• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Older guy with manual

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If you can do stairs you can do the clutch. Just depends, how many flights vs traffic congestion.

‘24 manual has both rev-match and hill hold. Both can be activated/deactivated individually.

just depends on what you are used to and prefer. If you enjoy putting it in ‘d’ for don’t bug me just do it’ or if you relax when you only need to count to six. It just depends.
Sponsored

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I want to order a 2024 with manual, as I know it will be more fun to drive. But, I am 73 and wondering if a manual might become tiresome for me after a while. I will not track drive it at all - just around town to restaurants, stores, etc. Any of you older guys with a manual have an opinion?
I'm 77 and love every second (and 3rd, and 4th, ...).
I do a lot of in town driving so I get the opportunity to shift a lot. The MT82 is fine for my purposes (no tracking or dragging).

flattrkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The only reason I would NOT get a manual would be if my work involved a one hour commute each way in stop and go traffic. I live in a small town, and I’m retired, so I didn’t hesitate to go with a stick shift.
BTW, I’m 85.

Navyeod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Darkhorse
I'm 62 and just bought a 24 Darkhorse w/manual in February. Absolutely love it! But I'm retired and plan my driving around traffic & rush hours. There's a lot of open highways where I live in Utah and really enjoy the connection with the vehicle you get with a manual.

soonermike78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat (for now)
I want to order a 2024 with manual, as I know it will be more fun to drive. But, I am 73 and wondering if a manual might become tiresome for me after a while. I will not track drive it at all - just around town to restaurants, stores, etc. Any of you older guys with a manual have an opinion?
I had a 2009 GT500 and got really tired of the clutch after a while, especially driving in local traffic which is mostly what I did. I sold the car because of it, and have an Auto GT on order now. I am 70 and expect to enjoy the car more with the automatic than I would have with a manual.

OP
OP

Rfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The only reason I would NOT get a manual would be if my work involved a one hour commute each way in stop and go traffic. I live in a small town, and I’m retired, so I didn’t hesitate to go with a stick shift.
BTW, I’m 85.
Good for you at 85. I am 73 1/2 and will most likely get a manual. Started driving in 67 with a 3 on the tree.

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
Get the auto. A younger guy would probably have a knee that will still be good for several years in the future. At 73 you can’t say that.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I got stuck on an on-ramp to a bridge when I got my 2007 Mustang and barely knew how to operate the clutch. It was torture.

Nowadays, getting stuck in traffic does tire you out, especially if you keep having to use the clutch. If you are going downhill for example, crawling in traffic is not an issue. Also the new Mustang has the hill assist standard (you can't even disable it). It definitely is a nice feature for all those who get stuck traffic in San Francisco on one of absurdly steep streets.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
How do you do with stairs?
Excellent point.
I’m 76 and I don’t do stairs very well at all. I’m a little crippled.
I went with the automatic 10 speed
My 1980 Mustang was, I think, a three speed or four speed.
I can’t remember.
You made a very good point.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I got stuck on an on-ramp to a bridge when I got my 2007 Mustang and barely knew how to operate the clutch. It was torture.

Nowadays, getting stuck in traffic does tire you out, especially if you keep having to use the clutch. If you are going downhill for example, crawling in traffic is not an issue. Also the new Mustang has the hill assist standard (you can't even disable it). It definitely is a nice feature for all those who get stuck traffic in San Francisco on one of absurdly steep streets.
For anyone stuck in San Fran, the clutch is the least of your worries. :crackup:

DAS5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse

DAS5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I bought a 2024 Dark Horse with a manual and it took 30 years off my life! Don't wait. Enjoy it before you'll need a left hip replacement....

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Hey, I am 67 and love the 6 speed shifts in my Dark Horse as I had 2003 Mustang Cobra, exactly 20 years ago! Don’t let age stop you from having fun!
Sponsored