• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT vs RC300 F-Sport AWD

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
(This thread will likely become a journal of progress towards my next car after the EcoBoost.)

Earlier this week I test drove a 2023 Lexus RC350 F-Sport with RWD (not AWD as I originally posted, big oops!). At the time I walked away satisfied if not impressed. But up until now I've been reflecting and thinking to myself, "You know what? Maybe this Lexus would suit my driving style better than a Mustang GT." Let's just say I'm the guy that strictly follows the speed limit (or five over it tops) but will occasionally take a turn or two in succession in a "spirited" if not outright fast matter (and by spirited turns, I mean I do this at 20-30MPH 😅).

On the flipside, I've enjoyed the GT each time I've test driven it. The sound, the acceleration/torque feeling, and to a slightly lesser extent (compared to my EcoBoost) the handling. All in all a fun affordable vehicle for what it is. If I were to get one in two years (my timeframe for when I finish paying off the EcoBoost and trade-in for a new [ideally built-to-order] car), I'd spec it with at least 301A, 10-speed automatic (not interested in daily-driving a manual), 19" polished aluminum rims, Space Gray interior, and Active Exhaust. If I were to go Premium, I'd get the B&O sound system and possibly 401A just for the memory seats.

So why am I considering the RC300 F-Sport (I don't think I'd feel much of a difference between the 311HP in the RC350 from the 260HP in the RC300 acceleration-wise as a daily driver) instead of a Mustang GT? Part of me wonders if I can handle all the power the GT has, even with traction control permanently turned on. Another part questions if I can afford the increased cost of gas and insurance from an EcoBoost to a GT (or an RC300). And lastly, will the build quality be noticeably improved from my EcoBoost to either car I'm considering (but especially the GT)?

Long story short, can I handle the fun-filled powerhouse that is the GT on a daily basis? Or am I better off getting a sporty-yet-reliable and comfortable car in the RC300 F-Sport? Any and all input and thoughts would be highly appreciated from my end. Thank you!

(February 2025 is when I'll need to make that decision---I plan to custom order one of them.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
AWD has it's place or they wouldn't still be selling it. There is one problem with applying power to the front of the car and it makes the steering heavy. It's something I don't like or need seeing how few rainy days a year I see but if you see more rain or snow, it might be a trade off you're willing to accept. We had a Geo Metro for a while and that had front wheel drive. For a car that weighed so little, it drove more like a truck than the light weight that it was. Still, if fit in the trailer we pulled behind the motor home and it was the right car for the job. It was great for running into town after we had the motor home parked and the shop set up in the trailer.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Personally I like the heavier steering (Sport mode) on the Mustang. The Lexus also had nice steering, connected if a little light on effort.

Steadyvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang ecoboost
(This thread will likely become a journal of progress towards my next car after the EcoBoost.)

Earlier this week I test drove a 2023 Lexus RC350 F-Sport with AWD. At the time I walked away satisfied if not impressed. But up until now I've been reflecting and thinking to myself, "You know what? Maybe this Lexus would suit my driving style better than a Mustang GT." Let's just say I'm the guy that strictly follows the speed limit (or five over it tops) but will occasionally take a turn or two in succession in a "spirited" if not outright fast matter (and by spirited turns, I mean I do this at 20-30MPH 😅).

On the flipside, I've enjoyed the GT each time I've test driven it. The sound, the acceleration/torque feeling, and to a slightly lesser extent (compared to my EcoBoost) the handling. All in all a fun affordable vehicle for what it is. If I were to get one in two years (my timeframe for when I finish paying off the EcoBoost and trade-in for a new [ideally built-to-order] car), I'd spec it with at least 301A, 10-speed automatic (not interested in daily-driving a manual), 19" polished aluminum rims, Space Gray interior, and Active Exhaust. If I were to go Premium, I'd get the B&O sound system and possibly 401A just for the memory seats.

So why am I considering the RC300 F-Sport (I don't think I'd feel much of a difference between the 311HP in the RC350 from the 260HP in the RC300 acceleration-wise as a daily driver) instead of a Mustang GT? Part of me wonders if I can handle all the power the GT has, even with traction control permanently turned on. Another part questions if I can afford the increased cost of gas and insurance from an EcoBoost to a GT (or an RC300). And lastly, will the build quality be noticeably improved from my EcoBoost to either car I'm considering (but especially the GT)?

Long story short, can I handle the fun-filled powerhouse that is the GT on a daily basis? Or am I better off getting a sporty-yet-reliable and comfortable car in the RC300 F-Sport? Any and all input and thoughts would be highly appreciated from my end. Thank you!

(February 2025 is when I'll need to make that decision---I plan to custom order one of them.)
I've actually owned a lexus RC350 F sport. I traded it in for a Mustang GT.
Although lexus is known for it's luxurious interior and smooth ride, I was very impressed when comparing the two vehicles. Lexus is extremely overpriced! You get more bang for your buck with the Mustang. The only thing that I miss with the lexus is the sunroof, other than that, I'm extremely happy with my switch and never thought twice about it. I loved the Mustang so much more, that I ordered a 2024. Can't wait!

