• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Exhaust Smells like Coolant/Sweet

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
A few weeks back I posted stating that I noticed my coolant reservoir was a little low and most people said it could have been a burp in the lines and that it could be normal. I bought ford OEM coolant and topped it back off, didn't take very much.

I noticed twice this weekend that my exhaust has an almost sweet smell and maybe a hint of coolant smell in it, though I have no white smoke at any point. Is this normal? My coolant level seems to have went down maybe a little bit since I topped it off last weekend but I'm not entirely sure if it moved much at all. What should I do? Keep driving and monitoring the coolant level every few days until I notice a true change in the level or should I address it with ford when I take it in for a new passenger side weatherstrip this week?

I plan on doing my 5k mile oil change this week, I planned on getting a clear glass or bottle to catch a cup full of the old oil and see if it looks milky but if I take it to ford for this concern, should I let them do the oil change?
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Do you see any evidence of a leak on the engine anywhere, or coolant collecting in the underbody anywhere?

you can check the oil on the dipstick for coolant milkshake, you don't have to wait for an oil change.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you see any evidence of a leak on the engine anywhere, or coolant collecting in the underbody anywhere?

you can check the oil on the dipstick for coolant milkshake, you don't have to wait for an oil change.
No leak under the car or in the engine bay anywhere. I will check the dipstick in the AM

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
My coolant level seems to have went down maybe a little bit since I topped it off last weekend but I'm not entirely sure if it moved much at all. What should I do?
a temporary piece of masking or even electrical tape across the top of the line will help track the level. Align the bottom of the tape/ line with the top of the fluid level (so if it goes down you would see a gap). A little here and there is ok (as in may go down but should come back up) but if constantly going down time to investigate.

do you smell it while inside or outside thr car? Inside may be heater core ( if its burning and you smell it inside that would imply exhaust is making it inside as well). Sometimes the overflow will overflow and thats where it went.

hows the operating temps been?

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a temporary piece of masking or even electrical tape across the top of the line will help track the level. Align the bottom of the tape/ line with the top of the fluid level (so if it goes down you would see a gap). A little here and there is ok (as in may go down but should come back up) but if constantly going down time to investigate.

do you smell it while inside or outside thr car? Inside may be heater core ( if its burning and you smell it inside that would imply exhaust is making it inside as well). Sometimes the overflow will overflow and thats where it went.

hows the operating temps been?
Outside the car, usually for the first few minutes after starting from cold. Operating temps have been good, no issues there. I do believe I'm going to try the tape as you suggested as well as do my oil change tomorrow and see how my oil looks. Fingers crossed it's just the normal up and down and not something more. Have a big trip to Tennessee planned for next month, 1400 miles round trip.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I noticed you posted earlier about an oil analysis from Blackstone, so you're familiar with the process.

While getting a sample kit might delay the upcoming oil change by a bit, seems like a great time to do one. Not only will it quantify if any is present, it will trend with your previous sample, all on one page.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed you posted earlier about an oil analysis from Blackstone, so you're familiar with the process.

While getting a sample kit might delay the upcoming oil change by a bit, seems like a great time to do one. Not only will it quantify if any is present, it will trend with your previous sample, all on one page.
Must have me confused with someone else unfortunately as I have never done a test kit before. I didn't think of doing one until reading your post here, they should be able to tell me everything that's in my oil including any coolant correct?

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does this look normal for 4,000 Miles, full synthetic?

S650 Mustang Exhaust Smells like Coolant/Sweet 20240422_071653

S650 Mustang Exhaust Smells like Coolant/Sweet 20240422_071825

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I plan on sending a oil sample to Blackstone on my next oil change to be sure nothing is happening internally.
I saw this before. It's all good.

Yes, they can quantify water, coolant, fuel, etc. The attached is an example. See the bottom section.

A kit request and shipping are free. A person pays when the sample is sent in.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

The sample is returned via USPS, in the received pre-paid envelope.

Edit: I don't think there is a limit on kits. Maybe request two? You'll run one sample and hold the other for Ford.

S650 Mustang Exhaust Smells like Coolant/Sweet skye oil analysis 2023

Attachments

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw this before. It's all good.

Yes, they can quantify water, coolant, fuel, etc. The attached is an example. See the bottom section.

A kit request and shipping are free. A person pays when the sample is sent in.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

The sample is returned via USPS, in the received pre-paid envelope.

Edit: I don't think there is a limit on kits. Maybe request two? You'll run one sample and hold the other for Ford.

skye oil analysis 2023.jpg
Just requested a kit. I may get a clean mason jar and do my oil change this week and get a jars worth until the kit comes in to send it back to them. More of a piece of mind type deal knowing if I'm in trouble or not.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does this look normal for 4,000 Miles, full synthetic?

20240422_071653.jpg

20240422_071825.jpg
Iā€™ve seen worse. For 4k not bad. imo, If it was an active ā€˜seepā€™ a bit more milk would be in that shake.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve seen worse. For 4k not bad. imo, If it was an active ā€˜seepā€™ a bit more milk would be in that shake.
That was after a 8 mile drive home from work, checking it completely cold make a difference?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was after a 8 mile drive home from work, checking it completely cold make a difference?
Wouldnā€™t hurt to do one of each so you can see the diff. Kinda like knowing what it should look like even though sheā€™s sitting at an angle.

although in this case, not really. Youā€™re looking for the tell tell signs of mix not results of usage/combustion but the addition of water/glycol ā€¦.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
checking it completely cold make a difference?
If you're not already familiar with the characteristic, oil will expand when hot and return to normal once cold. Your dipstick will measure differently. Mine moves as much as two "X" up and down the scale.

In addition to the dipstick, you could remove the oil fill cap and take a look at the underside of it. But this can sometimes be deceiving. Milky-looking residue can accumulate, depending on how the car is driven, season and temps. It is most often "clear" though.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldnā€™t hurt to do one of each so you can see the diff. Kinda like knowing what it should look like even though sheā€™s sitting at an angle.

although in this case, not really. Youā€™re looking for the tell tell signs of mix not results of usage/combustion but the addition of water/glycol ā€¦.
I'll check later when it's completely cooled down. Just wondering if there is a coolant mixture happening, if it'll be "thicker" or easier to see on the dipstick while cold and settled completely in the oil pan.
Sponsored