• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Steering feel on s650 vs s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
I recently bought my s650 performance pack after owning 2 s550’s performance packs. I’ve noticed that the sport steering on the s650 feels numb compared the s550. On the s550 the sport steering had a lot more resistance which I liked. Does anyone else feel the same way or is there something potentially wrong with my car. Any comments would be appreciated! Thank you
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I've read a few complaints online. Do you have the steering in 'Sport' mode?

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
I would agree. Performance Pack or not, even in Sport mode it definitely feels lighter, very noticeably so. However, I feel more confident coming out of turns in general with the S650 GTs than the S550 EcoBoost I currently have. At least from my perspective, the steering input feels more dialed in/accurate anyways.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
I would agree. Performance Pack or not, even in Sport mode it definitely feels lighter, very noticeably so. However, I feel more confident coming out of turns in general with the S650 GTs than the S550 EcoBoost I currently have. At least from my perspective, the steering input feels more dialed in/accurate anyways.
Glad to know it’s not just me. You’re right about the car feeling dialed. No complaints was just curious. Thanks for the reply!

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I put steeda progressive lowering springs and cradle bushings/ locators…

changed steering handling dynamics quite abit on my base car 🤷‍♂️

maybe you’ll want to start modifying some things… just an idea.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
Glad to know it’s not just me. You’re right about the car feeling dialed. No complaints was just curious. Thanks for the reply!
I'm glad I could be helpful, even if just a little bit. I won't lie though, the dialed in feeling on the S650 paired with the S550's heavier steering wheel feel would be ideal! (Maybe, can't say for certain.)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I had a 15 GT PP and a a 20 GT350, also rented a new base EB S650 for just shy of a week not long ago. If I had to summarize the characteristics:

15 GT PP
- pros: very few; since feedback was nonexistent, it was laidback to operate at city speeds
- cons: the weighting felt super gummy and artificially heavy, on center lacked accuracy, mid-corner lacked intuitive linearity requiring constant mid corner adjustments even at basic cruising speeds, made highway driving a chore and you could never "tune out" if you wanted to maintain a laser accurate line mid curve
- overall: 4/10 for pushing, 5/10 for dailying

20 GT350
- pros: peak weighting was much lighter mode-for-mode vs the GT and way more natural in its ramp up, actually had some level of decent feedback from bumps, deflections, weight transfer, and scrub; on-center accuracy was much tighter but not ideal, but in combination with the feedback and weighting, at least you could easily stay locked to the center of a lane with one hand without having to focus much
- cons: still had a slow ratio; tramlining was a real nuisance, layer in said feedback on top and it was fatiguing on days where you were under the weather
- overall: 9/10 for pushing, 7/10 for dailying

24 EB Base
- pros: most accurate on-center, ratio is faster than S550's by just enough to be noticed and appreciated; resistance is lighter, but coupled with the improved accuracy and ratio, it's the least fussy to cruise in
- cons: yes, the steering is much lighter, but the issue is the lack of linearity in its build up (almost the same issue that the S550 GT had, just with less weight involved); it doesn't transmit any sensation of road surface, weight transfer, or increased turning lock; the steering weight change in the different modes is literally imperceptible, so you have a reduced range of configurability
- overall: 6/10 for pushing, 9/10 for dailying

The S650's steering feels like 90% of the EPAS racks fitted to other cars being produced these days. "Tight" inputs, featherweight resistance, easy to guide, dampened to create the sensation of refinement. It's just extremely generic, modern steering. Nothing to write home about.

But the steering was my least favorite aspect in that 15 GT, nothing redeeming, kept it in comfort mode because that was the least "fake" resistance level and sport mode should've been relabeled to "try hard" mode. The S650's steering is the lesser of two evils if I had to choose. It would be an annoyance on a track, but if you had to live with one on a road car, it's the better setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium

Getting my progressives in a week 😎 Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
I had a 15 GT PP and a a 20 GT350, also rented a new base EB S650 for just shy of a week not long ago. If I had to summarize the characteristics:

15 GT PP
- pros: very few; since feedback was nonexistent, it was laidback to operate at city speeds
- cons: the weighting felt super gummy and artificially heavy, on center lacked accuracy, mid-corner lacked intuitive linearity requiring constant mid corner adjustments even at basic cruising speeds, made highway driving a chore and you could never "tune out" if you wanted to maintain a laser accurate line mid curve
- overall: 4/10 for pushing, 5/10 for dailying

