• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Someone please explain steering modes

Tafische

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Ok - this is probably a stupid question but can someone explain in laymen’s terms what I should be feeling with the different steering modes and why I would want to choose them? Maybe it is me, but I really can’t tell much difference yet in the modes. I think if I understood them more it might make more sense?
Sponsored

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
It's pretty much just levels of resistance with "comfort" being the lightest. You are right though, the difference between them isn't very much.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I believe it's how much turn of the steering equates to how much turn of the wheels.
So different steering modes equals different steering input ratios

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I haven't played with the steering setting but I have driven many including ones without power steering. Without power steering it's hard to turn the wheel when you're not moving or moving slow but once you're moving at a reasonable speed you don't really need power steering. There still is resistance but it's not much. Some of the cars with power steering had so much boost that they required almost no effort no matter what speed you were moving. Others offered some resistance no matter what speed you were moving. Properly set up, power steering should add boost when the force required to turn the wheel is over a certain amount. This allows you feel of the road at driving speeds but help when you're moving slow.
I would expect the adjustment to control the amount of force required to trigger the assistance so it might not make much difference at road speeds but it would probably be more noticeable at slow speeds.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I haven't played with the steering setting but I have driven many including ones without power steering. Without power steering it's hard to turn the wheel when you're not moving or moving slow but once you're moving at a reasonable speed you don't really need power steering. There still is resistance but it's not much. Some of the cars with power steering had so much boost that they required almost no effort no matter what speed you were moving. Others offered some resistance no matter what speed you were moving. Properly set up, power steering should add boost when the force required to turn the wheel is over a certain amount. This allows you feel of the road at driving speeds but help when you're moving slow.
I would expect the adjustment to control the amount of force required to trigger the assistance so it might not make much difference at road speeds but it would probably be more noticeable at slow speeds.
springboard. Those days we had a belt, pump, and fluid.

Is it safe to assume that electric power steering isn’t using fluid and pumps and belts but is able to dynamically adjust ‘stiffness’ (ratio stays the same) depending upon selected drive mode?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘… Likely causes of such a fault are steering rack overtemperature or the battery voltage being out of range.’

friggin battery… aarrggh (just in general - kinda prefer when the battery didn’t rule all and could be removed once started)

any info regarding the different mustang drive modes?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Attached is a logical representation showing the different module and sensor interactions occurring while driving, regardless of mode. I'm showing just to give an idea how complex any modern car is. If for some reason EPAS encounters significant difficulties, there's a limp mode.

Regarding Forscan, there's what you can read and what you can change.

Readings can confirm fault codes, voltage inputs, sensor activity, steering wheel position, etc.

Changes can be on the order of disabling or enabling certain parameters within the different modes. Internet, anonymous people offering guidance, changing the steering parameters on my car. :facepalm: While everyone is encouraged to follow their passions, I'd recommend not making any changes to your electronic steering systems. :giggle:

Attachments

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Attached is a logical representation showing the different module and sensor interactions occurring while driving, regardless of mode. I'm showing just to give an idea how complex any modern car is. If for some reason EPAS encounters significant difficulties, there's a limp mode.

Regarding Forscan, there's what you can read and what you can change.

Readings can confirm fault codes, voltage inputs, sensor activity, steering wheel position, etc.

Changes can be on the order of disabling or enabling certain parameters within the different modes. Internet, anonymous people offering guidance, changing the steering parameters on my car. :facepalm: While everyone is encouraged to follow their passions, I'd recommend not making any changes to your electronic steering systems. :giggle:
Sorry was looking for the cliff notes.. thx.

edit: kinda like -

normal mode: light and floaty?
Sport: tighter and grippy but still loose?
Track: stiff and grip?
Custom: ????

Last edited:

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
This is great info! Thank you @Skye. It also gives me hope that an update can improve steering feel somewhat.

My own experience is that the modes felt more different in the s550 than in the s650, very noticeably. They do feel a little different in the new car, but not much. It doesn't bother me really, but it would just be interesting to see how far they could take the capability of EPAS. Also...seems unlikely they'll want to put a whole lot more research into changes and updates to that system now for this already-in-production car.
Sponsored