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I've actually owned a lexus RC350 F sport. I traded it in for a Mustang GT.
Although lexus is known for it's luxurious interior and smooth ride, I was very impressed when comparing the two vehicles. Lexus is extremely overpriced! You get more bang for your buck with the Mustang. The only thing that I miss with the lexus is the sunroof, other than that, I'm extremely happy with my switch and never thought twice about it. I loved the Mustang so much more, that I ordered a 2024. Can't wait!
How smooth does the Lexus ride in comparison to the GT?

As you've probably gathered I'm still going back and forth between the two. If you don't mind me asking a few questions...

1. Does insurance and/or gas cost more with the Mustang versus the Lexus or are they pretty close?
2. Was the rear seat of the RC more usable than the Mustang? (Say in case of an emergency.)
3. Were the tires of the RC all-season or summer tires? (I forgot to ask the salesperson during my test drive.)
4. Lastly, how was navigating the not-touchscreen interface of the Lexus? Not necessarily using the touchpad (since '23 and onward get touchscreen usability), but going through the menus and such.

I guess where I'm coming from, it comes down now to if the Mustang's build quality drastically improves (wishful thinking, I know) and if I can afford the increased gas/insurance combo that the GT will likely carry over the EcoBoost.

Steadyvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang ecoboost
How smooth does the Lexus ride in comparison to the GT?

As you've probably gathered I'm still going back and forth between the two. If you don't mind me asking a few questions...

1. Does insurance and/or gas cost more with the Mustang versus the Lexus or are they pretty close?
2. Was the rear seat of the RC more usable than the Mustang? (Say in case of an emergency.)
3. Were the tires of the RC all-season or summer tires? (I forgot to ask the salesperson during my test drive.)
4. Lastly, how was navigating the not-touchscreen interface of the Lexus? Not necessarily using the touchpad (since '23 and onward get touchscreen usability), but going through the menus and such.

I guess where I'm coming from, it comes down now to if the Mustang's build quality drastically improves (wishful thinking, I know) and if I can afford the increased gas/insurance combo that the GT will likely carry over the EcoBoost.

Lexus ride is very smooth, unmatched by far, but Mustang isn't to far behind.
Gas was about the same, insurance went down (luxury vehicles are always more to insure)
More room in Mustang rear seat.
RC had summer tires.
Lexus infotainment system sucked! I think that they offer touch screen now, but I like Mustangs much better.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Interesting. Thank you very much for your input, Steadyvw. More to consider and contemplate on.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
It's only today I realized I made a BIG typo in my intro post for this thread. It's corrected now, but I test drove the Lexus RC350 F-Sport with rear-wheel-drive. That means it had the eight-speed automatic, whereas the AWD version has the six-speed. Now for the next set of questions on my mind:

1. Is the six-speed any fun to use on (as Raiti's Rides calls 'em) the twisty bits? (Whether going at speed or just cruising relaxingly.)

2. Is there any noticeable difference between the six- and eight-speed as far as regular daily driving goes?

This is (hopefully) all I have for today. As always any and all input is welcome. Thank you again!

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
So I've been thinking (dangerous I know)...why get a Lexus RC when I can get a fully loaded Subaru Legacy for considerably less? The only drawbacks I see on the Legacy are the CVT and the less luxurious interior. And in exchange I get an actually usable backseat and sleeper quality exterior styling. Otherwise, they more or less both make 260HP (the RC300 AWD does, but some say the 241HP RC300 RWD feels more responsive?) and handle curves up to my not so fast driving expectations.

To clarify I'm still aiming for the GT as my next car. This comparison is more to see what I should be aiming for should my Mustang plans fall through.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
2. Is there any noticeable difference between the six- and eight-speed as far as regular daily driving goes?
I am not familiar with those transmissions but I asked the same question about the mustangs 6 speeds. The Tremec ends up being a more durable transmission. Next you need to look at the steps between gears. In the mustangs case, the auto 10 speed allows the transmission to pick a better ratio for fuel economy. All of the transmission have the same end ratio of about .63 but the Tremec takes a big jump from 1.0 to .63 If fuel economy is important, you probably wouldn't want the Tremec. You would also find yourself shifting a bit more with the Tremec in city driving because of the close rations.
If you speed shift, you would want a durable transmission. If you want fuel economy you want the close rations. If you drive something like the Los Angles freeway, close spacing could mean a lot of shifting. Been there, done that.
Look at the mustang ratios and you will see how each transmission seems to be geared for a different application. The getrag and the auto really are intended for a smaller engine where you might not be able to overpower a large spacing. On the other hand, the 1 to 1 ratio would probably take you over 120 miles per hour at 6,000 RPM.
This is why professional racers come with a sack full of gears at a new track. They play around with rear ends finding the optimum ratios for the track they will race in.
Fuel economy, ratios and durability, you can probably have 2 of the 3. Pick what is most important to you.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Which leaves you with a larger smile?

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Fuel economy, ratios and durability, you can probably have 2 of the 3. Pick what is most important to you.
Fuel economy and durability are probably the most important to me. I'd be going with the 10-speed if I get the GT, but I think this time I'd also go for the 3.55 ratios/gearing over the default 3.17. In my experience test driving GTs, I feel like that setup has been smoother from standstill compared to the stock setup.
Sponsored