• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Software Update Mechanism?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
OTA updates don't require a personal subscription to a cellular company - if the setting is enabled Ford will push out updates as needed/requested and will be downloaded via cellular network either as you drive or when you shut your car off/at a scheduled time (depending on what module(s) are to be updated). In-vehicle hotspots do require a personal cellular plan though. As far as I know wifi Sync updates via your own house internet is obsolete with Sync 4, as well as customer USB Sync updates (to my knowledge) - neither system will use your phone for module updates either.
My car synced up with my home network so far, I don't know of any updates. An internet connection is an internet connection whether it come off fiber, twisted pair or the cell network. TCP/IP is the heart of every data packet. There might be other layers but nothing moves on the internet without TCP/IP and that means your car must understand so there is not reason it can't use a home network.
Disclaimer: I worked with a company that produced a device that interfaced to the internet. We couldn't use code developed for other devices so our internet connection was completely developed in house. Naturally, when it didn't work, I was given the fun job of tracking down and fixing the problems. So should you be curious about TCP/IP and internet protocol layering, I can provide an explanation.
Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
My car synced up with my home network so far, I don't know of any updates. An internet connection is an internet connection whether it come off fiber, twisted pair or the cell network. TCP/IP is the heart of every data packet. There might be other layers but nothing moves on the internet without TCP/IP and that means your car must understand so there is not reason it can't use a home network.
Disclaimer: I worked with a company that produced a device that interfaced to the internet. We couldn't use code developed for other devices so our internet connection was completely developed in house. Naturally, when it didn't work, I was given the fun job of tracking down and fixing the problems. So should you be curious about TCP/IP and internet protocol layering, I can provide an explanation.
I'd love an explanation! Always curious about the deeper workings of software/networking/etc.

I don't have that much hands-on with Sync 4 (I don't roam through everyone's center screen stuff unless I have to - which is rare since Sync 4 is pretty robust), so that's good that you can still use in-home wifi for updates.