• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Damn the 15-17 Stang looks so oudated next to the S650. It is an evolution rather than a revolution, but the S650 looks so refreshing with the new design and details. In 1 or 2 years nobody will hardly remember the S550 hands down.
That's what I think too. They really took the same idea, but make it so much more modern and aggressive looking. Can't wait to see one live
Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
To me, this Ford being like eh, catfish front has to go. Let’s look go back to 15 and go more modern/aggressive. Look at the grill shape, the ducts under the light and you can tell they threw the early S550 into CAD and started tweaking. Thanks for throwing these next to each other, really shows a lot.
And the best I could come up with for a comparison :)

S650 Grabber Blue comparo.jpg
S650 Grabber Blue 2.jpg

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
To me, this Ford being like eh, catfish front has to go. Let’s look go back to 15 and go more modern/aggressive. Look at the grill shape, the ducts under the light and you can tell they threw the early S550 into CAD and started tweaking. Thanks for throwing these next to each other, really shows a lot.
That's what I'm saying lol. You can fanboy it up all you want, but the S650 is painfully obvious as a rework of the original S550 design. It's hilarious how some people keep tryiblng to make this thing out to be more than what it is...it literally reuses inside and outside design elements and parts for crying out loud lol.

It's not a bad thing; and I still might end up with one after a refresh or a special edition hits with me...but it's like, don't be stupid and/or insult my intelligence Ford and Ford fans...this thing is NOT an all new generation on a new platform breaking ground. It's a solid refresh and a revisit of what could have been with the 2018...along with a horrific interior from an iPad fever dream and a huge plastic diaper out back to make the 2010 even look timid lol. Change those two elements and I'd have been that much closer to wanting one.

Last edited:

jmstang66

Performance Media Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Lol...there's reasons why Ford has avoided the 2015-2017 comparison. It really does make the nip/tuck "refresh" reality all the more obvious.
10000% Yes - I agree with you! This is the first real good side by side I've seen with a 15-17 and even after seeing it in person as well, it's still just s550 v3 to me

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I was more pointing out where their changes originated from. At least from the front end. I like the exterior changes. Would have preferred a gauge cluster but iPads aren’t a breaker for me. I also haven’t had a mustang in 4ish years. I think a GT might be a hard sell for anyone who’s put a little money into their S550. I think the S650 will do well with the rest of the customer segments though tbh.

That's what I'm saying lol. You can fanboy it up all you want, but the S650 is painfully obvious as a rework of the original S550 design. It's hilarious how some people keep tryiblng to make this thing out to be more than what it is...it literally reuses inside and outside design elements and parts for crying out loud lol.

It's not a bad thing; and I still might end up with one after a refresh or a special edition hits with me...but it's like, don't be stupid and/or insult my intelligence Ford and Ford fans...this thing is NOT an all new generation on a new platform breaking ground. It's a solid refresh and a revisit of what could have been with the 2018...along with a horrific interior from an iPad fever dream and a huge plastic diaper out back to make the 2010 even look timid lol. Change those two elements and I'd have been that much closer to wanting one.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
10000% Yes - I agree with you! This is the first real good side by side I've seen with a 15-17 and even after seeing it in person as well, it's still just s550 v3 to me
Also have to keep in mind that the two photos are not 100% one to one either and are at different angles/heights of photography...going to be even more similar if/when viewed perfectly in person lol.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
I think the so called catfish front is the best looking front end, but obviously that is up for debate. Nevertheless, I agree that the 650 front end is just a refresh of the 15-17 and an unconsidered bad one at that. They couldn't do a refresh of the 23, even if they wanted to, because it would be way to obvious. Either way, one still needs to open the door, get in and deal with that eye sore dashboard.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
I think the so called catfish front is the best looking front end, but obviously that is up for debate. Nevertheless, I agree that the 650 front end is just a refresh of the 15-17 and an unconsidered bad one at that. They couldn't do a refresh of the 23, even if they wanted to, because it would be way to obvious. Either way, one still needs to open the door, get in and deal with that eye sore dashboard.
It's essentially this below...but yeah, I just hate those big open random lower ducts on the S650 without any foglights or ANYTHING useful being there. It just sort of take something maybe sort of good and cheapens it out. I sort of want to see what the GT looks like if some 69 style splitters/rails were inserted in there to help break it up some.

S650 Mustang Official GRABBER BLUE Mustang S650 Thread -prologue-for-latest-mustang-shelby-gt500-154071_1

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
It's essentially this below...but yeah, I just hate those big open random lower ducts on the S650 without any foglights or ANYTHING useful being there. It just sort of take something maybe sort of good and cheapens it out. I sort of want to see what the GT looks like if some 69 style splitters/rails were inserted in there to help break it up some.
Most are moving away from fog lights anyway it seems. Not many cars have them anymore.

Pretty sure the left side lower "intake" is fake as well on the Ecoboost and GT.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Most are moving away from fog lights anyway it seems. Not many cars have them anymore.

Pretty sure the left side lower "intake" is fake as well on the Ecoboost and GT.
Yup...I just like something there for the sake of filling space. Even decorative lighting; anything would be better than a big ol' fake opening with all that plastic just there. I said 69 earlier, but I think it's the 70 that I was thinking of...do something with that big ol' lower intake like the body colored splitters on the 70 next to the headlights and it'd be far less cheap/plastic looking:

S650 Mustang Official GRABBER BLUE Mustang S650 Thread eke-1970-ford-mustang-boss-302-front-three-quarter

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
New Edge/S197....been there and done that redux PTIII lol. We'll agree to vastly disagree.
You could very easily tell this design apart from the s550 from a few hundred feet away. It's not like the 6th gen Camaro, which literally looked identical to the 5th gen from most angles. The s650 has a drastically different front, rear, and side profile. Sure, does it bear a slight resemblance to the s550? Sure, in the same way the new ev charger looks like the current charger. There are a few similar shapes and proportions, but the surfacing and detailing is radically changed.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Yup...I just like something there for the sake of filling space. Even decorative lighting; anything would be better than a big ol' fake opening with all that plastic just there. I said 69 earlier, but I think it's the 70 that I was thinking of...do something with that big ol' lower intake like the body colored splitters on the 70 next to the headlights and it'd be far less cheap/plastic looking:

eke-1970-ford-mustang-boss-302-front-three-quarter.jpg
Not really connected to what you said, but this is just how my brain works, as the s650 is more '67-70 inspired, I would love to see the Shelby variants with corner vents to the side of the headlights that take inspiration from those split vents. If done right, it could look sick.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Not really connected to what you said, but this is just how my brain works, as the s650 is more '67-70 inspired, I would love to see the Shelby variants with corner vents to the side of the headlights that take inspiration from those split vents. If done right, it could look sick.
Yup...Ford can get my business easily if they make a not so outrageously priced or overly designed(see Dark Horse) S650 special edition of some kind. I'm hoping for a knockout GT350/Mach 1/etc or even just another appearance package that sort of addresses some of what I don't care for. The interior is maybe going to be just a bit too much to overcome though once I sit down in person and really get a feel for all of that. But I would love to see something like the 70 front end.

You could very easily tell this design apart from the s550 from a few hundred feet away. It's not like the 6th gen Camaro, which literally looked identical to the 5th gen from most angles. The s650 has a drastically different front, rear, and side profile. Sure, does it bear a slight resemblance to the s550? Sure, in the same way the new ev charger looks like the current charger. There are a few similar shapes and proportions, but the surfacing and detailing is radically changed.
The irony of the Camaro part lol...the 5th to 6th Gen Camaro was 100% all new with zero borrowed parts or design elements lol, unlike the S550/S650. Also, it's the perfect visual comparison in that Ford very clearly took what it had and just ran with it further...which was Chevy's downfall in clinging to what it saw as successful versus trying something new. Honestly, I have no clue how you can look at those pictures and say they're not connected and are vastly different. The rear even has the same trapezoidal cutout where the license plate goes lol.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Yup...Ford can get my business easily if they make a not so outrageously priced or overly designed(see Dark Horse) S650 special edition of some kind. I'm hoping for a knockout GT350/Mach 1/etc or even just another appearance package that sort of addresses some of what I don't care for. The interior is maybe going to be just a bit too much to overcome though once I sit down in person and really get a feel for all of that. But I would love to see something like the 70 front end.

The irony of the Camaro part lol...the 5th to 6th Gen Camaro was 100% all new with zero borrowed parts or design elements lol, unlike the S550/S650. Also, it's the perfect visual comparison in that Ford very clearly took what it had and just ran with it further...which was Chevy's downfall in clinging to what it saw as successful versus trying something new. Honestly, I have no clue how you can look at those pictures and say they're not connected and are vastly different. The rear even has the same trapezoidal cutout where the license plate goes lol.
Man, 95% of the cars on the road have a trapezoidal license plate character line. Yes, there's sone relation, but the only difference really between the 5th and 6th gen Camaro is the new grille design. On the s650, the rear has a far more extreme indented angle, the taillights are very aggressively angled. They got rid of the black contrasting section, and the flat section of the decklid is a little longer. The sides have more fluid surfacing, with the return of the hockey stick character line. The roofline also drops down at a slightly sharper angle. The front has a radically different appearance as well.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Man, 95% of the cars on the road have a trapezoidal license plate character line. Yes, there's sone relation, but the only difference really between the 5th and 6th gen Camaro is the new grille design. On the s650, the rear has a far more extreme indented angle, the taillights are very aggressively angled. They got rid of the black contrasting section, and the flat section of the decklid is a little longer. The sides have more fluid surfacing, with the return of the hockey stick character line. The roofline also drops down at a slightly sharper angle. The front has a radically different appearance as well.
Nah...the S550/S650 share weight and dimensions down to the milimeter where the Gen 6 Camaro was a lighter/smaller brand new platform with zero in common at all with the Gen 5. Chevy just screwed up in designing it to literally look like the Gen 5 and couldn't leave the whole Bumblebee thing behind lol. I mean...they literally built and AMAZING car but screwed up on sales due to thinking the fans needed more of the same...from #1 to last over that one little decision lol.
Sponsored