• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse poorly received??

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Looks like we are both carguys from the same generation…The point I tried to make that not too long ago you could buy a car like a Fox body 5.0 that was probably more fun because it was light and torquey for way less money…Car prices have risen like crazy look like a new $30000 car that looks like a Mustang while wages or real take home stayed where it was 30 years ago…No wonder younger people are not enthusiastic about cars/motorcycles anymore because they cant afford anything new anymore anyways…
A 1991 base GT 5.0 hatchback was ~$13K when I bought it new.
That would be ~$30K in 2024 dollars.
A 2024 Mustang GT Fastback starts at $41,960.
That's right about a 40% increase.

US average annual individual income in 1991 was $22,158.
That's $49,638 in 2023 dollars (most recent available data).
In 2023, it was $69,029.61.
That's right about a 40% increase.

Doesn't seem that far off to me.

I agree with Q6543 and his last statement.
Sponsored

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Factually that’s wrong. And the lower the decile the HIGHER their wages have increased over the last decade.
Because people make so much money factories cant keep up with the demand for all these $75K Mustangs and $100K pickup trucks…🤣

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because people make so much money factories cant keep up with the demand for all these $75K Mustangs and $100K pickup trucks…🤣
See my math above. It's accurate.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I like a lot of other people in the US make pretty much the same money today (maybe plus 25% ) while prices for milk , gas and pretty much the same cars minus electronic gizmos I can do without have been going up 400 %…Same with housing , rent , etc…People cant afford the things anymore they could years ago and are maxed out in debt…I am glad I can still able to afford a decend car and motorcycle but changing every or every other year I dont do anymore because these days are gone as also there is almost nothing out there anymore worth getting excited about and the few things priced for the 1% only…A Mustang for $300K is not crazy but INSANE just as a example to prove my point…That is Ferrari money !

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Lightning Lap means Nothing unless they let all cars run the same tire…Like letting runners compete one in hiking boots 🥾 the other wearing track shoes 👟…So much for the “king” 🤴when certain tires are only good for a few laps netting 5 seconds…C&D is fake news at best 🤣
I'm in agreement with this.

I don't agree the Lightning Lap means "nothing". Cars are driven stock and honestly that is how it should be. Comparing results year over year really isn't valid. Mach 1 had a faster lap than the GT 350R. So did the Dark Horse. Is the GT 350R slower than both of those cars same day? I highly highly doubt it.

Dark Horse had a respectable time. Achieving that time on Trofeo R tires shouldn't matter. Those are stock for HP cars same as the Trofeo R was stock for the 15 Z28 and Cup 2s were stock on Mach 1. Would the SS1LE be faster than both on Trofeo R or Cup 2s? Maybe. But that isn't how that car was shipped.

My issue is how close to level 3 in price the DH is and how hot the transmission got after a few laps in February. A10 ZL1 doesn't have this issue and the GT500 with DCT was also fine lap after lap. I dont recall if anyone tested a Mach 1 A10 car or not. Regardless Ford should address that issue. Trans overheating on a track focused car should not be happening. Especially in winter.
Cars that enthusiasts run at the track/HDPE are rarely stock. Most of the avid HPDE folks are going to use a tire that is better for endurance/lapping like a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 than a super-stick Trofeo RS tire that only lasts 1 weekend. They are also likely to upgrade to track oriented brake pads very quickly as well.

With that being said, I'm impressed by the DH with HP and Recaros. I like that the catastrophic mechanical failure costs aren't as high as a G87 M2. Blow up your 5.0 Coyote... $6-7k... just "add to cart" versus $35-40k for a new S58 + turbos.

I think where Ford missed the mark is simply the entry cost. The DH Premium with HP and Recaros need to be sub $60k to undercut the G87 M2.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
With that being said, I'm impressed by the DH with HP and Recaros. I like that the catastrophic mechanical failure costs aren't as high as a G87 M2. Blow up your 5.0 Coyote... $6-7k... just "add to cart" versus $35-40k for a new S58 + turbos.I
That's close but new Coyote crate engines are more like 10-11k. Still a whole lot less that that BMW shit.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
I like a lot of other people in the US make pretty much the same money today (maybe plus 25% )
Are you saying you only make 25% more now than 25-30 years ago? If so, you must have made some pretty poor life decisions (job selection).

qwk93ta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT PP1 mag ride recaros; 23 Demon 170
I decided against buying a DH and bought a 24 GT premium PP1 m6 with active exhaust, recaros and mag ride. Stickered for $62,720 and I got $5k off. No one was offing anything off a DH, some dealers still want over sticker.
IMG_0082.jpeg

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Are you saying you only make 25% more now than 25-30 years ago? If so, you must have made some pretty poor life decisions (job selection).
I think he’s just desperate to stick to his talking point.
My household income has quadrupled over the last 10 years. Every one I know personally are doing the best in life they have ever been.

Reactions: JAL

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like a lot of other people in the US make pretty much the same money today (maybe plus 25% ) while prices for milk , gas and pretty much the same cars minus electronic gizmos I can do without have been going up 400 %…Same with housing , rent , etc…People cant afford the things anymore they could years ago and are maxed out in debt…I am glad I can still able to afford a decend car and motorcycle but changing every or every other year I dont do anymore because these days are gone as also there is almost nothing out there anymore worth getting excited about and the few things priced for the 1% only…A Mustang for $300K is not crazy but INSANE just as a example to prove my point…That is Ferrari money !
I think you're confusing inflation over the last ~3 years with over the last ~30 years. And we know who to blame for that.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
The Dark Horse is a good car. I was going to get one but went with the GT after driving both. On the track the DH is a beast, but for me it'll just be a daily driver and I couldn't tell any difference between the two with the 14hp difference. The DH drove nicer than my GT because the DH had magneride, but I didn't care enough to get it on my GT.

If you plan to drag the car or just use it as a daily get the GT. If you just want the top of the line current Mustang or want to track the car get the DH.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The Dark Horse is a good car. I was going to get one but went with the GT after driving both. On the track the DH is a beast, but for me it'll just be a daily driver and I couldn't tell any difference between the two with the 14hp difference. The DH drove nicer than my GT because the DH had magneride, but I didn't care enough to get it on my GT.

If you plan to drag the car or just use it as a daily get the GT. If you just want the top of the line current Mustang or want to track the car get the DH.
I agree with you …

My daily driver when I used to commute to work was a GT pp1 a10 … was an absolute blast as a daily driver

I would never use my 350r as a daily

Lmw34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The only people that still like GT350s are homers, several of my friends have had them and couldn’t wait to sell them, including a 350R. The cars look amazing but are slow AF without boost, and no one wants to boost what’s gonna end up being a 25K voodoo replacement.

for over half of the country it’s WINTER still… at least wait until August.

I think they’re an absolute bargain fwiw.
capt picard face palm.jpg

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I agree with you …

My daily driver when I used to commute to work was a GT pp1 a10 … was an absolute blast as a daily driver

I would never use my 350r as a daily
That was my issue. The GT350 is one of my favorite Mustangs ever. When I got my GT I had the opportunity to buy a used GT350 with 3k miles for 64k. I really wanted it, but I can only afford to have one vehicle and wasn't sure I'd want a 350 as my daily.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
That was my issue. The GT350 is one of my favorite Mustangs ever. When I got my GT I had the opportunity to buy a used GT350 with 3k miles for 64k. I really wanted it, but I can only afford to have one vehicle and wasn't sure I'd want a 350 as my daily.
Daily driving a 350 would be difficult for me as well.
Sponsored