• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Aftermarket Sound System

MustangMan72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
To say that the new B&O sound system in the 2024 Mustang GT Premium wasn’t very impressive would be an understatement. I was hoping that Ford stepped it up with all of the new electronic enhancements in the S650 but they did not. This system is basic to say the least and does little to excite you. No DSP and a basic 3 level eq for bass, mids, and highs. It would have been nice to have a separate adjustment for the subwoofer but it does not.

The only positive would be clarity. I did not hear any distortion and/or clipping at any volume. Again, the volume level does little to impress but it’s clear.

Metra, Scosche, PAC Audio, none of the manufactures are making wiring harnesses for the S650 yet. I am sure it won’t be long but as of this post they have nothing. Eventually I would like to replace all of the speakers in the S650 but for now I will just add subs and an amp.

For the most part it’s just like any S550 installation. A few of the trim panels are different but similar enough. One big difference, while not affecting the install, was no more battery box. The new battery is out in the open. See picture below:

S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System VideoCapture_20231004-122819

I tapped into the factory subwoofer wiring for the input into the AudioControl LC2i Pro Line Output Converter. This will provide the desired low frequencies for the subwoofer amp. The factory sub is a dual voice coil sub with what I thought was left and right inputs. After playing around with fading on the screen and testing with a meter, I discovered that both of the voice coils of the factory subwoofer are feed with the same mono input. What does that mean? It means that you only need to tap into one of the pairs and not both. Here are some pictures of the factory subwoofer.

S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 20230926_173934

S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 20230926_174419

S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 20230926_174444

The bass roll off in the factory B&O system starts at volume level 22. You will hear no increase in bass out of the subwoofer after volume level 22. That is where the AccuBASE feature of the AudioControl LC2i Pro Line Output Converter comes into play. It will fill in the subwoofer bass after volume level 22.

I did not reconnect the factory sub. I just bolted it back into the factory spot so that you wouldn’t see the ugly cut outs in the carpet.

I also placed sound deadening material all around the trunk area to avoid any unwanted rattles and improve overall sound quality.

Here is a picture of the install:

S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 20230929_182113

S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 20230929_190212

I wish I would have taken more pictures during the install but at the time I was not thinking about writing a thread. Overall, the install was pretty easy with only a few issues.

Important take aways:
  • You only need to tap into 1 of the leads feeding the factory dual voice coil subwoofer. Tap into the wiring behind the factory plug so that you can actually remove the factory sub box without affecting your connection.
  • Run power and ground just like any S550 install.
  • Bass roll off is at volume level 22 on the B&O system.
  • Despite all the added sound deadening material, the rear deck lid behind the back seat rattled really bad! I had to resort to stuffing the cavity with scrap pieces of felt to stop.
  • The deck lid behind the rear seats is a pain to remove with little room to maneuver. You have to first remove the two side panels between the window and deck lid. The deck lid is slotted and 2 prongs from these panels go into the deck lid. The deck lid also has 3 blue retaining pins holding it to the sheet metal. One left, one right, and one center. Easy enough to access from below but tricky to squeeze and push through. You also need to remove and/or loosen the side panels beside the back seats. This will give you access to remove the seat belt strap from the plastic guides built into the rear deck lid. Once you have all this removed, you can finally slide out the rear deck lid (plastic piece). Be careful when removing the deck lid!!! It will want to catch and snag the wires feeding the rear defroster. I almost pulled mine loose from the window. You can actually remove the wires from the terminals on the window first if needed.

Here is a list of the material used in the install:

Skar Audio SKv2-1500.1D Amplifier

2 Rockford Fosgate P3D2-12 Subwoofers

AudioControl LC2i Pro Line Output Converter w/ Remote

Stinger SSCap2M 2 Farad Digital Capacitor

Stinger SPD512 PRO Series Power Distribution T-Block

Stinger 1/0 Gauge Amp Kit (SK4201)

Dynamat sound deadening material

XS Power D4700 Battery
Sponsored

pmilk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Eco Boost Premium Convertible
MUSTANGMAN72,
thanks for the excellent detail of your upgrade to the B&O. As good as your explanation is, I'm still nervous about my future attempt to improve the sound. The B&O was one of the main reasons we ordered our Mustang with that package...it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll be curious to hear how it sounds and I'll probably be back to reference your remarks. ...thanks again. pmilk

OP
OP
MustangMan72

MustangMan72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
MUSTANGMAN72,
thanks for the excellent detail of your upgrade to the B&O. As good as your explanation is, I'm still nervous about my future attempt to improve the sound. The B&O was one of the main reasons we ordered our Mustang with that package...it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll be curious to hear how it sounds and I'll probably be back to reference your remarks. ...thanks again. pmilk
Didn't mean to discourage you! I have always been into audio and just expected more out of Ford on this new radicle technology upgrade. You may be perfectly happy with the B&O just the way it is. Let's hope so!

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I plan on just doing a speaker swap. I was pretty unimpressed with the B&O as well, though it's gotten a little better with break-in. Still though, it has paper cones and small magnets.

jaykoolzboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lightning ER, Hyundai Kona EV, BMW iX 50
The standard B & O system on Lightning, Mach E and now S650 Stang should be in litigation by using B&O 's name. It's misleading marekting to have buyers think they are getting the same B & O for BMW and Audi. It's just not that good . The unleashed system on lightning and ICE F150 is semi-decent , but it's not an option for any Mustangs. Aftermarket is the only way to go.

DCBuckeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
Well, as sorry as I am to hear the B&O system is disappointing, I'm glad to read it as I opted against ordering that package and now feel better about the decision. Thanks for posting this walkthrough. Maybe someone will do something similar for the 9-speaker (because if the B&O is disappointing, I'm sure the 9-speaker will be, too).

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Audio is super subjective. Some users here said it the B&O sounds great.

Some of the bass thumpers are going to say it sounds terrible.

Gotta hear it yourself and form your own an opinion.

jaykoolzboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lightning ER, Hyundai Kona EV, BMW iX 50
Audio is super subjective. Some users here said it the B&O sounds great.

Some of the bass thumpers are going to say it sounds terrible.

Gotta hear it yourself and form your own an opinion.
I think most buyers are dissapointed with B & O nameplate that Ford is very high on the marketing side (myself included on the similar system on F150 Lightning Lariat ER) , no bass, no highs , no lows, just pure mediocre sound . If it's advertised as Ford Premium or Ford Hi-Fi , things will probably be a bit different . But Ford keeps advertise it as premium B & O (very respectable name among audiophiles).

IMO they shouldve just use the unleashed system (minus some speakers) on the upgraded trim and leave B & O 12 speakers system as standard for all the GT Premium.

Best analogy would be old Maserati keeps advertising their engine as "Ferrari Made or Ferrari inspired" , but anyone who had experiences with real Ferrari engine would understand this is borderline false advertising.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MustangMan72

MustangMan72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I think most buyers are dissapointed with B & O nameplate that Ford is very high on the marketing side (myself included on the similar system on F150 Lightning Lariat ER) , no bass, no highs , no lows, just pure mediocre sound . If it's advertised as Ford Premium or Ford Hi-Fi , things will probably be a bit different . But Ford keeps advertise it as premium B & O (very respectable name among audiophiles).

IMO they shouldve just use the unleashed system (minus some speakers) on the upgraded trim and leave B & O 12 speakers system as standard for all the GT Premium.
I totally agree. If Ford did not advertise the B&O as a high end audio system option their wouldn't be an issue. It's false advertising! When I was younger, I competed on a national level with IASCA. I have seen and heard the best of the best. The B&O sound system in the 2024 Mustang is about a 3 on a 10 point scale.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Best way to describe the B&O is.....

If you are not an audiophile, then it will be good enough for you. Maybe even impress you.

If you are, or just like LOUD music and bass, in general, it will not satisfy you.

As mentioned, it is clear and crisp if you will, but just doesn't have the volume or punch needed.

I have a Skar Audio EVL 12 D2 in a custom birch box, Skar Audio 1500.1M and Audio Control LC7i that I will likely be adding to mine. For now, the rest of the B&O will suffice. My only qualm is, I do not want to really put that very heavy sub and enclosure in the trunk, and boat anchor the car LOL. I was looking at the JL Stealth box option. Not sure if that will hit hard enough for my tastes.

Nice install to the OP

Last edited:

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The B&O is not bad. Way better than the B&O I had in my F150. I don't plan to upgrade it as I never do in my Mustangs.

Nav TV is another option for an audio interface to look for if they make one for the Mustang.

I haven't seen anyone use a cap in a very long time.

OP
OP
MustangMan72

MustangMan72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Best way to describe the B&O is.....

If you are not an audiophile, then it will be good enough for you. Maybe even impress you.

If you are, or just like LOUD music and bass, in general, it will not satisfy you.

As mentioned, it is clear and crisp if you will, but just doesn't have the volume or punch needed.

I have a Skar Audio EVL 12 D2 in a custom birch box, Skar Audio 1500.1M and Audio Control LC7i that I will likely be adding to mine. For now, the rest of the B&O will suffice. My only qualm is, I do not want to really put that very heavy sub and enclosure in the trunk, and boat anchor the car LOL. I was looking at the JL Stealth box option. Not sure if that will hit hard enough for my tastes.

Nice install to the OP
Thanks man! I agree, the sub box and equipment adds a lot of weight and takes up a lot of space. I love to go fast and be loud so I compromise!

OP
OP
MustangMan72

MustangMan72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I was wondering what is the color diagram for the speaker wiring?

IMG_0059.jpeg
I have not seen any wiring diagrams for the S650. However, based on what little I have done, it should be similar if not identical to the S550. The wires twisted together in your picture will be the speaker wires.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the S550

Base radio (only shows front speakers):
S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 4-

Premium (including Shaker systems):
Head Unit to Amplifier
S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 5-

Amplifier to Speakers
S650 Mustang S650 Aftermarket Sound System 6-

There is a really good thread on the S550 setup in the Mustang6g forum.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/stereo-information-wiring-upgrades-etc.25501/

Boykin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible; 2015 Mustang Ecoboost
For those who are not stereo connoisseurs (I must not be) and who just want a decent stereo, the B&O has been very acceptable by my wife and me. We have a GT convertible, so there is quite a bit of noise going down the interstate at 70mph with the top down, and you can still clearly hear the music and words along with the bass. I don't know how it compares to the base stereo, and I have never had a high end aftermarket stereo, so maybe I don't know what I am missing. But the B&O is serving me well. But like people have said, you just need to go test drive the cars with different stereos to see if there are good enough for you.
Sponsored