise.
Ok, got that out of my system...

I will say, it was almost alarming at how many EV's are coming out now. I'd say easily more than half the LA auto show was full electric.

I don't have anything against EV's directly but as a society, we are SO far away from them being the norm and yet they are being pushed so aggressively.

1. If you can charge at home, cool, but if you live in an apartment, you're screwed for charging. You going to park at the mall for an hour to get 80%?
2. Newsom declared this summer that in 2035, CA will no longer sell gas cars........the very next day, CA residents get a request to not charge their EV's because there is not enough power.
3. Ford Lightning announced and initially instant torque on a truck sounds extremely appealing. Consumers try to tow within towing capacity and get 1/6th the estimated range.
4. Early Teslas are starting to need battery replacements.....$26,000!! And without the battery replaced, the car is useless. So they don't last as long, WAY more expensive to maintain long term, and have essentially zero resale value if you don't do the battery replacement.

Society is not ready for EV's.
This I can agree on, but I think the issue is entirely centered around an insufficient charging network at this time. Too few charging stations, too few chargers at said stations, too much diversity in charging ports when it should be standardized.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
For all intents and purposes, that's exactly what they did.

I went to the Charlotte auto show on Saturday afternoon, which tends to be a busy time for the show here. There was no attention being paid to the new Mustang whatsoever. I even watched one guy walk past it and remark "why is that on the stand? Oh, it's a '24, that's why" and he kept on walking.
Sponsored