• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Steeda short throw shifter - anyone install yet?

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Has anyone put one in yet? I went down the wormhole the other night and talked myself into ordering one along with the 35 pound clutch spring. I'm planning on installing it myself, doesn't look too overly complicated, just time consuming. If anyone has, would love to know your thoughts... Thanks!

This is for just the short throw shifter, part # 555-7316, not the Tri-Ax race shifter
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ohhh i'll follow this... I hate how it has to be installed, but i'd rather do it myself than trust a garage to do this...

OP
OP
Magic88

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Ohhh i'll follow this... I hate how it has to be installed, but i'd rather do it myself than trust a garage to do this...
Just warning everyone now, do not ask for an install video. If I did that, it would be about 6 hours long and full of cuss words. I'm slow as hell making sure I follow directions to a "T", and talk to myself frequently

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Just warning everyone now, do not ask for an install video. If I did that, it would be about 6 hours long and full of cuss words. I'm slow as hell making sure I follow directions to a "T", and talk to myself frequently
But those are the best kind 👍🏻

Nace.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Gt PP, 2021 Explorer
I just did the spring in a parking lot at a car show the other weekend with a pair of small vice grips. It's really a no brainer once you get down there and press the peddle a few times you see its actually really easy to do. I have not dove into the shifter yet, but plan to install a new shift boot tomorrow. If you'd like I can make a video to disassemble that much to get you started.

Edit: the really small ones with the long nose

OP
OP
Magic88

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I just did the spring in a parking lot at a car show the other weekend with a pair of small vice grips. It's really a no brainer once you get down there and press the peddle a few times you see its actually really easy to do. I have not dove into the shifter yet, but plan to install a new shift boot tomorrow. If you'd like I can make a video to disassemble that much to get you started.

You're a scholar and a gentleman! I"m ok if you don't, that part I'm not super concerned about, it's under the car that's got me a little nervous. I'm planning on attempting it tomorrow or Saturday, waiting on the 72" race ramps that I ordered to arrive. I always get myself all worked up that it's going to be too hard to do, and then it ends up being pretty easy. I thank my worry wart mother for that quality instilled in me.

Nace.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem! Glad to contribute. I watched a few videos, at first glance the shifter install does look a little intimidating.

OP
OP
Magic88

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
No problem! Glad to contribute. I watched a few videos, at first glance the shifter install does look a little intimidating.
yes, I've watched them all, I'll have the instructions with me, youtube videos cue'd up, and roadside assistance phone number waiting to be dialed once I can't get it back together 😂

Nace.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do the same, I work at a dealer so I just let the techs know it might come in on a truck tomorrow 😬

OP
OP
Magic88

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Did your steeda spring look like this? Top is factory, bottom is steeda. I did not attempt to put it in since it doesn't sit correct. Contacted steeda and sent them these photos. I've got to say, driving without that 135 lb spring does make a difference, and for the better. Engages sooner I feel
S650 Mustang Steeda short throw shifter - anyone install yet? 20240503_122743
S650 Mustang Steeda short throw shifter - anyone install yet? 20240503_122810

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
Just warning everyone now, do not ask for an install video. If I did that, it would be about 6 hours long and full of cuss words.
Same technique I learned at the High Speed DIY Mechanic University! Though my favorite course was "Throwing Tools" 100! :wink:

OP
OP
Magic88

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Same technique I learned at the High Speed DIY Mechanic University! Though my favorite course was "Throwing Tools" 100! :wink:
I'm dead in the water, my race ramps weren't tall enough for me to fit under it to get the transmission. Called our best tech at the dealership and he's going to put it in for me. Best $160.00 I'm probably going to spend, haha

Nace.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did your steeda spring look like this? Top is factory, bottom is steeda. I did not attempt to put it in since it doesn't sit correct. Contacted steeda and sent them these photos. I've got to say, driving without that 135 lb spring does make a difference, and for the better. Engages sooner I feel
20240503_122743.jpg
20240503_122810.jpg
Yes but it’s compresses easier than the previous one. It’ll all be kosher when she’s in there.

OP
OP
Magic88

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Yes but it’s compresses easier than the previous one. It’ll all be kosher when she’s in there.
And not concerned about it flipping out with it not sitting around the tabs on top and bottom mounts? I don't even know how you'd hook it in since it won't keep top or bottom locked in place. This is their instruction sheet, sits in place like the factory one does...
S650 Mustang Steeda short throw shifter - anyone install yet? Screenshot_20240504_133815_Drive
Sponsored