• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why not vent on Ecoboost hood?

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
It just occurred to me, the entry level Mustang does not have a vented hood. I am wondering why. The reason I ask, my MazdaSpeed3 could develop some serious heat. It would seem the Ecoboost Mustang would benefit as much (or more) from a vented hood design as any N.A V8 (i.e. the GT). The MazdaSpeed3 had a functional system to funnel air directly to the intercooler. Still there was plenty of heat. Any bird unfortunate enough to get sucked in was quick fried in a short period of time. (As I found out--slow flying bird.)

Even if it didn't share a hood with the GT, it would seem some kind of heat extractor or air induction system like the MazaSpeed3, would benefit the boosted Mustang.

Just a thought...cost issue, not wanting to blur product lines?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The '15-'17 Ecoboost didn't have heat extractors either, so I'm guess they feel (and previously felt) they are not necessary.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Smaller engines create less heat, plus Ford would like you to pony up more $$$ for the GT to get hood vents. Definitely product alignment mixed in with actual functionality.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
It just occurred to me, the entry level Mustang does not have a vented hood. I am wondering why. The reason I ask, my MazdaSpeed3 could develop some serious heat. It would seem the Ecoboost Mustang would benefit as much (or more) from a vented hood design as any N.A V8 (i.e. the GT). The MazdaSpeed3 had a functional system to funnel air directly to the intercooler. Still there was plenty of heat. Any bird unfortunate enough to get sucked in was quick fried in a short period of time. (As I found out--slow flying bird.)

Even if it didn't share a hood with the GT, it would seem some kind of heat extractor or air induction system like the MazaSpeed3, would benefit the boosted Mustang.

Just a thought...cost issue, not wanting to blur product lines?
It's definitely not a cost issue, it's more expensive to produce two different hoods than one. Mostly done to differentiate between trims. The s550 eb didn't have hood vents either unless I'm missing something, and they never really had an issue.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
It's definitely not a cost issue, it's more expensive to produce two different hoods than one. Mostly done to differentiate between trims. The s550 eb didn't have hood vents either unless I'm missing something, and they never really had an issue.
From 2018 on, both the 4T and GT had the same hood vents.

Park

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT, 20 EB, 21 BS
Are they really heat extractors ? I thought they reduced hood flutter ?
My 20 EB and 21 GT have the same hood vents.
Sponsored