• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
You are right.

It’s definitely my problem. I’m the dumb ass who gave $4,300 to one of the venders on this site thinking the wheels would fit flush without running so much negative rear camber. They should have warned me. But that’s on me.

I learned my lesson and now I know to look for a 53ET rear wheel. I just hope others will read this and know what they are buying before spending $4,300. If they are fine with poke, go for it. If they are fine with the look and performance of -2.7 rear camber, go for it. But if they expect a flush fit without changing the factory camber, they shouldn’t buy these rear wheels.

As for me, it’s not a big deal in the long run. I’ll just buy some other wheels when I figure out what will fit properly and sell these to the first person who gives me a couple of bucks and move on. It’s not about the money to me. It’s about the time I’ve spent doing an alignment, emailing Vibe asking for help with a solution, and mounting tires. I’ve spent 3 days doing the wheels/tires and two alignments.

There is no doubt many people will be fine running 50ET rear offset. Look how many people run 25mm spacers and like the poke. I absolutely, positively HATE any poke. It looks cheap to me. You don’t see any nice car come from the factory with “poke”. As for running aggressive negative camber, it’s better than poke. But I still don’t like that slammed look. I’d rather have a flush look. But that’s just me. Again, people like different things. That’s why these cars are fun to mod.
stop blaming the vendor. And your camber isn’t anywhere near bad nor making it look slammed lol. you bought an 11” wheel and didn’t think you would need negative camber. That’s definitely on you and nobody else.
Sponsored

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
Someone Explain to me what the OP means by HT53 etc? im fixing to order 20x10 and 20x11 Velgen wheels to put on 285/35R20 and 305/30R20, just curious. I don't mind a slight camber or anything like that. will also be lowered on steeda progressives

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
stop blaming the vendor. And your camber isn’t anywhere near bad nor making it look slammed lol. you bought an 11” wheel and didn’t think you would need negative camber. That’s definitely on you and nobody else.
Running a 11" wheel has nothing to do with needing to run an excessive amount of camber. That IMO is a lot of camber even for a street set-up.
It is the Offset that is making him run that much camber.
I didn't really see him blaming anyone just give others a heads up!

Someone Explain to me what the OP means by HT53 etc? im fixing to order 20x10 and 20x11 Velgen wheels to put on 285/35R20 and 305/30R20, just curious. I don't mind a slight camber or anything like that. will also be lowered on steeda progressives
Velgens fit perfect. They have lots of pictures showing this.

Last edited:

GT0038

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT/sold :(
That kind of negative rear camber is typical for track use but not street use. Depending on what brand and type of tire you will probably see excessive wear around 8-15k miles. Keep in mind also the tire manufactures don't have any regulations for their sizing. So for example a 315/30 for one brand might be narrower then another brand. You can also see this when you look at the tire manufacturers website sometimes you will see Brand A will recommend 11" rim for a 315 while Brand B might recommend 11.5 or 10.5.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Someone Explain to me what the OP means by HT53 etc?
The term "ET53" is a reference as to how many millimeters (MM), the wheel is pushed inside or outside of the rim's centerline. Rims with a (+) are drawn to the inside of the wheel well, relative to the centerline of the rim. Wheels with a (-) offset are pushed towards the outside. The greater the number, the more the offset, in MMs. A wheel with an ET of +53 will be tucked towards the inside of the wheel well more than a wheel with an ET of +35.

For Mustangs in-general, wheels on the rear often have an ET of a greater (+) number in the rear than the front, as the rear suspension will accommodate a wider wheel and tire.

The factory wheels on my '22 were ET of +24 (front) and +56 (rear). But I changed that. I'm currently running with an ET of +35 all-around, for a simpler square (tires all same size) setup (285/35/19). On the front, I have a thumb's width of gap to the strut.

A change in offset of only a few MMs can be meaningful (poke, necessary alignment adjustments, suspension and/or brakes touching).

I noticed you live in Indiana. Think of your long-term objectives with the car, rims and tires. If you want to ever run an A/S tire for the colder seasons, you might need yet another set of rims. Summer tires and their sizes are plentiful. A/S treads, not so much.

It's always a good idea to confirm things as much as possible before purchase. It's my belief that most vendors test and measure their products with factory suspensions and alignments, unless noted elsewhere. For safety reasons, most vendors will not accept returns.

https://cncwheels.com.au/wheel-offset-explained/

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/wheel-width-and-et-offset-explained#:~:text=Offset is stamped on a,wheels will protrude further out.

"Offset is stamped on a wheel as an ET value, which refers to the German phrase “Einpress Tiefe.” ET indicates the distance between the mounting surface and the geometric centre of the wheel (the symmetry axle), usually expressed in millimetres.

When the ET value decreases, the alloy wheels will protrude further out. An increased ET value, on the other hand, results in moving the wheel location deeper into the wheel arch."

Last edited:

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
We are sorry to hear the trouble you are going through ! Feel free to let us know if any fitment questions we will take care of you 😎
Nice response, that’s what makes you reputable among all the Mustangers!! Much appreciated from all of us!

