• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Dude, S550 was more heavily influenced by the other Ford products around at the time than the S650. Case in point - the Fusion - I vividly remember people shitting on the S550 because it looked like a Fusion coupe due to similar grille design, similar headlight design, and same character line running along the sides.

The S650 headlights ARE a modern interpretation of the shark gills, whether you like it or not.
Buddy, the Fusion and all the other Ford products were designed after the Mustang was locked-in...Ford screwed up and due to delays and awkward timing, the Fusion beat the Mustang to the market lol. This is a story told many a time; S550 was penned first and late to the party with the family look to be based on the S550 aka "One Ford" design language...lol get it? "One Ford" represented globalization through a common design scheme with all models produced, and the global Mustang/S550 was supposed to be the car to kickstart the new era...not the freakin' Fusion lol. Call it a miscue due to production and economics being a sad reality, thus giving the S550 a bad wrap to some upon reveal. The EVOs concept was essentially the Mustang preview and a glimpse at One Ford...not a glimpse at the Fusion lol.

And no, horizontal lines and squares have nothing to do with vertical lines and circles; there is no way that the S650 gets heritage closer than the S550 did lol. The headlights + the 3 inch black diaper 2.0 diffuser will be the first things that Ford changes during the S650 refresh.
Sponsored

Last edited:

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
And no, horizontal lines and squares have nothing to do with vertical lines and circles; there is no way that the S650 gets heritage closer than the S550 did lol. The headlights + the 3 inch black diaper 2.0 diffuser will be the first things that Ford changes during the S650 refresh.
The creased taillights and wide hips are very much '68, more so than S650.

With that said, I doubt a refresh will significantly change the diffuser. The headlights may very well get a redesign of sorts, but I don't expect them to to use any less than 3 main LED elements. So sounds like S650 is out for you bud. Get a used S550 then.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
The creased taillights and wide hips are very much '68, more so than S650.

With that said, I doubt a refresh will significantly change the diffuser. The headlights may very well get a redesign of sorts, but I don't expect them to to use any less than 3 main LED elements. So sounds like S650 is out for you bud. Get a used S550 then.
Dude...the S650 has the exact same dimensions as the S550. The hips aren't any bigger lol...the only real change is a one inch lower beltline, more plastic out back with less metal, and a sloping hood/wedge effect done right versus the slapdash shoehorn attempt at that with the S550 refresh and the linear stance of the original S550. And the 68 uses vertical lights instead of the S550 refresh Chevron lights...the S550 uses veriltical lights too, so does that mean it's more accurate than the S650 lol? You guys just need to stop and accept that the S650 is an aggro attempt at continuing the S550 with modern trends at heart and way, way, way less retro cues. And I already have a 2015 lol.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Dude...the S650 has the exact same dimensions as the S550. The hips aren't any bigger lol. And the 68 uses vertical lights instead of the Chevron lights...the S550 uses veriltical lights too, so does that mean it's more accurate than the S650 lol? You guys just need to stop and accept that the S650 is an aggro attempt at continuing the S550 with modern trends at heart and way, way, way less retro cues. And I already have a 2015 lol.

Ok dude. Enjoy that Fusion coupe.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
They definitely wanted to emphasize a wide DRG with the DTLs this time, as opposed to bringing the focal point to the center when you glance at it from a distance.

They paid fair enough homage to the 65+ gills with the S550. Agree it’s time to move on. With that said I think it’s valid to wish that Ford was a little more creative. I’m just glad that they didn’t add those awful vertical slats like on the Mach-E.
I kinda love what they did with the new headlights. I haven't seen many people bring this up, but one of the things that makes the s650 front end look so good, is the strong linear brow line running across the entire front end. Makes the front end look sportier, and more muscular. Placing those three LEDs right at the top of the headlights really enhances that design feature.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Dude, S550 was more heavily influenced by the other Ford products around at the time than the S650. Case in point - the Fusion - I vividly remember people shitting on the S550 because it looked like a Fusion coupe due to similar grille design, similar headlight design, and same character line running along the sides.

The S650 headlights ARE a modern interpretation of the shark gills, whether you like it or not.
Yeah, I'm debating if I prefer the side surfacing or the s550, or the s650. The s650 is cleaner, but the s550 side looks a little sharper. The issue with the two lines on the side of the s550 is they're are very similar to the explorer, and tarus character lines on their doors. It looks good for sure, but it's derivative to an extent. The s650 uses more distinct design elements specific to the mustang. Whereas the s550 as you pointed out was kinda mashing various ford design cues together, but still looks really good.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Buddy, the Fusion and all the other Ford products were designed after the Mustang was locked-in...Ford screwed up and due to delays and awkward timing, the Fusion beat the Mustang to the market lol. This is a story told many a time; S550 was penned first and late to the party with the family look to be based on the S550 aka "One Ford" design language...lol get it? "One Ford" represented globalization through a common design scheme with all models produced, and the global Mustang/S550 was supposed to be the car to kickstart the new era...not the freakin' Fusion lol. Call it a miscue due to production and economics being a sad reality, thus giving the S550 a bad wrap to some upon reveal. The EVOs concept was essentially the Mustang preview and a glimpse at One Ford...not a glimpse at the Fusion lol.