20 GT350
- pros: peak weighting was much lighter mode-for-mode vs the GT and way more natural in its ramp up, actually had some level of decent feedback from bumps, deflections, weight transfer, and scrub; on-center accuracy was much tighter but not ideal, but in combination with the feedback and weighting, at least you could easily stay locked to the center of a lane with one hand without having to focus much
- cons: still had a slow ratio; tramlining was a real nuisance, layer in said feedback on top and it was fatiguing on days where you were under the weather
- overall: 9/10 for pushing, 7/10 for dailying

24 EB Base
- pros: most accurate on-center, ratio is faster than S550's by just enough to be noticed and appreciated; resistance is lighter, but coupled with the improved accuracy and ratio, it's the least fussy to cruise in
- cons: yes, the steering is much lighter, but the issue is the lack of linearity in its build up (almost the same issue that the S550 GT had, just with less weight involved); it doesn't transmit any sensation of road surface, weight transfer, or increased turning lock; the steering weight change in the different modes is literally imperceptible, so you have a reduced range of configurability

The S650's steering feels like 90% of the EPAS racks fitted to other cars being produced these days. "Tight" inputs, featherweight resistance, easy to guide, dampened to create the sensation of refinement. It's just extremely generic, modern steering. Nothing to write home about.

But the steering was my least favorite aspect in that 15 GT, nothing redeeming, kept it in comfort mode because that was the least "fake" resistance level and sport mode should've been relabeled to "try hard" mode. The S650's steering is the lesser of two evils if I had to choose. It would be an annoyance on a track, but if you had to live with one on a road car, it's the better setup.
Yeah I see what you’re saying. No complaints with the car was just curious if anyone felt the same way. Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it!

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)

Ah, I just saw this and wanted to ask you how the ride quality is compared to stock. Thanks for potentially saving me from creating a new thread! 😁

DrkHrs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I also find an alignment improves steering feel/response- these cars love negative camber. Agree that the S650 feels a bit lighter in the steering but more confidence inspiring out of corners. Turn-in feels accurate as well.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
24 EB Base

If that's generic, color me impressed then! Considering 99% of my driving is "daily driving", I'll take better steering accuracy in exchange for lighter steering weight. But yeah, a heavier steering feel would be appreciated for the S650.

By the way, in the unlikely chance I upgrade to an Eco Premium instead of a GT/Premium, I read either here or in C&D/MT/R&T that there's a noticeable drone in the S650 Ecoboosts now. Did you experience any of that during your rental period?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I recently bought my s650 performance pack after owning 2 s550’s performance packs. I’ve noticed that the sport steering on the s650 feels numb compared the s550. On the s550 the sport steering had a lot more resistance which I liked. Does anyone else feel the same way or is there something potentially wrong with my car. Any comments would be appreciated! Thank you

I think a lot of this is the PZero's on the PP. My 2020 GT PP1 car came with the Mich PS4S and even though the steering wasn't that great on the 2020 I felt it was better than the S650 PP1 car I drove. That being said, so many things can affect steering feel. Tires being a major one.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
If that's generic, color me impressed then! Considering 99% of my driving is "daily driving", I'll take better steering accuracy in exchange for lighter steering weight. But yeah, a heavier steering feel would be appreciated for the S650.

By the way, in the unlikely chance I upgrade to an Eco Premium instead of a GT/Premium, I read either here or in C&D/MT/R&T that there's a noticeable drone in the S650 Ecoboosts now. Did you experience any of that during your rental period?
It's not a bad thing! Steering accuracy has always been a weak point for Mustangs, so having that for a change is nice. And I only use the word generic in the sense that so many cars fit the bill I gave for the EB's description (current Hondas, Fords, VW/Audis, BMWs, etc). One-handed cruising on the highway is so much easier and effortlessly placing the car where you want while normally driving is a benefit that can be appreciated all of the time. It's really only a con when you want to hustle these things, once you start pushing beyond 7-8/10ths, which is where most EPAS racks show weakness. Things kind of flip flop at that point, when you want to steer with the throttle and brake and you're more relying on the steering for communication. You really only get that confidence from "chatty" steering, but that's a total rarity these days anyway, so it would be unfair to expect as much out of the S650.

What Dave said about tires is definitely another key point; they play a surprisingly big role in getting additional feel in many cases, especially in my case where I drove a bog standard EB with whatever tall-walled A/S rubber it was wearing.

I wouldn't say it droned, but there was definitely a constant thrumming in the cabin particularly at highway speeds. Not like drone though, which is that obnoxious resonance that feels like someone's pressing a bass speaker up against your skull.
Sponsored