• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT Did Not Start, Threw Every Code At Me

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I just had this happen to me this past Sunday. Saturday night the car drove fine. Woke up Sunday morning and was going to leave for church with the Mrs. and the car wouldn't start. Got every error on my screen... Took the Mrs. car to church and after church we went to lunch. When we came home about 3 hours later, I tried my car and she started right up. No errors... nothing. Like nothing had happened. It's been fine since. One thing to note is that when it happened, I got all kinds of errors on my screen and the MyFord app did not report a single issue. The vehicle status was a green check mark.
temptation comes in many formsā€¦electronic gremlins are the worst, just be glad occurred pre drive and not during. hopefully a temp glitch, momentary power surge flaky ground or something as simple as the battery or needing the ota. if you gotta have an electrical issue thatā€™s the one (bad battery) iā€™d prefer.
Sponsored

Dwoodmansee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I had this same issue a couple of weeks after receiving my new 2024 Mustang GT (around Thanksgiving last year). The car would not start properly, and numerous warnings and messages displayed across the dash screen. It even backfired when I did get it to start, but stalled when trying to go forward or backwards. It eventually started up properly the following day. I took it to the shop, and they could not reproduce the problem. The best they could do was download (reprogram) the car.

I still receive errors with the electronics and get the same answer from the service department (cannot reproduce the problem).

Recently I received a message that the pre-collision system failed to start up. Still, service dept could not reproduce.

Lastly, I get messages every time I drive saying to keep hands on steering wheel. Service department said itā€™s not reproducible and is not an issue to worry about. I even told them how to reproduce the problem. I called Ford and they basically said they canā€™t help (go see another dealer).

Been frustrating owning a S650 Mustang to say the least. Who is supposed to help solve these problems?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Lastly, I get messages every time I drive saying to keep hands on steering wheel. Service department said itā€™s not reproducible and is not an issue to worry about. I even told them how to reproduce the problem. I called Ford and they basically said they canā€™t help (go see another dealer).
I think if you go into the vehicle settings, you can disable the driver alert option or whatever.

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
Same thing just happened to me this morning. Strapped my daughter into her car seat, went to start the car:
  • Service Vehicle Soon
  • Full Accessory Power Active
  • Hill Start Assist Not Available
  • Service AdvanceTrac
  • Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
After 3-4 attempts, I gave up, walked my daughter to school in the rain, came back maybe 45 minutes later and tried again. Of course it started just fine.

My car was manufactured after Feb 8th so itā€™s not clear whether that TSB applies.

Iā€™m writing this from my dealerā€™s service waiting area as they check it. Will report back with any useful info.

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Iā€™m writing this from my dealerā€™s service waiting area as they check it. Will report back with any useful info.
Ugh. That's so frustrating. Yes, please keep us updated. I think they ran some updates on my car, but now they're trying to diagnose a rattle. It's been a week that they've had the car.

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing just happened to me this morning. Strapped my daughter into her car seat, went to start the car:
  • Service Vehicle Soon
  • Service AdvanceTrac
After 3-4 attempts, I gave up, walked my daughter to school in the rain, came back maybe 45 minutes later and tried again. Of course it started just fine.

My car was manufactured after Feb 8th so itā€™s not clear whether that TSB applies.

Post dealer visit update:

So of course the car started fine at the dealership and there were no useful codes for them to read (just the "loss of communication" DTCs). I had video of what happened so I didn't have an issue proving the existence of the problem. The technician suspects it's related to the ABS module thing, but since my car was assembled between Feb 9th and 19th (blend date 15th) the software update that goes with the TSB can't be installed. Not that it would do any good, assuming said software version is already running on my hardware.

Bottom line is that they can't do anything unless it happens again when/where they can hook up their diagnostic tools. Or, until someone else figures it out and @Ford Motor Company issues an update. šŸ˜¬

(My service advisor gets credit here because he seemed genuinely bummed that they didn't solve the problem.)

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post dealer visit update:

So of course the car started fine at the dealership and there were no useful codes for them to read (just the "loss of communication" DTCs). I had video of what happened so I didn't have an issue proving the existence of the problem. The technician suspects it's related to the ABS module thing, but since my car was assembled between Feb 9th and 19th (blend date 15th) the software update that goes with the TSB can't be installed. Not that it would do any good, assuming said software version is already running on my hardware.

Bottom line is that they can't do anything unless it happens again when/where they can hook up their diagnostic tools. Or, until someone else figures it out and @Ford Motor Company issues an update. šŸ˜¬

(My service advisor gets credit here because he seemed genuinely bummed that they didn't solve the problem.)

Thanks for the update. My dealer said same thing too about ABS module needing reinstalled. Still waiting for confirmation on what they decided to do. Interesting though that yours is so new and had the issue. Mine was built in June. So it sounds like could be beyond system just needing updates perhaps, but I have no clue. This is all new territory for me.

jimgt2k24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 silver GT 401A, auto, act exh, perf pkg, nite
Has anyone tried to use a portable battery jump starter (ie. NOCO Boost Plus GB40) to start the car when this situation happens?

• Service Vehicle Soon
  • Service AdvanceTrac

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone tried to use a portable battery jump starter (ie. NOCO Boost Plus GB40) to start the car when this situation happens?
I didn't think to because it wasn't behaving like any late-model car I've seen with a dead battery or a bad terminal connection (I've experienced a few). There wasn't any relay/solenoid clicking to be heard at all when you hit the start button. All other functions (infotainment, power seat, locks, windows, etc.) seemed to be working normally.

I should have mentioned in my update that the dealership did test the battery health and terminal connections today and ruled those out as the potential cause so it seems unlikely that this is a voltage / battery connection problem.

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know some folks said they replaced the battery when this happened because of low voltage, but that doesn't seem to be the problem for most people who experience this as far as I can tell. It seems pretty random and isn't really something that can be replicated. In some cases the ABS module was reprogrammed/reinstalled/updated and those folks (as far as I know) haven't had the issue again. Such a weird and frustrating issue that probably comes down to a rare software glitch due to parts of the program not being on the same page and causing temporary problems.

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know some folks said they replaced the battery when this happened because of low voltage, but that doesn't seem to be the problem for most people who experience this as far as I can tell. It seems pretty random and isn't really something that can be replicated. In some cases the ABS module was reprogrammed/reinstalled/updated and those folks (as far as I know) haven't had the issue again. Such a weird and frustrating issue that probably comes down to a rare software glitch due to parts of the program not being on the same page and causing temporary problems.
Is anyone aware of a minimum amount of time that passes between this issue occurring and a subsequent successful start? i.e. maybe some sort of reset happens on its own with the key out of range? Until the problem gets solved, this might be useful knowledge.

OP
OP
The Ghost

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is anyone aware of a minimum amount of time that passes between this issue occurring and a subsequent successful start? i.e. maybe some sort of reset happens on its own with the key out of range? Until the problem gets solved, this might be useful knowledge.
Can only speak from my experience, but as noted in the OP, I took the key fob out of range twice. The first time I came back it still didn't start, but the second time it did. I probably walked about 100 feet away both times. This was 30 minutes after I first encountered the issue. It seems like it could be more a matter of waiting it out than the key being out of range.

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
Mine did that getting gas once. I thought try with key fob it started right up no problem after that.
Sponsored