• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse Driveline Clunk

Ike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2024 Mustang Dark Horse
At about the 500-mile mark, I've developed a "clunk" sound that seems to occur around 29mph when slowing to a stop at a traffic light, etc. It seems to occur when it downshifts into 5th. The transmission shifts fine and doesn't have the gear hunting and other issues I've read about with the 10r80, but now, after reading about all the issues with this transmission, I'm concerned there may be a problem. The "clunk" does not occur when accelerating, only when decelerating.

The only harsh shifting I've experienced was one time around 300 miles in Sport mode, acclerating moderately, and then needed to hit the brakes when a dog ran in front of me, at which time it downshifted quickly, chirping the tires.

Does this sound like a transmission problem, possibly a CDF drum, or something else? I've gotten under to see if any suspension or drive shaft components are loose or show signs of hitting, but I didn't find anything. Will try to setup an appointment with the dealer this week.
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
As great as the 10a is…. The 10a in my previous Mustang and the one in my truck will randomly do the same thing… definitely not every time but every so often. I have 40k miles on my truck now with no big problems if that helps

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
It gets better when you get more miles on it. I have 2018 f150 with an A10 had it reprogramed it got better but shifts nowhere as nice as my GT at 3800 miles.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
At about the 500-mile mark, I've developed a "clunk" sound that seems to occur around 29mph when slowing to a stop at a traffic light, etc. It seems to occur when it downshifts into 5th. The transmission shifts fine and doesn't have the gear hunting and other issues I've read about with the 10r80, but now, after reading about all the issues with this transmission, I'm concerned there may be a problem. The "clunk" does not occur when accelerating, only when decelerating.

The only harsh shifting I've experienced was one time around 300 miles in Sport mode, acclerating moderately, and then needed to hit the brakes when a dog ran in front of me, at which time it downshifted quickly, chirping the tires.

Does this sound like a transmission problem, possibly a CDF drum, or something else? I've gotten under to see if any suspension or drive shaft components are loose or show signs of hitting, but I didn't find anything. Will try to setup an appointment with the dealer this week.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

Ike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Thank you for your interest. I sent the requested information to you.

MonsoonB8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
2024 Dark Horse with the same exact issue. 2500 miles or so. Going to dealer on Monday. Any updates on what happened with yours, by chance?

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
As great as the 10a is…. The 10a in my previous Mustang and the one in my truck will randomly do the same thing… definitely not every time but every so often. I have 40k miles on my truck now with no big problems if that helps
If you had problems with a car at 40k it's a bad car. Common' 40k is not a mileage where you should be worried about. If so, the car is bad.
Sponsored