Hard to say, the tarus and explorer designs that came out around 2010 (some of ford's best mainstream designs imo) shared some similar design features to the s550. Like the 2 character lines running along the side. If that gen of explorer came out in 2010, that means the design was probably locked in around '07-'08. 1-2 years before the s550 project began. But I agree the evos shown in 2012 was meant to preview the mustang above all else.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I kinda love what they did with the new headlights. I haven't seen many people bring this up, but one of the things that makes the s650 front end look so good, is the strong linear brow line running across the entire front end. Makes the front end look sportier, and more muscular. Placing those three LEDs right at the top of the headlights really enhances that design feature.
For sure, and they did it without making it look like another super-throwback retro thing. Really good mix of sporty proportions with muscular styling.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Hard to say, the tarus and explorer designs that came out around 2010 (some of ford's best mainstream designs imo) shared some similar design features to the s550. Like the 2 character lines running along the side. If that gen of explorer came out in 2010, that means the design was probably locked in around '07-'08. 1-2 years before the s550 project began. But I agree the evos shown in 2012 was meant to preview the mustang above all else.
S550 design and planning officially began in late 2008/2009 and the production design was finalized in 2011. Ummm, Oppolock's avatar is one of the earliest front end sketches from the very beginning back in 2008...you guys are not exactly impressing anybody with what you know lol, but thanks for being Mustang fans all the same. "Fusion Coupe" 😱

S650 Mustang Video: Dark Horse S650 shown to assembly workers w/ headlights animation, cold start and revving sounds 2015mustangsketch1-

S650 Mustang Video: Dark Horse S650 shown to assembly workers w/ headlights animation, cold start and revving sounds 2015mustangsketch2-

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
S550 design and planning officially began in late 2008/2009 and the production design was finalized in 2011. Ummm, Oppolock's avatar is one of the earliest front end sketches from the very beginning back in 2008...you guys are not exactly impressing anybody with what you know lol, but thanks for being Mustang fans all the same. "Fusion Coupe" 😱

2015mustangsketch1-jpg.jpg

2015mustangsketch2-jpg.jpg
I’m staying out of this discussion but just want to say it’s still one of my favorite design sketches of all time

What kills me is that one of the GT350 exists in the same style, so I’m assuming same artist. I just can’t find it online. There was one in a gallery owner’s booklet I had and lost 😭 can only find the OG GT and GT500 online, ugh

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
I’m staying out of this discussion but just want to say it’s still one of my favorite design sketches of all time

What kills me is that one of the GT350 exists in the same style, so I’m assuming same artist. I just can’t find it online. There was one in a gallery owner’s booklet I had and lost 😭 can only find the OG GT and GT500 online, ugh
Fun fact...S550 and S650 were co-developed/sketched simultaneously lol. I think I know what you're talking about...it was a sketchboard/designboard conceptual picture and possibly only found in the background of a photo/video anymore.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

2015mustangsketch1-jpg.jpg

2015mustangsketch2-jpg.jpg
I just said the s550 design process began in '09. To which you responded that the s550 design process actually began in '09. You just confirmed what I said. If you're confused, I'm saying the explorers design, which uses some design features similar to the s550 came out in 2010 as a 2011 model year. That means that design for the explorer was locked in sometime around 07-08, before the s550 project began in '09. Which means some of the styling details on the s550 were taken from things like the explorer with the two lines on the side and the type of surfacing they use. It's not a bad thing

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Ok dude. Enjoy that Fusion coupe.
'15 thru '17 maybe, but so what, it is still a beautiful design. A design that the s650 is built from and enjoys. The '18 plus refresh in no way resembles a Fusion. I still think the s650 employs many Camaro styling cues, but that is OK with me because I like the current Camaro design (just not the interior). With that being said, then with the '24 Stang, I guess one can say "Enjoy the Camaro refresh" LOL.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
I just said the s550 design process began in '09. To which you responded that the s550 design process actually began in '09. You just confirmed what I said. If you're confused, I'm saying the explorers design, which uses some design features similar to the s550 came out in 2010 as a 2011 model year. That means that design for the explorer was locked in sometime around 07-08, before the s550 project began in '09. Which means some of the styling details on the s550 were taken from things like the explorer with the two lines on the side and the type of surfacing they use. It's not a bad thing
...you ever think that the S550 exploratory stages, oh I dunno, helped to pen things like the Explorer's lines lol? Work and ideas were going on before things officially began...lots of competition and thoughts/ideas being dreamed-up and presented before Ford rolled with Kuric and got things started. There's a whole video about it still up on YouTube where they tour around the design studio and look at various pre-production sketches and lifesized models of what the car was to be. It's good stuff.

Thanks for supporting the Stang!
Sponsored