• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What to do about rubbing after Steeda Springs and new tire/wheels

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
So I posted a few days ago that I got my Steeda Lowering Springs installed paired with my Velgen VF10s, 20x10 285/35R20 F and 20x11 305/30R20 R. I had zero rub from lockout to lockout on the fronts, but was getting a nasty rub on the driver's side front on any cornering and slight bumps. I just got back from the ford dealership after my alignenment, and the rub is better, but not gone fully. So now I'm looking for opinions on what to do, do I leave it be as it looks like the rub is from the wheel well liner on the top edge of the sidewall, do I buy 275's (not sure how much more clearance that'd give) or do I put the stock Springs back on (I don't want to do the most). I've seen plenty of people running this setup as well as Cleared with Velgen and Steeda that this fitment wouldn't cause issues so it's frustrating that I'm having issues.

It really could be me being too critical because like duh hard cornering and bumps are going to rub on a lowered car, but no one ever says that so it's making me think it's a problem.

Posted is the before and after of my alignment, only thing that was way whacky was the driver's side front toe, which I do think had something to do with it being so bad before the alignment, but I'm not fully sure what all I'm looking at. The passenger side front has only rubbed 2 times and it was a big bump and a really hard cornering, not sure what the difference is seeing as how my drivers side camber is more negative so the problem area is theoretically further from where I'm rubbing on the driver's side then the passenger side.

S650 Mustang What to do about rubbing after Steeda Springs and new tire/wheels 20240207_115733
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up ordering a set of 275/35R20s just now, hoping the 8mm height difference and 10mm width difference will make it clear.

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
I started to investigate this some months back when the vehicle first launched but held off until more data was available. Early on it definitely seemed like MagneRide equipped GTs' we're having different fitment issues than standard equipped PP vehicles. I too have the Steeda springs and had issues with a 10.5 wide rim with a +24MM offset (Mach-1 handling pack wheel) so it makes sense your 20x10 +34 offset would be a really tight fit and work fine until some hard cornering. I ended up fitting a 9.5 wide rim on a +40MM offset with 275's at the road course and worked great after tracking it. The few extra MM you're saving going to a 275 might make the whole difference otherwise might need to step down to a slightly smaller wheel.

Last edited:

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I’ve been reading from eibach that the biggest tire setup is 275/35 20 front, and 305/35 20 rear is the most you can do with max drop. Tons is people went with steeda, but I went with eibach instead. 1.5 front, and 1.3 rear. Those are my tire specs above.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been reading from eibach that the biggest tire setup is 275/35 20 front, and 305/35 20 rear is the most you can do with max drop. Tons is people went with steeda, but I went with eibach instead. 1.5 front, and 1.3 rear. Those are my tire specs above.
No rub in any scenario?

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
No rub in any scenario?
Not with normal driving, but speeds bumps you just need to slow down. Driveways, etc. You will be fine if you go any lower in tire size for sure. But I like the 305 on the rear, some are doing 295 on the rear though. But going anything higher than 275 on the front, is not a good look. If will rub. I've seen 315 on the rear, and no rub...but it depends on your wheel and offset. I have AR946 Wheels, 20x9.5 front (offset 32mm) and 20x11 rear (offset 50mm). I'll post pics when I get a chance with a side view before and after lowering it.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NOPE, you will be fine if you go any lower in tire size for sure. But I like the 305 on the rear, some are doing 295 on the rear though. But going anything higher than 275 on the front, is not a good look. If will rub. I've seen 315 on the rear, and no rub...but it depends on your wheel and offset. I have AR946 Wheels, 20x9.5 front (offset 32mm) and 20x11 rear (offset 50mm). I'll post pics when I get a chance with a side view before and after lowering it.
Right on. Hoping I can sell the 2 front 285s I have now to get some money back since I'm 4 wheels and 6 tires into this adventure. They have less than 20 miles on them so practically new.

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Right on. Hoping I can sell the 2 front 285s I have now to get some money back since I'm 4 wheels and 6 tires into this adventure. They have less than 20 miles on them so practically new.
You will get your money back, or you can just store them up for another build. My storage is LOADED with rims and tires, LOL

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Here ya go, I took a pic a few moments ago, it's very nice. Better than factory, and no rub or scrub. My driveway is DEEP too when you pull in, no issues at all.
S650 Mustang What to do about rubbing after Steeda Springs and new tire/wheels Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 6.42.22 PM

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go, I took a pic a few moments ago, it's very nice. Better than factory, and no rub or scrub. My driveway is DEEP too when you pull in, no issues at all.
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 6.42.22 PM.png
Looks good!

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-subframe-alignment-and-support-kit.html For the subframe.

You F.L. camber is just slightly off too, which could cause a little rub. That's where camber plates come in.
I'm not worried about where the camber is off at, as it's in the range I'd be accepting. I just think the 285s are the issue. The rub is on the outside of the tire so any more positive on the camber will make it worse. But I fully believe the toe being off on the FL had a big role in the issue, as it is not near as bad now as it was before the alignment. I still have 275s on the way and they are already scheduled to be put on Wednesday next week.
Sponsored