• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Predictions thread

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
AWD/hybrid options. (Ford Authority is the only source saying this is confirmed off the table for S650.)

Sedan/sportback body style. This one is more of a personal wish of mine. I've only heard about this being a possibility once and that was a few years ago. (At this point I'm more curious about a proper coupe or notchback body style, the latter would seem wild for me to imagine becoming a reality. But making additional coupe styles seems more feasible than a sedan/sportback at this point. Of course I'd love to be proven wrong with this point on September 14th.)

Engine options. I-4 Turbo and the 5.0 Coyote are the only confirmed ones so far. But I feel like I've heard or discussed a 6.8 or 7.3 V8 at some point as pure speculation.

These are what I remember reading here or on other hopefully reputable sites.

(Maybe one day we'll get a Mustang that's fueled by unicorn power that isn't literal waste. 😏 Whether it's better than ICE though...who knows?)

I think the 7.3 will make an appearance as well. Many on here (and elsewhere) have doubted that the 7.3 would make it to S650, much less that it would be used for a GT350 successor. I disagree. Just because it wouldn't be as high-revving as the glorious Voodoo doesn't mean that Ford won't make it happen, or that it would make it any less of a worthy GT350 successor. You can still likely de-stroke to 6.8L or 7L flat and still rev out to at least 7K, if not 7500 rpm (LS7 style, baby).

So, I predict a Godzilla based GT350, and a Predator GT500 with hybridization. Or, in the alternative of a GT350, a more hi-po Mach 1 with a Godzilla motor.

I don't care much for the lower trims, so I'll refrain from making any predictions in that regard.
Sponsored

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
AWD/hybrid options. (Ford Authority is the only source saying this is confirmed off the table for S650.)

Sedan/sportback body style. This one is more of a personal wish of mine. I've only heard about this being a possibility once and that was a few years ago. (At this point I'm more curious about a proper coupe or notchback body style, the latter would seem wild for me to imagine becoming a reality. But making additional coupe styles seems more feasible than a sedan/sportback at this point. Of course I'd love to be proven wrong with this point on September 14th.)

Engine options. I-4 Turbo and the 5.0 Coyote are the only confirmed ones so far. But I feel like I've heard or discussed a 6.8 or 7.3 V8 at some point as pure speculation.

These are what I remember reading here or on other hopefully reputable sites.

(Maybe one day we'll get a Mustang that's fueled by unicorn power that isn't literal waste. 😏 Whether it's better than ICE though...who knows?)
The direct injection system of the 2.3L has to be serviced every 50K and the head gasket wears out on the 2.3L easily when its constantly over-rev'd. So why does Ford keep this engine?

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
The direct injection system of the 2.3L has to be serviced every 50K and the head gasket wears out on the 2.3L easily when its constantly over-rev'd. So why does Ford keep this engine?
claimed CAFE. And since when did Ford care about customer ownership costs? You want to point fingers at DISASTEROUS engines, try the 1.5l Ecoboost.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
As to the DI system needing to be serviced, are you referring to the valves requiring cleaning due to DI or the actual DI system itself? This is the first time I'm hearing of any potential issues with the 2.3's DI system. And, if it was an issue, it certainly doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

The head gasket issue was certainly present on earlier iterations of the 2.3, but those issues have since been resolved. It's a pretty solid engine now, probably one of the most reliable in Ford's present inventory. If I were to get a new Explorer, I would probably opt for the 2.3 over the 3.0 TTV6 (which is well known to have issues unfortunately). Ideally, however, the Explorer hybrid is probably the overall most reliable option as it retains the 3.3 V6 from last gen.

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
I think that's wishful thinking considering the Tremec likely costs significantly more per unit than the MT-82. From a business standpoint, it just wouldn't make any sense to go back. It's inferior to the Tremec, but it's not preventing anyone from buying the car. Hope I'm wrong 🤞🏼
It has prevented me from buying one.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
As to the DI system needing to be serviced, are you referring to the valves requiring cleaning due to DI or the actual DI system itself? This is the first time I'm hearing of any potential issues with the 2.3's DI system. And, if it was an issue, it certainly doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

The head gasket issue was certainly present on earlier iterations of the 2.3, but those issues have since been resolved. It's a pretty solid engine now, probably one of the most reliable in Ford's present inventory. If I were to get a new Explorer, I would probably opt for the 2.3 over the 3.0 TTV6 (which is well known to have issues unfortunately). Ideally, however, the Explorer hybrid is probably the overall most reliable option as it retains the 3.3 V6 from last gen.
Wait, is the 3.3 a modified version of the 3.5 duratec from the previous gen then? My family has that engine in their 2017 explorer. Super reliable.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI

What known issues does the 3.0TT V6 have?… asking for a friend…

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also check out "Ford Boss Me" on YouTube.
also haven’t seen any of his videos that were about issues with the 3.0L

Edit: I do remember one about a coolant issue which was due to a sensors or harness or something.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
also haven’t seen any of his videos that were about issues with the 3.0L

Edit: I do remember one about a coolant issue which was due to a sensors or harness or something.
No worries, but the two main issues I recall from the forums are the plastic oil pan leaking (like the 2.7 its based on), and leaking from from axle seals (where the axle meets the ptu).

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries, but the two main issues I recall from the forums are the plastic oil pan leaking (like the 2.7 its based on), and leaking from from axle seals (where the axle meets the ptu).
so ultimately no issues with the engine at all.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't say that. Those are just the most common things I remember reading on that forum. And, to be fair, the oil pan leaks are technically still related to the engine.
agreed about the oil pan, but that isn’t specific to that engine.
Sponsored