• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
It looks like the door still has some sharp creases and muscular surfacing. Looks like you really have to see it in person to notice the difference it makes. I also wasn't a massive fan at first of the longer, flater rear deck, I like seeing fastbacks stretched all the way to the decklid. That said, it accentuates and enhances the rear end, making it look more muscular without going
They made it more dynamic (I know, such a cliche design term ugh). All of the changes accentuate length in profile. The side treatment loses those awesome scalloped body lines BUT it does an amazing job of enhancing the coke bottle, pinched-waist effect that makes the hips look wider and the front fenders more resolute. The doors look slimmer but thatā€™s only because the jambs are hidden in the undercut, which is neat.

By removing the rear fender line that ran through the gas cap and extending the rear deck lid out even further (pronounced by the extreme kink that bisects the trunk panel), and then adding a character line that emphasizes the rear decklidā€™s edge (fading into the fender), you get a car thatā€™s proportionally identical but visually transformed.

I know these rambles sound like Iā€™m breathing in my own farts and obsessing over minute design details but Iā€™m honestly impressed at the execution and how effortlessly they emphasize the right proportions.
This is where I totally disagree with what people are saying. I think you totally lose the "coke bottle" shape and drastically lose the 3D quality of the overall design, especially at the shoulders. The S550 is way more sculpted and detailed with it's lines where the S650 is more rounded and smooth with far less detail present; it gains aggression from overstylized elements and a hard to miss "Cyber Terminator year 3000 super computer" cold and "digital" kind of vibe where the S550 just has a far more classic and "here's a car" warm and "analog" type of vibe...especially with the 15-17s. It really is the SN95 all over again as far as styling goes.

S550 totally has a 65-68 type of thing with it's lines and linear stance where the S650 is more of a 69 with a wedge type of thing going on. Both are far more similar than different and call the S650 a refresh though as opposed to reinventing the wheel lol. But as far as stance goes...S550 is far more grounded and really does the classic straight-line fastback thing where the S650 has more of a forward/upward "pounce" to it with a lot of the difference between the two cars coming from the body lines and how the S650 angles downward towards the front shoulders as opposed to straight like the S550.

S650 Mustang Couple of new EcoBoost S650 Mustang photos [from Texas State Fair] Comparativa-visual-Ford-Mustang-2024-2
Sponsored

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
This is where I totally disagree with what people are saying. I think you totally lose the "coke bottle" shape and drastically lose the 3D quality of the overall design, especially at the shoulders. The S550 is way more sculpted and detailed with it's lines where the S650 is more rounded and smooth with far less detail present; it gains aggression from overstylized elements where the S550 just has a far more classy look. S550 totally has a 65-68 type of thing with it's lines and linear stance where the S650 is more of a 69 with a wedge type of thing going on. Both are far more similar than different and call the S650 a refresh though as opposed to reinventing the wheel lol. But as far as stance goes...S550 is far more grounded and really does the classic straight-line fastback thing where the S650 has more of a forward/upward "pounce" to it with a lot of the difference between the two cars coming from the body lines and how the S650 angles downward towards the front shoulders as opposed to straight like the S550.

Comparativa-visual-Ford-Mustang-2024-2.jpg
Hey, valid take. I disagree with some of it but I understand what you're saying. The S650 is modernized and inline with current surfacing trends in the industry. FWIW, I found the S550 just as trendy (and still as beautiful as my first impression) for a mid-2010s design. To be more specific, the hard lines in the side that create the convex and concave transitions have been staples for the better part of a decade at this point and the S550 made excellent use of them. Have you noticed how modern cars have slowly toned this down in favor of smoother, more deliberate overall surfacing? The latest trends have been focused on resolved geometry and tidied reflections.

Almost every surface on the S650 has been refined with this notion in mind. It's also why newer and newer vehicles almost always translate poorly to 2D impressions and why it's been very common to hear that "[this car] looks way better in person," because it helps to see real time lighting bending around sheetmetal. Older cars (old being relative of course) with stamped hard lines, even cars like the S550 with hard, defined light-capturing sculpting will photograph way better than something like an S650 simply because of the static contrast and more graphical detailing. This gets truer the further you go back. Think 60-80s hard-stamped body lines. It's like penning an actual line when a photo's taken.

Also, when I'm referring to the Coke bottle effect, I'm referring to the way the front fender sucks into the rear fender along with the exaggerated rocker section. I'm wondering if you're referring to the vacuum-sealed look that the S550's two main character lines create.

I'll try to find some comparable photos of the S550 and S650 (and examples where the top half of the car isn't washed out like in the S650 above) and break out a shitty paint app to illustrate. Might make a thread about it. Depends how much time I'm considering wasting on a forum post tbh. I'll @ you if I make one.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
They made it more dynamic (I know, such a cliche design term ugh). All of the changes accentuate length in profile. The side treatment loses those awesome scalloped body lines BUT it does an amazing job of enhancing the coke bottle, pinched-waist effect that makes the hips look wider and the front fenders more resolute. The doors look slimmer but thatā€™s only because the jambs are hidden in the undercut, which is neat.

