• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cruise control out of control, found possible issue! Tolerance set to wrong value

Mritz7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang ecoboost premium
So, The Dealership called me today and ran through a few settings, and one that is new and I had never heard about previously. There is a Tolerance setting and my salesman set it at +20 when I got the car. Even the dealership has no idea why anyone would need this setting. If I want to drive 68 or 85 on adaptive cruise, that is where I want to be. I do not want to go 20 mph over that.

Just saying, folks!
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
the "tolerance" setting allows your adaptive cruise control to do up to 20 over or 20 under the speed limit it's seen. it also takes the tolerance into account when it sees a higher or lower speed limit and adjusts

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Now thatā€™s adaptiveā€¦. Pssssttt hey the coast is clear ā€¦ just need radar / laser / fuzz detector integration and we may be onto something. Butā€¦.

thatā€™s an interesting setting.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
So, The Dealership called me today and ran through a few settings, and one that is new and I had never heard about previously. There is a Tolerance setting and my salesman set it at +20 when I got the car. Even the dealership has no idea why anyone would need this setting. If I want to drive 68 or 85 on adaptive cruise, that is where I want to be. I do not want to go 20 mph over that.

Just saying, folks!
Thats insane - this is a case of not KISS - too much tech

OP
OP

Mritz7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now thatā€™s adaptiveā€¦. Pssssttt hey the coast is clear ā€¦ just need radar / laser / fuzz detector integration and we may be onto something. Butā€¦.

thatā€™s an interesting setting.
Interesting it is.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Just saying, folks!
So is this tolerence setting something that we (the owners) can easily adjust?

CarGuyBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse Blue Ember - 22 Mach-E GTPE - Bronco
Donā€™t have my Mustang Dark Horse Yet but on my Mach E GTPE when you have speed sign recognition turned on with adaptive cruise control you can set a tolerance (normally I drive 5 to 7 over the posted limit) so when the zone is recognized by the cruse instead of 70 it will do 75 or what ever you have set. It seems to work well but where I live a lot of the side roads are not correct in the Ford System it is not seeing the sign it is going by the data that is submitted to the mapping company. The street leading up to my street is marked 35 and my speed limit sign on the dash says 55.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Man you guys really need to read the manual. And maybe take a look through the settings when something seems out of place.

Glad it wasn't anything major!

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple comments:

1. Instead of being quick to blame the victim, who we should be criticizing is the Salesperson who was jockeying around with the OP's settings (unbeknowst to them) and delivered the car to him in that fashion. It's perfectly reasonable for the OP to have the expectation that they're receiving a retail order with factory settings without having to micromanage every nook & cranny of the vehicle with a fine tooth comb.

2. The manual isn't really all that clear with respect to how the "Intelligent Speed Limiter" (which is apparently the official name for this "tolerance" we're discussing) interacts with the Adaptive Cruise Control. This is all relatively new technology and it's understandable that some wouldn't be able to easily make the connection between the two.

OP
OP

Mritz7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple comments:

1. Instead of being quick to blame the victim, who we should be ciriticizing is the Salesperson who was jockeying around with the OP's settings (unbeknowst to them) and delivered the car to him in that fashion. It's perfectly reasonable for the OP to have the expectation that they're receiving a retail order with factory settings without having to micromanage every nook & cranny of the vehicle with a fine tooth comb.

2. The manual isn't really all that clear with respect to how the "Intelligent Speed Limiter" (which is apparently the official name for this "tolerance" we're discussing) interacts with the Adaptive Cruise Control. This is all relatively new technology and it's understandable that some wouldn't be able to easily make the connection between the two.
Well put sir

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
S650 Mustang Cruise control out of control, found possible issue! Tolerance set to wrong value 1695319808548

RTFM

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Correct, but I think it is a wasteful feature.
If you always go 5 MPH over the speed limit and don't want to adjust when you go through a small town on the interstate, it can read the 45 MPH sign and drop down to 50MPH, then back up to 80MPH when the sign says 75MPH. I'm sure it's not perfect though and I haven't had a chance to use it, but it's a smart way to combine the intelligent cruise feature with your own preferences. If you don't like it just simply turn it or both off and set cruise manually

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
A couple comments:

1. Instead of being quick to blame the victim, who we should be criticizing is the Salesperson who was jockeying around with the OP's settings (unbeknowst to them) and delivered the car to him in that fashion. It's perfectly reasonable for the OP to have the expectation that they're receiving a retail order with factory settings without having to micromanage every nook & cranny of the vehicle with a fine tooth comb.

Perhaps upon receiving the car we should do a factory reset to ensure that all settings are at the factory default...

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps upon receiving the car we should do a factory reset to ensure that all settings are at the factory default...
The point is, we shouldn't have to.

Fortunately, the OP's situation seems to be a one-off ordeal.
Sponsored