• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Mustang Design Sketches, Proposals, Modeling (Exterior + Interior)

(scottymac)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang V-6; '82 Mustang GT; '76 Mercury Capri
You guys are a styling generation behind. Hate the sharp angles on the taillight panel and spoiler. McClaren and Lamborghini are finally ridding themselves of the folds, creases, swoops, and angles. Let the car flow!

(scottymac)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang V-6; '82 Mustang GT; '76 Mercury Capri
And please get rid of that fender emblem! Looks like a drunken, cross-eyed mule!

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I was right about leaking Aiden Lee being lead exterior designer on this. Looks like the final design is about 2 years old, which is par for lead time, but excessive for a reworked car.

I don't see why it requires 3 years to still go from final body approval to showrooms.

I had mentioned S650 design was just about done roughly 2 years ago and these sketches prove it.

The rear end definitely is different from the brief WA glimpse I got in 2020. Cost cutting in effect, as those S550 taillights were too exotic and expensive to expand upon. Easier to simplify the manufacturing process and make them more 2D...

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I was right about leaking Aiden Lee being lead exterior designer on this. Looks like the final design is about 2 years old, which is par for lead time, but excessive for a reworked car.

I don't see why it requires 3 years to still go from final body approval to showrooms.

I had mentioned S650 design was just about done roughly 2 years ago and these sketches prove it.

The rear end definitely is different from the brief WA glimpse I got in 2020. Cost cutting in effect, as those S550 taillights were too exotic and expensive to expand upon. Easier to simplify the manufacturing process and make them more 2D...
I feel like Chris Stevens was the lead designer on this car. It seems like most of the sketches are his, including ones which lead to the final design theme. The only sketches from Aiden I saw were on things like the taillights, and final sketches that basically reflected the work Chris was doing.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

More specifically, I saw one sketch of Aiden's that was the taillights only, that green sketch that looks similar to Chris's and looks like it was trying to further develop that theme, and a sketch showing the finished design lined up next to previous gens. By comparison, Chris had dozens of individual sketches and proposals, including ones which flushed out a lot of the elements on the final design. If Aiden got credit as the lead designer, that's bs on ford's part.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Steering wheels..............I do like the design of the production wheel (first pic) but not as much as the other proposal! Not so much the, what look like, haptic "buttons".......I'm talking about the design in terms of the thinner spokes and smaller airbag/boss.

S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Design Sketches, Proposals, Modeling (Exterior + Interior) Steering Wheel 3
S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Design Sketches, Proposals, Modeling (Exterior + Interior) Steering Wheel 1

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 23 Bronco Sp, 12 Boss, 66 V8 Coupe
this.....
somehow it just looks "off". we dont have real world views of it yet so....
but still i think they could have made it better....
S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Design Sketches, Proposals, Modeling (Exterior + Interior) 1664969000928

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This happens more often than not. I would say maybe Chris is the chief designer of the whole S650, whereas maybe Aiden Lee is just the exterior designer or design manager on a junior level.

More specifically, I saw one sketch of Aiden's that was the taillights only, that green sketch that looks similar to Chris's and looks like it was trying to further develop that theme, and a sketch showing the finished design lined up next to previous gens. By comparison, Chris had dozens of individual sketches and proposals, including ones which flushed out a lot of the elements on the final design. If Aiden got credit as the lead designer, that's bs on ford's part.
They make the wording on these positions so interchangeable, my head spins often.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I do believe they have levels to credit on a team project. The exterior proposal likely was Aiden, but the concept for it is possibly Chris.

I remember that someone had chief responsibility for the S550, while Kemal Curic was responsible for the sketch in 2010 and then became in charge (in 2010-2011) of taking it to final approval in 2012. From there he became responsible for managing people below him on different variants as design manager.

I feel like Chris Stevens was the lead designer on this car. It seems like most of the sketches are his, including ones which lead to the final design theme. The only sketches from Aiden I saw were on things like the taillights, and final sketches that basically reflected the work Chris was doing.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Steering wheels..............I do like the design of the production wheel (first pic) but not as much as the other proposal! Not so much the, what look like, haptic "buttons".......I'm talking about the design in terms of the thinner spokes and smaller airbag/boss.

Steering Wheel 3.jpg
Steering Wheel 1.jpg
I think both designs are fine. The problem I have with both ones are the heavy use of the "metal bezels", since Ford again is not using real metal for the interieur. Then just don't create concepts that rely so heavy on that.
Sponsored