• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shipping the car

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Wow. I thank you for the advise. I am leaning toward driving the 650 miles home with the car. It would 1300 total but I can stop at hotels on both legs. I want do proper heat cycling of the engine, maybe drive an hour and stop for .5 hours a few times. And changing RPM regularly.
Fly out there and drive home. I know lots of buddies who have done this. Some dealerships will even send someone to the airport to pick you up! Last one I recall was a friend of mine from NYC who flew out to the Detroit area with his young son and they enjoyed the drive home in the new Camaro 2SS 1LE together.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Santa Cruz, V-Strom 650
Thank you all. I was up until 0300 researching shippers. I just don't feel good about the whole process. I'm very critical of my cars, so I'm think keeping it I'm hands the whole time is best.

Steadyvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang ecoboost
I had ordered a GT and waited 3 months. BUT it arrived at the dealer damaged. I refused delivery. Search the web and found another one on the lot at a dealer 650 miles away.
I considered renting a car and driving up. Buy it and drive it home. But the weather this week is not looking good and it would also be hard to company in properly.

Has anyone recommendations for a shipping companies and/or any negative experiences with a transport company?

Thanks
I had my Mustang shipped from Virginia to Texas.. I thought about driving it back but changed my mind. The dealer in VA set everything up. I paid $1000 to have it shipped. It arrived at my front door in a week. Once it arrived, I did a walk around for any damages (didn't find any) signed for the car and all was well!

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you did not have any issues. It probably like problems here with S650s. We only hear about the bad ones.
I am getting quotes around $1k for enclosed. I am just so particularly about my vehicle.
I can save about $700 by driving it home.
I have repair kit for the holes in the wheel well but I will just duct tape them until I can do it right.
Shipping would make that easier.
Thanks for your imput.

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
I've shipped cars and motorcycles all over the country and by doing due diiligence researching and questioning the carriers, I've never had an issue. I used Shaunessey Express to ship my mustang from Jasper Alabama to Jupiter FL. Cost me around $1300 in an enclosed trailer, yes expensive, but I felt it was worth it because they don't sub out work. They delivered my car in one day.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I would fly in and drive home. If you've got to wait a few extra days (or even a week or more), I'd do it. I'd hate to "hire" a shipping company only to have them farm it out to some yahoo hot shotter who jacks up your car. When my boat was totaled last fall, the insurance company told me they would arrange for pickup. The company they contracted it out to actually farmed it out to a second company, and that second company farmed it out to a third company. The clowns that showed up looked like Cletus T. Judd with a raggedy truck, and they had to rent a trailer to pull it on because (a) they didn't own a pontoon trailer and (b) only the boat was totaled, not the trailer -- it was capsized by 100 mph winds while in the water.
You can’t trust anyone anymore.
Sad but true.
Everyone is an EXPERT?

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, true

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Didn't read all the replies but to me, something doesn't add up.

You refused one that you found damage on, in person, and you're willing to buy one without having laid eyes on it yourself... I wouldn't...

I would fly out there and see it first and if it's fine drive it home, if not fine, fly back home.

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ordered one was not acceptable. End of story. I found one that fits, 650 miles away. I was only weighing the 2 options, but as it is now, I'm driving to the dealer in a rental. Checking out the car, if ok, I pay them in full and drive the Mustang home. I have to get a some flex seal for the stupid holes in the wheel wells. I have the DYI kit in the garage. If I had gone with shipping, the sales rep would make a detailed and close up video. If the car is good then the shipper gets it and takes many pictures.
But as stands I must see the car in person, leaving for the 11 hour drive Thursday morning.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
But as stands I must see the car in person, leaving for the 11 hour drive Thursday morning.
take the BlueRidge and similar all the way back. And take breaks and not try to do it all at once. I did DC to Biloxy in one stint, no stops, and that was dumb. There was lots of stuff I missed because I didn't pull over and smell the roses. Its the journey that matters.

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did SFO to CLE in 27 hours. That was a little dangerous. On the way back I plan no freeways so I can break in the Coyote properly. Also stopping regularly to get heat cycles on it also.
I will try to get to the Blue ridge.
Thanks

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I did SFO to CLE in 27 hours. That was a little dangerous. On the way back I plan no freeways so I can break in the Coyote properly. Also stopping regularly to get heat cycles on it also.
I will try to get to the Blue ridge.
Thanks
Stay safe and have a great trip, @Gr8ful

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks very much roadpilot

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
take some pics along the way to share with us.
Maybe you already said but what color and specs did you go with?

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
After watching a couple of episodes of "Shipping Wars " on the TV I would be leery of shipping a cast iron cannon ball because with my luck it would get damaged for sure. I agree with the others, fly wherever you need to and drive back. I would also document various Ford dealers along your route in case you need assistance. The other thing you can try is is to present your perspective dealer's price to your local Ford dealer, make sure to include your airfare and minor expenses, and see if they will meet or beat it. Doesn't hurt to ask! Best wishes!
Sponsored