• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Speculations for Models Between Dark Horse and GTD?

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
Any intel for a model above the DH yet? With the new Whipple kit for the GT/DH from Ford Performance did Ford paint itself into a corner? I do think there has to be something Ford has been working on, but much lower in price and not nearly as bespoke as the GTD. I'd love to see something, maybe a Dark Horse R. Would they use the 5.2 Predator or would that be seen as being too close to the horsepower and torque numbers to the GTD now? Or is the GTD seen as not really a model in the lineup as it is so bespoke and out of reach, or not available to most? They'd also need to offer something seen as being above the S550 GT500 performance levels. I see that Ford has a void to fill in the market that could compete in the $100-150K range with higher levels of fit/finish and materials of course.

Going forward it does appear that Ford won't be using the Shelby name.

S650 Mustang Speculations for Models Between Dark Horse and GTD? Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.08.22 AM
S650 Mustang Speculations for Models Between Dark Horse and GTD? Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.09.09 AM
S650 Mustang Speculations for Models Between Dark Horse and GTD? Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 7.07.21 AM
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
They all ready have a Dark Horse R... but it's not street legal...

To your point... offering a supercharger for the Dark Horse...

Only thing I can think of is if they offer a Supercharged Dark Horse with some of the wide body stuff from the GTD...

Unfortunately... don't expect fit and finish to be better.. Unfortunately my 350R and 500s I have looked at are not perfect either...

Unfortunately based on the platform... without going full GTD or mid engine or something crazy... without a sticky track..I think the s550 GT500 is at the limit of traction limitations on the street...

More power is great...but without traction... but for example on a 20 to 75 roll... I can pretty much stay even with my buddies Hellcat on a stock tire..on the street

OP
OP
Rated R

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit/finish was pretty good on my '13 B302's but less than acceptable on my '16 and '17 GT350's.

And yes I think we've reached the end of the horsepower wars. Light weighting and grip seems to be the only way forward.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I, along with plenty of others I'm sure, will be very disappointed if there won't be any designated Shelby models that come out for the 7th generation.

I would like to see the Boss 302 name revived. :) Should have been available for the S550 generation but never happened. That and maybe the Terminator and Cobra names as well.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I'm thinking maybe a GT350. Ford has pretty much out priced the GTD for the average market. Something a little more in the $80k-$90k range with 600ish horsepower would be nice.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Fit/finish was pretty good on my '13 B302's but less than acceptable on my '16 and '17 GT350's.

And yes I think we've reached the end of the horsepower wars. Light weighting and grip seems to be the only way forward.
To be fair, this was the exact position GM was in for the c7, their solution? Make the c8 mid engine. Time will tell if Ford takes a similar approach. It makes way more sense for them to go mid-engine, than it did for Chevy, given all the mid-engine experience Ford has with the gt's, rs200, and mustang concepts.

Regarding the s650, I think we'll see a stripped down, lighter version of the dark horse. I highly doubt we'll see the voodoo make a comeback, that engine was a clusterf in terms of reliability. But maybe an NA version of the predator. Then the gt 500 might have some parts off the GTD.
Stylistically, this is one of few mustang generations where Ford is putting real effort into making different performance mustangs look drastically different to one another, so expect wild styling changes as well.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I, along with plenty of others I'm sure, will be very disappointed if there won't be any designated Shelby models that come out for the 7th generation.
Shelby was a good thing while it stuck around, but we can't hold onto the past forever. I firmly believe we need to go with either performance names, like Terminator, and dark horse. New names, or historical names that aren't as commonly used. It doesn't help that the Shelby corporation is known to massively overcharge for licensing fees.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
………… go Electric…. Shelby GT-E.

the only other trick up the company sleeve is……. 3.5 V6TT

And I know there was a mule for this a few years back, but it got shelved (and destroyed the GT 350 in testing)

are people ready to pay 100k plus for a V6 raptor engine mustang??

OP
OP
Rated R

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, this was the exact position GM was in for the c7, their solution? Make the c8 mid engine. Time will tell if Ford takes a similar approach. It makes way more sense for them to go mid-engine, than it did for Chevy, given all the mid-engine experience Ford has with the gt's, rs200, and mustang concepts.

Regarding the s650, I think we'll see a stripped down, lighter version of the dark horse. I highly doubt we'll see the voodoo make a comeback, that engine was a clusterf in terms of reliability. But maybe an NA version of the predator. Then the gt 500 might have some parts off the GTD.
Stylistically, this is one of few mustang generations where Ford is putting real effort into making different performance mustangs look drastically different to one another, so expect wild styling changes as well.
I'd be up for mid engine. I never used the trunk or the rear seats much at all in any of my Mustangs. And I loved that FPC voodoo in my GT350's. Unfortunately I had two because the first one's engine seized.

OP
OP
Rated R

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

the only other trick up the company sleeve is……. 3.5 V6TT

And I know there was a mule for this a few years back, but it got shelved (and destroyed the GT 350 in testing)

Hell no to either, I'm out on both of those. I would like to see the voo doo revived and worked on to become more reliable. You felt that engine to your core above 3K rpm's.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Well those are most likely your only future options… hell the GT500 may end up 3.5 or 3.7 V6TT.

like the GT.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I'd be up for mid engine. I never used the trunk or the rear seats much at all in any of my Mustangs. And I loved that FPC voodoo in my GT350's. Unfortunately I had two because the first one's engine seized.
This is where the idea of multiple mustang models really comes into its own. What if Ford decided to keep the front engine car, and offered a mid engine model alongside it. That way, the more exotic mustang wouldn't come at the expense of the traditional coupe. I want Ford to move away from Shelby licensing, but if they did make a mid-engine car to compete with the Corvette, I'd want it to be called the mustang cobra. The cobra and Corvette battling it out, just like old times.

OP
OP
Rated R

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper

YESSSS!!! As long as there is a droptop convertible version available, FORD TAKE MY MONEY.

OP
OP
Rated R

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an ecopoof in my '17 Raptor. I think that engine sucks no matter how much boost Ford gives it.
Sponsored