• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford's Marketing Team at it Again

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My wife has a 2024 Lincoln Nautilus (yes, I am fully aware of where they come from). Apparently they are also uber sporty. I had no idea.
S650 Mustang Ford's Marketing Team at it Again Screenshot_20240501-193652_Chrome
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
It does seem like Ford's marketing team might be stretching it a bit there.
It's not just marketing. The "D-shaped" steering wheel was most certainly originally conceived to give race car drivers extra legroom and to make it easier to enter/exit from vehicles that were very low to the ground.

All kinds of cars fit that bill today, so it makes sense. Getting out of vehicle that his higher off the ground doesn't present as much of a steering wheel clearance challenge as getting out of a very low slung vehicle.

It's not just about "fat people" - if it was, you'd have D-shaped steering wheels in SUVs and everything else.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I think you’re missing the point.
The Flat Bottom Steering Wheel has a purpose.
I don’t want to hurt feelings but,
Many individuals have larger bodies and therefore the Flat Bottom Sterering Wheel will make it easier for a person with a beer belly, to get in and out of the mustang much easier?
I believe Ford did this without saying.
You say I'm missing the point but then you make the exact same argument I made....I don't understand your logic. 🤦‍♂️
The flat bottom wheel helps people get in and out of the car. It's an ergonomics thing. The fact that the bottom of the wheel is flat has zero to do with the performance or handling of the car.

Read my original post more carefully.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You say I'm missing the point but then you make the exact same argument I made....I don't understand your logic. 🤦‍♂️
The flat bottom wheel helps people get in and out of the car. It's an ergonomics thing. The fact that the bottom of the wheel is flat has zero to do with the performance or handling of the car.

Using something for marketing (only) means it doesn't really serve a purpose or do anything IRL, but is used only to help sell something.

Consider the phrase "Military grade". There is no such thing. But it's used as a marketing term to make someone think they are buying something more tough or durable than "normal grade".

The D-shaped steering wheel does actually serve a purpose beyond marketing -- it WAS invented to help drivers get in and out of low-slung vehicles.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Using something for marketing (only) means it doesn't really serve a purpose or do anything IRL, but is used only to help sell something.

Consider the phrase "Military grade". There is no such thing. But it's used as a marketing term to make someone think they are buying something more tough or durable than "normal grade".

The D-shaped steering wheel does actually serve a purpose beyond marketing -- it WAS invented to help drivers get in and out of low-slung vehicles.
Completely agree. I never said it didn't serve a purpose. I said it does nothing for performance handling and has everything to do with ingress and egress.
Am I missing something here? Are we all talking about the same post?

ShelbyMilk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 DH
Marketing....Are you telling me they hype their products???? :)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely agree. I never said it didn't serve a purpose. I said it does nothing for performance handling and has everything to do with ingress and egress.
Am I missing something here? Are we all talking about the same post?
I think you and I are on the same page.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited

I never said it was for performance. I said it was for people with large bodies.
Would be for performance if the engine was in the steering wheel.
Sin Loy.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said it was for performance. I said it was for people with large bodies.
Would be for performance if the engine was in the steering wheel.
Sin Loy.
Nobody is saying it's for performance except Ford themselves.... that was my whole point.

S650 Mustang Ford's Marketing Team at it Again 1714681584355-de

> Ford marketing says flat bottom wheel is for performance.
> I made original post saying they are not for performance. They are for ergonomics.
> You say I'm missing the point but also say they are for ergonomics.
> I question your logic for calling me out yet we are both making the same point.
> Now you say "I never said it was for performance." .... no one said you did.

Is there a language barrier here? We are so far away from being on the same page yet we are both making the same exact argument.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 Mustang Ford's Marketing Team at it Again 1714685525811-t8

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Square bottom easier to drift, err i mean turn
Square bottom steering wheel makes the rocking world go.........
Sponsored

Reactions: Zig