• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Smoke from engine after long drive

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
After a long drive with around ~1400 miles on my GT Premium PP I smelled something like burning rubber. Not real strong, but definitely noticeable. I popped the hood and saw this smoke coming up from the left side of the engine. Anyone know what this is?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
UPDATE: I just got a voicemail from the dealer that has my car. They said they figured it out, but Iā€™m not sure exactly which part they are replacing. The voicemail said, ā€œitā€™s the spark plug tube that goes in, and theres a seal in there, and for some reason the seal didnā€™t get all the way on to the tube there so part is on order and should get here early next weekā€.
Anybody know which seal theyā€™re talking about?
Edit: just researched a little, and I assume they mean the seals between the heads and valve covers in the spark plug tubes got mangled during engine assembly. I guess this is fairly common on coyote crate motors and new cars.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hat-causes-this-no-check-engine-light.188690/

Maybe not the exact same parts, but same issue. The seals are part of the valve cover assembly.

Edit: updated with what I believe is a better link.
Yup. That sounds right. Do you know if this is caused by assembly error? It sounds like this was happening a lot in past model years because Ford wasnā€™t using enough valve cover fasteners. I would think they would have fixed the issues with the s650.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
There's a few issues I'm aware of. Someone with direct experience might offer better detail.

One problem area is the composite valve cover itself. In the lab or on the dyno, they could be great. But in an actual operating environment, they can warp from heat cycles over time.

Under hood, things are plenty dense. The seals around the plugs rest in the cover. If you're too quick during cover installation, one of those seals might be just a bit off.

Finally, how things are tightened down. I'm sure they use a machine that is pre-calibrated, but if one individual is torquing something out of sequence, or tightening on one area more than another it can lead to warping and bad sealing.

OP
OP

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Anyone know if the 2024 GT uses all 14 bolts on each valve cover? Iā€™d look at mine, but wonā€™t have it back until next week.

OP
OP

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Dealer called and said my car is all fixed up. He said it was definitely an assembly issue and the seal was not correctly positioned. I guess the mechanics were surprised it made it 1400 miles like that. I asked if it caused any other damage and he said no. You guys may want to look closely for leaks around your valve covers. Even though my car was leaking a lot of oil, I never saw any on the ground because of the underbody covers.

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Dealer called and said my car is all fixed up. He said it was definitely an assembly issue and the seal was not correctly positioned. I guess the mechanics were surprised it made it 1400 miles like that. I asked if it caused any other damage and he said no. You guys may want to look closely for leaks around your valve covers. Even though my car was leaking a lot of oil, I never saw any on the ground because of the underbody covers.
Thanks for update. Any idea the quantity of oil lost? Did they clean up the underbody covers?

OP
OP

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Thanks for update. Any idea the quantity of oil lost? Did they clean up the underbody covers?
Not sure about the total quantity lost , but I checked the oil level hot right before I took it to the dealer and it was about 3/4 up between the fill and full and I never lost oil pressure. Iā€™ll have to see if they cleaned it all up tomorrow when I pick it up. They said they were going to hand wash the car for me.

Reactions: DCS

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
Do you know if this is caused by assembly error?
Definitely seems like it though it is absolutely uncommon. After being a mechanic 30 years, there's been a couple times when installing spark plug seals where they have moved/shifted during installation.

There's also a chance that particular seal got damaged or was defective from the get-go.
Sponsored