• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford CEO Jim Farley Drives the S550 Supercar with Jimmy Fallon

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
It really is.

*Cue shitstorm of angry '18+ S550 owners*
Agreed, was trying to have a discussion with a 2018+ owner in the forums about all the reasons the refresh doesn't work visually. They're only response after my analysis was to say something along the lines of "Good points, but you're still wrong". Everything from the uglier lower vents, to the droopy grille and terrible headlights. It's one of those designs people defend because it's "aggressive". Even if that aggression came at the cost of beauty and line flow.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
It really is.

*Cue shitstorm of angry '18+ S550 owners*
No anger here. As a '19 owner, I smile ear to ear every time I see the 650 front end. Nope, all good here. Cheers.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
NO UR UGLY šŸ¤¬

Just kidding, but despite the refresh not looking as technically cohesive as the original, I still find the refresh less boring (for lack of a better term) than the original.
Good take on it. The ā€˜15 was more cohesive; the overall surfacing of the S550 is smooth with deliberate, large cuts and that was reflected in the simplicity of the fascia, hood, and smaller details, like the lights, plate surrounds, hood detailing, etc.

The ā€˜18 introduced more lines and flourishes to the prior template arguably at the cost of cohesion. It definitely has an edgier look, just at the detriment of being a little less timeless.

Thatā€™s why I love the S650. The details match up with the overall styling decisions.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good take on it. The ā€˜15 was more cohesive; the overall surfacing of the S550 is smooth with deliberate, large cuts and that was reflected in the simplicity of the fascia, hood, and smaller details, like the lights, plate surrounds, hood detailing, etc.

The ā€˜18 introduced more lines and flourishes to the prior template arguably at the cost of cohesion. It definitely has an edgier look, just at the detriment of being a little less timeless.

Thatā€™s why I love the S650. The details match up with the overall styling decisions.
ALSO a good take (mostly) .... except for the last part. I just can't see what you see in the s650 in regards to that. Too me, they don't match up and the overall front end is rather boring, unconsidered and incomplete. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
ALSO a good take (mostly) .... except for the last part. I just can't see what you see in the s650 in regards to that. Too me, they don't match up and the overall front end is rather boring, unconsidered and incomplete. Eye of the beholder, I guess.
The S650 is like a ton of more modern designs that donā€™t rely on basic line flowing principles to create something homogenous, so while it does have some features that flow to create a bigger signature impact (eg the leading brow line, the tail panel crease cutting through the rear lights, the snorkels into valance on the GT, etc), itā€™s more about balanced shapes that bisect each other.

Iā€™ve said it a couple of times that you canā€™t really draw straight lines on this car to highlight its strengths like you could on an S550. It doesnā€™t have your standard swage lines to trace anyway. You have to highlight the overall shapes made from the large-scale contours, like the way the front end works as one piece to highlight the long front proportions and exaggerated front fender base, which leads to a cinched waste and visually-tight midsection, and the flared rear haunches that are almost their own piece encasing the front end to highlight RWD power. The same thing applies to the front and rear. The duct work encases the front end and creates a strong frame for the headlights, especially when couple with the brow line. The grilleā€™s black plastic works in conjunction to create a narrower, wider frame for the body colored portion.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The S650 is like a ton of more modern designs that donā€™t rely on basic line flowing principles to create something homogenous, so while it does have some features that flow to create a bigger signature impact (eg the leading brow line, the tail panel crease cutting through the rear lights, the snorkels into valance on the GT, etc), itā€™s more about balanced shapes that bisect each other.

Iā€™ve said it a couple of times that you canā€™t really draw straight lines on this car to highlight its strengths like you could on an S550. It doesnā€™t have your standard swage lines to trace anyway. You have to highlight the overall shapes made from the large-scale contours, like the way the front end works as one piece to highlight the long front proportions and exaggerated front fender base, which leads to a cinched waste and visually-tight midsection, and the flared rear haunches that are almost their own piece encasing the front end to highlight RWD power. The same thing applies to the front and rear. The duct work encases the front end and creates a strong frame for the headlights, especially when couple with the brow line. The grilleā€™s black plastic works in conjunction to create a narrower, wider frame for the body colored portion.
You must write for living because this is very well said. Even though my eyes, via photos, do not see everything you say here, even though I do see some of what you say, I will reference this when I go see it live, whenever that is. But it will take every bit of this and much more to wrestle my '19 out of my driveway.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
You must write for living because this is very well said. Even though my eyes, via photos, do not see everything you say here, even though I do see some of what you say, I will reference this when I go see it live, whenever that is. But it will take every bit of this and much more to wrestle my '19 out of my driveway.
Appreciate that lol. Always been obsessed with car design but the prospect of spending $40k/yearā€”back in 2008-2010 at leastā€”to get an industrial design degree specializing in transportation design, with the extremely high probability of winding up designing the wing mirrors on a bus instead of being a chief designer for a big OEM scared me from pursuing that dream over a decade ago.

Now I just funnel that passion into armchair analyst opinions on the internet