• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rust belt / rust proofing

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
My thought was to keep driving it over the winter occasionally just to keep the fluids moving, the battery charged and avoid flat spots on the tires but I would never take it out in any wet conditions of any kind during any season as I have a beater to daily drive. I also wouldn't take it out during the winter unless we have had at least one good cleansing rain to wash all the chemicals off the road after any snow storm where the roads were treated. After the cleansing rain dries I would pre-drive my beater on any roads I plan on using the Mustang on checking for cinders and other debris. If the road passes my quality check I will drive the Mustang only on those roads and repeat the process if it snows again. That was my plan anyways. Maybe there are some pitfalls to my plan but it seems logical.

Anyone running a dehumidifier in their garage? That is something else I was thinking about doing.
Sponsored

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Just wanted to see if anyone else can chime in on rust proofing their Mustang? I'm in Michigan and will be taking delivery of a Mustang in the month or so. I do plan on using this as a DD but if the weather is really bad I just will stay home or use our other vehicle. That being said, I would like to look into whether rust proofing a Mustang makes sense (especially here in MI). It looks like there are lots of different products and applications available these day and honestly I have no idea what works well? I think we have a lot of felt type material on the undercarriage of our Mustangs so not sure how that plays into the whole rust proofing/undercoating process?

Open to suggestions and looking forward to some dialogue on this issue.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I wouldn't drive it in the winter.

The salt and stuff will eat the wheel finish and other stuff that you're not going to coat with oil or undercoating. The salt spray gets everywhere. When I was younger I stuck snow tires on and drove them year round because I didn't have the money for a second car or a garage to keep them in. I would never buy a brand new one now and drive it all winter.

I remember the WRX guys talking about how they bought their cars because the AWD was great in the snow...You don't see many of them on the road anymore because the body panels rusted out on them. They all start rusting in the same spots. The STI guys were usually smart and didn't take their cars out in the winter.

S650 Mustang Rust belt / rust proofing Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 3.01.59 PM

Also don't forget about how the lower bracing was/is famous for rusting out on the last generation Mustang (this one has obviously never been undercoated or anything). A lot of the stuff like the floorpan is more rust resistant but the last thing I want to fuck around with is rusted ass bolts when modding a car.

S650 Mustang Rust belt / rust proofing s197rust

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Keep in mind my cars have been in Arizona or southern California so I can't say I tested what I am saying. My 96 came from the factory with a substance like tar or plastic coating almost the entire underside of the car. The exception is the suspension and drive train parts. After over a quarter of a century, the coating is intact and I suspect is still pretty salt water resistance. If your going to the trouble of undercoating something, make sure it will last a long time
The one advantage of dry climate is my 62 Falcon negligible rust when I finally sold it 20 years latter. If you can't live in a climate like that, you need a coating so durable that your car thinks it is. Yes you might pay more for it but the point of doing it in the first place is to keep the car looking like new.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Also don't forget about how the lower bracing was/is famous for rusting out on the last generation Mustang (this one has obviously never been undercoated or anything). A lot of the stuff like the floorpan is more rust resistant but the last thing I want to fuck around with is rusted ass bolts when modding a car.
If you're working on stuff like that, you should always keep a can or two of Kroil Penetrating Oil around. We have old stuff that has years of abuse and the truck drivers we provide parking for occasionally can't get something apart. It's the best thing I know of when dealing with rusty parts.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I saw in another thread talk of rust due to road salt in the northern states and thought a new thread was best to address this. Question for y'all that live there: Has anyone ever tried NH oil undercoating (NHOU)? What results did you have? Is this something our rust belt members could have applied to their Mustangs to prevent car cancer?
This is your best option hands down. We lived in Indiana for decades and I knew many people who used this stuff. If you get it applied in a new vehicle they will warranty against any rust issues or they use too. I think you had to have an annual inspection or touch up though. It’s been a few years since I did anything with them.
Sponsored