• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford's CEO Wants the Next Mustang to Be a Poster Car

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
A car worthy of being on a poster in a kid's bedroom. I'll admit, in the 80's, the posters in my bedroom were of the Lamborghini Countach, the Ferrari 308 GTS and the Ferrari 288 GTO :)
Now, kids want video game or comic book heroes on their wall.
Sponsored

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a child of the 80s, I remember the Mustang II, the fox bodies, etc. She is right, they were never great designs. The SN95 was good for the time, but only because it had been so bad previously. The Camaro was pretty bad, but I always thought the firebird beat all of them. Especially the last firehawk version. I mean, I liked the 97 T-bird, but a lot of people thought it was an ugly car.

Looks are subjective. we all like different things, and that's good.

I am hoping it can be poster worthy, and while some will always have it on their walls, I am hoping that it will appeal to car people in general, not just mustang people.
The introduction of the Mustang II on September 21, 1973, coincided with the Arab oil embargo. The marketplace was adjusting to the fuel crisis, increasing insurance rates, United States emission standards, safety regulations, and downturns in the economy, as well as the waning consumer demand in the pony car segment. I almost bought a 1978 Mustang II Ghia, but Ford wanted almost $4k for one and the quality really sucked.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This to me says they wanna take the mustang up market which isnā€™t a bad thing. But that comes with cost and possibly alienating the core idea of a mustang ā€œaka being half way affordableā€ so more than likely youā€™ll probably see the mustang GT try to compete with the C8 corvette on a lap time/ performance metric and while doing it for 10k less. This next gEN mustang is either going to be a hot mess or really move units like the s550 did at launch.
Ford did the same thing with the Mercury Cougar. It went from a sports car to an upmarket car and it failed miserably.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the S197 Mustang was any more plasticky or cheap looking than the Camaro of that time...oh wait, Chevy didn't make Camaros for most of that run. That aside, I'm sure that girl is way too young to remember when cars still had steel panels showing in the dash.
What alternate material would you use in lieu of plastic in order to keep costs down?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I don't think the S197 Mustang was any more plasticky or cheap looking than the Camaro of that time...oh wait, Chevy didn't make Camaros for most of that run.
Wrong. They made it for 50% of the S197 run - 2010 thru 2014 (5 of 10 years).

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Royal Crimson convertible
What alternate material would you use in lieu of plastic in order to keep costs down?
Not suggesting another material, merely pointing out that the plastic of the time didnā€™t look any worse than competitors, or further, that great compared to more modern materials.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not suggesting another material, merely pointing out that the plastic of the time didnā€™t look any worse than competitors, or further, that great compared to more modern materials.
Ford is partnering with Jose Cuervo to explore using agave by-products to create more sustainable bioplastics instead of petroleum-based materials. There's should be a song lyrics to made from that.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford is partnering with Jose Cuervo to explore using agave by-products to create more sustainable bioplastics instead of used petroleum-based materials. There's should be a song lyrics to made from that.
Believe it or not, they have actually produced diamonds from tequila.

Last edited:

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I know a lot of kids that had the Countach poster.
Right here! It was hung right under my Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders poster šŸ˜

Reactions: Zig

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Royal Crimson convertible
Again, no. Exactly half. Same number of years during as not. šŸ˜€
From Merriam-Webster.com:
much
noun
1: a great quantity, amount, extent, or degree
She gave away much of what she owned

So while you are correct that the Camaro production run was exactly half that of the S197 run, ā€œmuchā€, as used in my comment, is correct, rendering that portion of your comment incorrect.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Merriam-Webster.com:
much
noun
1: a great quantity, amount, extent, or degree
She gave away much of what she owned

So while you are correct that the Camaro production run was exactly half that of the S197 run, ā€œmuchā€, as used in my comment, is correct, rendering that portion of your comment incorrect.
Yet "half" is still MORE accurate.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bro.