Supra Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion, '24 Mustang GT
I'd like to see how it looks with a 295/35/20. Michelin makes their Pilot Super Sport that size (so does Conti/Pirelli/Yokohama, etc)

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vapor Blue GT PP X-Pipe & HRE FF10's
I appreciate the insight on this; I just picked up a set of HRE FF10's in the same configuration and am waiting on tires to come in. I bought these wheels to replace the Mach-1 HP wheels i had on the car as the offset caused rubbing in the front as well as a ton of poke. This is my first-time adding aftermarket wheels to a car so I have a lot to learn, I went with 275/35r20 & 305/35r20 tires as I noticed many chose that size between the vendors on this forum as well as folks on the 6g forum. I also noticed that some people on this thread ran a rear tire with a smaller aspect ratio than the front which i didn't know could be done but makes sense in order to retain the overall tire height. My question is will I be ok running a taller rear tire, or should I drop the rears down to a 305/30r20?

Project6GR Wheels

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Nice response, that’s what makes you reputable among all the Mustangers!! Much appreciated from all of us!
We have been in the mustang community for years! and are glad to be apart of, always here to help!

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
I appreciate the insight on this; I just picked up a set of HRE FF10's in the same configuration and am waiting on tires to come in. I bought these wheels to replace the Mach-1 HP wheels i had on the car as the offset caused rubbing in the front as well as a ton of poke. This is my first-time adding aftermarket wheels to a car so I have a lot to learn, I went with 275/35r20 & 305/35r20 tires as I noticed many chose that size between the vendors on this forum as well as folks on the 6g forum. I also noticed that some people on this thread ran a rear tire with a smaller aspect ratio than the front which i didn't know could be done but makes sense in order to retain the overall tire height. My question is will I be ok running a taller rear tire, or should I drop the rears down to a 305/30r20?
There's many reasons why people would run a smaller aspect ratio in the rear. One reason people will run a smaller aspect ratio is to keep the rear tire roughly the same size as the front tire. For example here is what your 275/35 305/35 will look like side by side
S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Screenshot_20240110_120757_Firefox

You'll be fine to run similar ratios. The only tradeoff between the two is same size tires at the sacrifice of rear ride comfort due to a smaller, and by consequence, stiffer sidewall.

VELGEN WHEELS

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 /DH
Thirsty Around here......

To the OP..... A 20x11 with a ET50 and running a 315-35-20 its tad aggressive for us. I would have told you to run a 305-35-20 to help with the tire fender fitment. Running a 20x11 et 50 with a 305 would have been perfect fitment I see in your post you stated that the Vendor suggested a 305 but you ran the 315, you really cant blame the vendor if they told you the right suggested tire. Iam also guessing you are adding the camber to push the wheel inside the fender to give you the fitment you want, but remember its the tow whats key on these cars. Sometime's it's good to contact the manufacture just to confirm fitment and tire questions, if not 100 % sure on tires. I have attached some images below on our fitment running 20x11 with 315-35-20 & 305-35-20

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit S650 Velgen Light Weight VF9-2

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit S650 Velgen Light Weight VF9-1

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 1.19.03 PM

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 1.20.24 PM

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit S650 Velgen Light Weight Series Vf10

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Steeda X Velgen Velgen Wheels

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.54.42 PM

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit Darhorse Velgen VF10-2

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit DH Velgen Wheels Vf10-1

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Running a 11" wheel has nothing to do with needing to run an excessive amount of camber. That IMO is a lot of camber even for a street set-up.
It is the Offset that is making him run that much camber.
I didn't really see him blaming anyone just give others a heads up!

Velgens fit perfect. They have lots of pictures showing this.
lol -2.5 isn’t excessive and he is blaming. Read his posts! He says 2mm of more offset would help which is laughable. His Offset has nothing to do with it. 50-52mm he wouldn’t even notice.

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vapor Blue GT PP X-Pipe & HRE FF10's
There's many reasons why people would run a smaller aspect ratio in the rear. One reason people will run a smaller aspect ratio is to keep the rear tire roughly the same size as the front tire. For example here is what your 275/35 305/35 will look like side by side
Screenshot_20240110_120757_Firefox.jpg

You'll be fine to run similar ratios. The only tradeoff between the two is same size tires at the sacrifice of rear ride comfort due to a smaller, and by consequence, stiffer sidewall.
Great info, thank you! I think im going to go with 305/30r20's for the rears as i do want the tires to be relatively the same size. Plus giving the extra room should yield for a flush fit & alignment.

Project6GR Wheels

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
‘I don’t see any poke. I hate any poke. About as much as I hate too much negative camber. Lol
Here is our 20x11 with a 315/30/20 Let us know if you see any poke also lowered on steeda springs. Doesnt seem aggressive to us fitment looks perfect

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit DSC06761

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit DSC06762

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit DSC06779

S650 Mustang Warning about HRE wheels and how they fit DSC06788 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited: