• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

octane booster recommendations?

Mljh85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Never used any before, what do people recommend and how often?
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I wouldn’t use octane booster, if you want higher octane go unleaded race gas I suppose.

sunoco 260gt is pretty common for 100 oct, maybe MS109

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I wouldn’t use octane booster, if you want higher octane go unleaded race gas I suppose.

sunoco 260gt is pretty common for 100 oct, maybe MS109
I agree 100%. I used an octane booster when I was in a place where I couldn't get premium gas and it left a reddish deposit all over the combustion chambers and spark plugs. Just go with top tier gas at 91 or 93, whatever is available near you.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
If you're not racing, you shouldn't need it unless the car is marked otherwise. If you're racing, it would need to be added at least one fill up before a race session. It takes time for the computer to determine what fuel it's running and one tank should be enough.
High octane fuel is only needed when your pushing the engine hard and want every last bit of what the engine can offer. Other than that, it's an additional cost without any benefit.

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe GT, 2024 Mustang GT Premium
If you're not racing, you shouldn't need it unless the car is marked otherwise. If you're racing, it would need to be added at least one fill up before a race session. It takes time for the computer to determine what fuel it's running and one tank should be enough.
High octane fuel is only needed when your pushing the engine hard and want every last bit of what the engine can offer. Other than that, it's an additional cost without any benefit.
So would I be able run regular gas in my car if I have too? I'm pumping 91 but it's not available everywhere so can I pump like 87 without causing the engine harm?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
You can use octane boost safely without turning your plugs that reddish/orange. I use VP Racing unleaded Octanium, but only 4 oz per tankful per their recommendation. If you run more than that you should clean it up with a fuel system cleaner.

Here in Cali we get true E85, so I run 2.5 gallons of E85 and 4 oz of VP Racing unleaded Octanium. This gets me to 94+95 octane.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
So would I be able run regular gas in my car if I have too? I'm pumping 91 but it's not available everywhere so can I pump like 87 without causing the engine harm?
Manual says 87 is the fuel to use, 93 to get highest performance.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Factory tune is seeing 26 degrees of advance on Top Tier 93 oct. That is rather aggressive from Ford. I doubt adding octane booster will do anything or make the ECU add any timing.

I tried it a few times (VP Octanium) on my Tuned 18GT. Zero benefit observed.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For a while there were some issues with the Econo boost and it required 93 to run well. I am not sure what the current specifications are but the label on the fuel door of my Dark Horse says 87 is fine. My car will never see a track so I don't see a need to pay 50 cents a more for fuel that will not produce noticeable result in day to day driving.
I have driven cars that were not electronic ignition and you can clearly hear it when it gets some low grade gas. Normally you hear it at lower RPMS under load. The work around in that case is don't lug the engine until you get better gas in the car.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
For a while there were some issues with the Econo boost and it required 93 to run well. I am not sure what the current specifications are but the label on the fuel door of my Dark Horse says 87 is fine. My car will never see a track so I don't see a need to pay 50 cents a more for fuel that will not produce noticeable result in day to day driving.
I have driven cars that were not electronic ignition and you can clearly hear it when it gets some low grade gas. Normally you hear it at lower RPMS under load. The work around in that case is don't lug the engine until you get better gas in the car.
Make sure you tell people your DH makes 480hp and not 500 then . LOL

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you tell people your DH makes 480hp and not 500 then . LOL
True but who is going to know the difference as long as I stay away from the track. For that matter the 96 was only about 210 HP and this car is light years ahead of it.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
True but who is going to know the difference as long as I stay away from the track. For that matter the 96 was only about 210 HP and this car is light years ahead of it.
All that matters.. that you are good with it.
Sponsored