By removing the rear fender line that ran through the gas cap and extending the rear deck lid out even further (pronounced by the extreme kink that bisects the trunk panel), and then adding a character line that emphasizes the rear decklidā€™s edge (fading into the fender), you get a car thatā€™s proportionally identical but visually transformed.

I know these rambles sound like Iā€™m breathing in my own farts and obsessing over minute design details but Iā€™m honestly impressed at the execution and how effortlessly they emphasize the right proportions.
Well hey, if you're breathing in your own farts and obsessing over small design details, it just means you've earned your place on this site. But it all seriousness,I agree with you. Your eye is drawn towards the proportions and surfacing overall.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
This is where I totally disagree with what people are saying. I think you totally lose the "coke bottle" shape and drastically lose the 3D quality of the overall design, especially at the shoulders. The S550 is way more sculpted and detailed with it's lines where the S650 is more rounded and smooth with far less detail present; it gains aggression from overstylized elements and a hard to miss "Cyber Terminator year 3000 super computer" cold and "digital" kind of vibe where the S550 just has a far more classic and "here's a car" warm and "analog" type of vibe...especially with the 15-17s. It really is the SN95 all over again as far as styling goes.

S550 totally has a 65-68 type of thing with it's lines and linear stance where the S650 is more of a 69 with a wedge type of thing going on. Both are far more similar than different and call the S650 a refresh though as opposed to reinventing the wheel lol. But as far as stance goes...S550 is far more grounded and really does the classic straight-line fastback thing where the S650 has more of a forward/upward "pounce" to it with a lot of the difference between the two cars coming from the body lines and how the S650 angles downward towards the front shoulders as opposed to straight like the S550.

Comparativa-visual-Ford-Mustang-2024-2.jpg
I see where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. The front and rear fenders are more pronounced on the s650. The way I see it's the s650 has a more muscular, sharper, and well defined overall body shape with more subtle details. Whereas the s550 is sharper details with a more subtle and toned down overall shape. From experience, I know designs that rely more heavily on surfacing like the s650 only come alive when seen in person. Most people who've seen it irl have said it looks way better.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I think we have to see the car in personal to really have a real impression how the car looks. From what I can read out of all the pictures I am sure the hard edges, the more flat rear and higher frontend will give the car a way more classic muscle car look like the 1967 or 1970. To me the S550 refresh always had a way too "european look" with very low frontend and every line is smoothed out, very Audi oder Mercedes like, from the 3 competitors it clearly looks the least classic muscle.

I am absolutely sure people will be surprised how different the car will look in person. They really pulled some very clever design cues to stretch or clinch certain elements, like increasing the front heigth visually further by setting the DRL to the upper line of the frontend or using the lower crease on the side to make the doors appear shorter.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
I think we have to see the car in personal to really have a real impression how the car looks. From what I can read out of all the pictures I am sure the hard edges, the more flat rear and higher frontend will give the car a way more classic muscle car look like the 1967 or 1970. To me the S550 refresh always had a way too "european look" with very low frontend and every line is smoothed out, very Audi oder Mercedes like, from the 3 competitors it clearly looks the least classic muscle.

I am absolutely sure people will be surprised how different the car will look in person. They really pulled some very clever design cues to stretch or clinch certain elements, like increasing the front heigth visually further by setting the DRL to the upper line of the frontend or using the lower crease on the side to make the doors appear shorter.
You know, all the things you say here are well said and also probably the reason I 'prefer' the 550, even though I like the exterior of the 650. Back in '19 I was looking for a nice looking sports coupe with 'a little muscle' to go along with it. I got the 4T and not the GT, because I was not looking for straight line speed, but a decent handling, nice-looking sporty coupe with more than average power and leather seats.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
" the coke bottle, pinched-waist effect " oh boy where did all this discussion lead us to :D

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Y'all may have no need of more photos, especially after that Youtube video was posted. But I was at the Fair a couple days ago and took a few photos, especially of the rear. Here ya go.....

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0401.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg
Alright, I think I'm officially on board with the new rear end. This design is just the perfect way to send off ICE powered mustangs if it ends up being the last one. The design feels even more timeless than the s550, and that's saying something.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Some argue that the S650 should get a rear wing as it would look "naked" without one, but the more I see the model above without any rear wing, it grows on me even more. In my current GT I also don't have the wing as I always thought it doesn't fit the silhouette of the car.

With the S650 I think the wing takes the spot of the beautiful rear of the car. As I have previously posted somewhere, this model gives me certain Aston Martin Vibes from the back.

S650 Mustang Couple of new EcoBoost S650 Mustang photos [from Texas State Fair] aston martin rear.JPG

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Is the S650 the same as the S550 as the New Edge was to the SN95?
Sponsored