• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The Dash cam thread

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Dashcams, I know many are considering this as the first "mod" they do for their S650.

Something I posted last week in the Australia forum on 6G may be of interest:

Most have really poor video quality.

For reviews, Vortex Radar on YouTube is worth subscribing to.

Sony have not long released their Starvis 2 sensor, which is far superior to anything else.
Currently, there's only one dashcam that has the Starvis 2 in it, the Viofo A139.

and more recently:

If you can afford to wait, more dashcam manufacturers will no doubt adopt and incorporate this new Starvis 2 sensor into their forthcoming dashcam models.

That's what I'm doing, just waiting for a few more Starvis 2 based models to choose between.

Youtubers that post dashcam compilation are also worth subscribing to as well.
Aside from watching the idiots out there do their stuff, by watching the weekly compilations, you can see which dashcams are to be avoided. (They often have the model number burnt in on the recorded video)

(An Aussie guy, you probably have many others more local to you)

EDIT: 28/01/24 (or 01/28/24 for NA)

Updated summary chart of sensors being used.

S650 Mustang The Dash cam thread Dash-Cams

Right now, Viofo A229 Pro is only dash cam offering that has Starvis 2 sensors for both front and rear cameras.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Already bought a Viofo A229 when it was on sale months ago.

I can't find it, but a while ago I thought I read that there is a power port up by the mirror now to plug in Dash cams. Then we won't need to run the wire to the fuse box. Can anyone confirm this? If true it would be really nice.

prestj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 TBC
Stange no dark horse as that is designed for track use so I would have thought a dash cam would make total sense.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Really enjoyed that second vortex radar video. Never watched him before but I like his style. Def considering getting an A139 now unless better options come before my GT arrives. That sensor is super crisp

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Thank you very much. My current car has a front camera that can record already but I would consider the Vortex if my car wouldn't have that feature.
It's unfortunately a must have in 2023...

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
Anyone have a preferred rear-view camera? Sure, not nearly as important, but Id like to cover my ass just in case

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
If buying a new camera I would opt for Voifo's 2 channel (A139 PRO 2CH) with the new Starvis 2 chip.

Seems to be the absolute best at the moment. However I am not sure how good Voifos parking mode is compared to e.g. Blackvue

Last edited:

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Anyone have a preferred rear-view camera? Sure, not nearly as important, but Id like to cover my ass just in case
PCWorld.com just released an article (2 days ago) about the best dash cameras you can buy.

OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
There is no doubt the new Sony Starvis 2 sensor is the best out there... right now.

For my fellow nerds and those who like to know how stuff works:
Sony - Dash cams
Sony - Security Camera Image Sensor Technology STARVIS™ / STARVIS 2

Sony also have another 4K Starvis 2 sensor IMX585, but with larger pixels.
The 585 has a Quantum Efficiency of 91% vs 83% with the 678)
(Simply, a larger sensor allows more light to be captured and converted into electronic signals for processing)

S650 Mustang The Dash cam thread application_its_drive-recorder__img_10_e

This is where we need to wait a little bit to see what other dash cam manufacturers will be offering with sensors and functionality.

Interesting times ahead!

If you need a dash cam right now, the Viofo A139 Pro should be on your short-list to consider.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found it!

Screenshot_20230425_213141_Chrome.jpg
You will not find a single radar detector in Virginia and they, also, have a law about things hanging from your rearview mirror. So, the whole concept having an USB port on your mirror is quite ludicrous.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
You will not find a single radar detector in Virginia and they, also, have a law about things hanging from your rearview mirror. So, the whole concept having an USB port on your mirror is quite ludicrous.
Damn I sure wish Virginia wasn't the only place in the world 😞

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
My 1st ticket ever was driving through Virginia. Not because I was speeding, but because I had a radar detector.....wasn't turned on at the time because when you enter Virginia it states they are illegal.....so I turned it off. Still got the ticket for it being displayed.

#FJB
#FVirginia

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn I sure wish Virginia wasn't the only place in the world 😞
Hanging things from rearview mirrors is illegal in at least six other states: Minnesota; California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Texas