• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Remote Kill Switch for All 2026MY+ cars?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I admit that I have not read the majority of the new infrastructure bill, and so I can't point to where there is reference to this kill switch. However, if what the below video is suggesting is true, I smell depressing times ahead. I'd rather have a particulate filter than a damn kill switch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I genuinely hope this provision is repealed or delayed, because that would suck major cohones for any 2026+ sports car.

Last edited:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I think most people don't realize what a carmaker can actually access on your car from the distance. My mother locked herself out of her then new BMW on vacation a few years ago. After a call with BMW where they verified that she is the owner they unlocked the car from their central. I wouldn't be surprised if technically they could already turn off your engine.

I wouldn't go full tinfoil hat mode yet. There is no valid information who will access what, what would exactly decide which cars should be switched off, etc. As long as it is only connected to a breathanalyser, who cares? I have no pity for ******* who think it's fine to drive under influence.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
We are headed towards people only being allowed to drive when their political party is in power.
There's something I disagree with there, but I think it gets into politics. I believe I can say that us retaining our driving priviledges is more in question now than it's been in the past.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
There's something I disagree with there, but I think it gets into politics. I believe I can say that us retaining our driving priviledges is more in question now than it's been in the past.
But I'm not "driving," I'm "traveling." 🤪

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
GM's onstar has had this for decades.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
obligatory "what do you have to fear/hide if you're not breaking the law"?

Onstar is a wire snip or fuse away from killing. The telematics in Ford is fuse #14. With this reg it'll probably be designed as a module buried in the frame with a dead-man switch mode that if it's missing or can't negotiate with the ECU the ECU won't run the engine. I foresee a market for emulators and ECU hacks to disable the handshake. The proper answer to this legislative "mandate" I can't type on a public forum...
Sponsored