• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How’s your gas mileage?

antzman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I just cracked 450 mikes on my Mustang GT yesterday. It’s been a combo of local driving with a bit of highway mileage. Yesterday I made a roughly 160 mile round trip drive that was primarily two lane highways. When I got home I looked at my average gas mileage and I was sitting at 20.8. Frankly I’m really happy with that number.
Sponsored

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I just cracked 450 mikes on my Mustang GT yesterday. It’s been a combo of local driving with a bit of highway mileage. Yesterday I made a roughly 160 mile round trip drive that was primarily two lane highways. When I got home I looked at my average gas mileage and I was sitting at 20.8. Frankly I’m really happy with that number.
If I'm not mistaken, I saw a caption on a @All Terrain NAtion video where they got 24 highway MPG driving their car from MI to TN.

That's right about what Ford advertises.

OP
OP
antzman

antzman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I'm not mistaken, I saw a caption on a @All Terrain NAtion tion where they got 24 highway MPG driving the car from MI to TN.

That's right about what Ford advertises.
I should have put the caveat that I never get good gas mileage this early in an engines life. Typically it takes me 1000-2000 miles before the engine settles in. That’s probably my biggest surprise. I replaced a 2020 Ford Explorer ST with my mustang and so far I’m getting right around the same gas mileage that I did with the Explorer with a much bigger engine. I’ll take that any day

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I should have put the caveat that I never get good gas mileage this early in an engines life. Typically it takes me 1000-2000 miles before the engine settles in. That’s probably my biggest surprise. I replaced a 2020 Ford Explorer ST with my mustang and so far I’m getting right around the same gas mileage that I did with the Explorer with a much bigger engine. I’ll take that any day
The one video I did watch, as they were leaving Michigan, they were only going 65-70 MPH.

So that could have been part of the reason they got relatively good mileage as well.

I'm a speed demon (having learned how to drive in Detroit and now driving in Dallas, it comes naturally at this point), so can't say I will be taking it nearly as slow on my cross-country drive. 😈

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
I’m curious to know what was the octane rating of your fuel? I know this was discussed in June. Highest in Canada is 94 at Sunoco and Petro Canada.

OP
OP
antzman

antzman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m curious to know what was the octane rating of your fuel? I know this was discussed in June. Highest in Canada is 94 at Sunoco and Petro Canada.
I’m not sure what the dealership put into it at delivery, but I’ve used 89 octane the two fill ups that I’ve had to do so far

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
I’m not sure what the dealership put into it at delivery, but I’ve used 89 octane the two fill ups that I’ve had to do so far
Personally I would bump it up it up to at least 91 or 93. Manual says 87 is ok. It is a high performance engine and over time will be detrimental to your engine. This was discussed thoroughly in June and consensus was the higher the better. Try a tank or 2 you will feel the difference.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
Thanks for that, I’m waiting for my GT to come in, and sold my Explorer ST. Was happy with the mileage on the ST, so should be good with the GT😀

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I just rolled my 24’ GT to 657 miles tonight. I’m averaging 17.6mpg, I’m doing a lot of stop and go driving as well as I’m not being super gentle on the car throttle wise. Not saying I’m mashing it everywhere but if the roads are curvy I definitely get speed going and play like it’s meant to play. Figured ford said run it how it should be ran, no break in needed so I’m holding them to the test lol.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I find these numbers a bit disturbing. My 96 GT gets around 22 miles per gallon in town and the run between Los Angles and Phoenix I was able to get an even 30 miles per gallon. The RPMs for a given speed will pretty well match up with my new Dark Horse.
Now I am an easy driver. I set the cruse control at the speed limit and don't touch the brakes or gas unless traffic forces me to. I would have hoped in that in 27 years Ford might have improved the milage at least a little. I will find out in a few weeks when my car shows up.

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
I find these numbers a bit disturbing. My 96 GT gets around 22 miles per gallon in town and the run between Los Angles and Phoenix I was able to get an even 30 miles per gallon. The RPMs for a given speed will pretty well match up with my new Dark Horse.
Now I am an easy driver. I set the cruse control at the speed limit and don't touch the brakes or gas unless traffic forces me to. I would have hoped in that in 27 years Ford might have improved the milage at least a little. I will find out in a few weeks when my car shows up.
well the gas mileage didn't go up much but the horsepower nearly doubled lol

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Personally I would bump it up it up to at least 91 or 93. Manual says 87 is ok. It is a high performance engine and over time will be detrimental to your engine. This was discussed thoroughly in June and consensus was the higher the better. Try a tank or 2 you will feel the difference.
everything past the first sentence is wrong

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
well the gas mileage didn't go up much but the horsepower nearly doubled lol
No, the new engine is almost 2.5 times more powerful. The original 4.6 GT engine output just a little over 200 horsepower. It was a lot and earned you higher insurance rates but even economy cars generate that much or more horsepower today.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
The only difference you will feel is the placebo effect that's kicking in.

When giving you 10 Mustangs to drive and after the drive you can't tell me which one is 87 and which one is 93.
Sponsored